Post-Game Talk: Suddenly the schedule doesn’t look so bad

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I heard Friedman said "the Oilers are more than happy to face the Kings."

Although the Preds are currently lower in the standings, they have more points than the Kings, and have been blazing hot the last couple months @Oilhawks

Oilers are 3-0-1 this season against Kings and eliminated them from the playoffs the last 2 seasons.

Seems those who watched the game, feel their was an earnest effort, however.

I was just looking for some sparks to ignite the rocket and aim it for Uranus.
Leave uranus alone, you sicko!:D

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Knoblauch has coach one game against them :laugh:
it was our 3rd game in 4 nights and without 97 and Vancouver squeaked by the Oilers by 1 goal...they hardly dominated

I remember when the Oilers lost 3 consecutive game to the Flames in 2022...3-1, then 9-5 on March 26th...then 9-6 in Game 1...absolutely pounded
everyone counted us out ....and all we did was win 4 straight games
Totally agree - AND we went down 2-0 and 3-1 in game 2 and came back to win…

I was at the game last night and to me I don’t think half this team gave one sh*t about the result to be honest…which is fine as long as that switch can be flipped come playoffs

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
The Game was so bad last night thought the Arena was okay and was not blown away or anything 11 dollars for a small bag of popcorn is outrageous $15 for a glass of pint well I watched the game dry, and Nurse and Mcleod were ASS, not one flipping line driver on this team except McDavid and this game shoewed how bad we need him out there. TBH I enjoy the games better on TV

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
One thing about the last two games is the three wild card players that can either be really good or really bad have all been really bad two in a row. That’s Nurse, McLeod, Bouchard.

If those three play to their ability they are quality impact players, and were just that against the Avalanche and Knights. Then the last two all three have been a complete joke. All three displaying the lethal combo of dumb + lazy.

Good or bad, you more or less know what you’re gonna get from everyone else. The key to winning is the play of these three, and that’s a scary thought.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Like... even the guys playing are probably taking it easy and on purpose as well , it's just get into the playoffs feeling the best possible

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I really don't know what to expect at all. I'd agree that heavy pressure is our weakness because we have some players who can be counted on to screw up under pressure, but perhaps in a system we didn't have last year this problem will be minimized.

As for the level of competition during the season, that is such a crapshoot. Players do not give 100% every game, with Drai being notorious for this, but this is likely even more true for older players like Perry, Kane and Henrique. Even Nuge. So playoffs will be a different animal. Our guys can ramp up their play just like anyone else.
I think that this issue is primarily about puck support. The player with the puck needs options and if they arent available (he cant see any outlets with a quick read) then mistakes are more likely to happen.

I saw a few plays in last nights game where the dman had the puck and had no short or medium range options to pass to. The players had blown the zone.
That is/was a sign for me that the forwards (for whatever reason) were not fully enagaged in the game.
It could be because Vancouvers style of play threw them off their game or that emotionally they just didnt have it. No excuse for that considering the magnitude of the game but sometimes it happens.

I do think though that stylistically the Canucks are a bad match for this team but I would like to see the team fully enagaged and playing well with McDavid in the lineup before I can know for sure.

One thing is becoming clear...this team isnt Vegas. Vegas has enough high end depth that losing their best forward (Eichel), or even 2 of their best forwards doesnt affect things all that much.
When McDavid is out of the lineup this team looks noticably slower and has me significantly less confident in their ability to finish.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think that this issue is primarily about puck support. The player with the puck needs options and if they arent available then mistakes are more likely to happen.

I saw a few plays in last nights game where the dman had the puck and had no short or medium range options to pass to. The players had blown the zone.
That is/was a sign for me that the forwards (for whatever reason) were not fully enagaged in the game.
It could be because Vancouvers style of play threw them off their game or that emotionally they just didnt have it. No excuse for that considering the magnitude of the game but sometimes it happens.
I do think that stylistically the Canucks are a bad for for this team but I would like to see the team fully enagaged with McDavid in the lineup before I can know for sure.

One thing is becoming clear...this team isnt Vegas. Vegas has enough high end depth that losing their best forward (Eichel), or even 2 of their best forwards doesnt affect things all that much.
When McDavid is out of the lineup this team looks noticably slower and has me significantly less confident in their ability to finish.
Last game would give that impression but to me it looked like both teams were trying to play a real D first system, maybe extra conservative with McDavid absent. So it wasn't going to be a high scoring game. Not many PPs either.

Also obviously McDavid is such a huge deal that any team who had him would have our issue where the team identity is so different when he's not there. Quite frankly Vegas doesn't have anyone like that although missing Stone was close. They did start losing a lot without him. Maybe if our team had weeks to play without McDavid we would adapt.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Last game would give that impression but to me it looked like both teams were trying to play a real D first system, maybe extra conservative with McDavid absent. So it wasn't going to be a high scoring game. Not many PPs either.

Also obviously McDavid is such a huge deal that any team who had him would have our issue where the team identity is so different when he's not there. Quite frankly Vegas doesn't have anyone like that although missing Stone was close. They did start losing a lot without him. Maybe if our team had weeks to play without McDavid we would adapt.
Its possible but I do think that overall (especially in terms of the long term outlook) this team is too old and too slow. Now that may work quite well for a this years playoff grind but for next season IMO it has to change if this team is going to amount to anything moving forward.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I really don't know what to expect at all. I'd agree that heavy pressure is our weakness because we have some players who can be counted on to screw up under pressure, but perhaps in a system we didn't have last year this problem will be minimized.

As for the level of competition during the season, that is such a crapshoot. Players do not give 100% every game, with Drai being notorious for this, but this is likely even more true for older players like Perry, Kane and Henrique. Even Nuge. So playoffs will be a different animal. Our guys can ramp up their play just like anyone else.
I would say we have guys that could and would ramp up their play more than some of our opponents do. Thing is Nucks look to be playing to their potential or around it. Other clubs are half checked out by game 80.

I'll be specifically interested in how Henrique, Kane, Perry do in playoffs this season. We need those guys.

We know with McD and Drai they will be there. With bells on.

its the scary thing about the Oilers to opponents. you don't know what top game looks like now that Booch has had his coming out season, and that the team has acquired two more talented forwards in Henrique and Perry.

Its why we watch man. best sport, best postseason, and getting to best time of year.

Gotta hand it to you too with the levelness you always seem to have. Your name isn't being misused.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would say we have guys that could and would ramp up their play more than some of our opponents do. Thing is Nucks look to be playing to their potential or around it. Other clubs are half checked out by game 80.

I'll be specifically interested in how Henrique, Kane, Perry do in playoffs this season. We need those guys.

We know with McD and Drai they will be there. With bells on.

its the scary thing about the Oilers to opponents. you don't know what top game looks like now that Booch has had his coming out season, and that the team has acquired two more talented forwards in Henrique and Perry.

Its why we watch man. best sport, best postseason, and getting to best time of year.

Gotta hand it to you too with the levelness you always seem to have. Your name isn't being misused.
I'd like to see stats around older veterans in the season vs playoffs. I bet there is a huge difference in that they are way better in the playoffs, likely because they don't push hard in the season.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I find when there's one person ahead of you they always order more than if there were 5 people ahead of you.
It’s like the grocery store lineups. I have some kind of a gift to always pick the line that will end up having the longest wait, even if in theory the one I choose is the correct one. The cashier will have an issue with the till or the scanner, the person will end up paying in nickels or will apparently never have used a credit card in their life, etc. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Knobbkauch might be the worst coach in the league for deciding on when to pull the goalie. To many times he’s pulled the goalie when we don’t have sustained possession, the bottom six is out or it’s way to early to do it.
There was lots wrong with what occurred. But going back the Oilers had an Ozone faceoff with 3.5 mins left and another faceoff in neutral zone with just under 3mins left.

Thing is Why would you have Perry out on the ice at all in that situation? The worst GA player we have. Who was -3 in the game. With less than 3mins left we had Henrique Centering Kane and Perry and with the pair of Nurse and Ceci who were both garbage in this game. We decided to pull and throw Drai out in midplay, and when Drai stepped out Nucks were already breaking out. Not even enough time to get in zone or impact play. Drai got on ice already behind the Nucks empty net breakout. Skinner jumped off as Garland already had puck in a wide open spot.

Could say as well Skinner is looking up ice but jumps off anyway? WTF? When Skinner Jumped off the Nucks had the puck. He has to have awarenss in that situation to scramble back. It was like he figured "Its not my problem". You could even see Ekholm on the bench concerned as Nucks have the puck and Skinner is jumping on the bench.

Kudos as well to a dumb as rocks forced shot by Perry who relinquished the puck as we're pulling the goalie and that resulted in losing the puck. Perry wasn't even pressured. You'd think a vet with 25yrs in the league experience would know just hold there until you get your extra man in play. ffs Not only does he shoot right into the block he uses a telegraphed slapshot. my f***ing lord

Perry is an Oiler and he's still killing us. The same guy that was reaming out Kane just days ago for not making the right plays on ice was doing what Corey Perry was doing all day yesterday. Being awful.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There was lots wrong with what occurred. But going back the Oilers had an Ozone faceoff with 3.5 mins left and another faceoff in neutral zone with just under 3mins left.

Thing is Why would you have Perry out on the ice at all in that situation? The worst GA player we have. Who was -3 in the game. With less than 3mins left we had Henrique Centering Kane and Perry and with the pair of Nurse and Ceci who were both garbage in this game. We decided to pull and throw Drai out in midplay, and when Drai stepped out Nucks were already breaking out. Not even enough time to get in zone or impact play. Drai got on ice already behind the Nucks empty net breakout. Skinner jumped off as Garland already had puck in a wide open spot.

Could say as well Skinner is looking up ice but jumps off anyway? WTF? When Skinner Jumped off the Nucks had the puck. He has to have awarenss in that situation to scramble back. It was like he figured "Its not my problem".

Kudos as well to a dumb as rocks forced shot by Perry as well who relinquished the puck as we're pulling the goalie and that resulted in losing the puck. Perry wasn't even pressured. You'd think a vet with 25yrs in the league experience would know just hold there until you get your extra man in play. ffs Not only does he shoot into the block he uses a telegraphed slapshot. my f***ing lord
Kane should have publicly yelled at Perry on the bench after that.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
lol. Really it would be forthcoming. Said the same thing. Perry was awful all game. Not sure where his head was at but was as if he was being paid by the Canucks. The worst Oiler in the game, easily.
Time to rest him. Put Gagner in the remaining games until playoffs. Ol' man Perry showing his age .

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Its possible but I do think that overall (especially in terms of the long term outlook) this team is too old and too slow. Now that may work quite well for a this years playoff grind but for next season IMO it has to change if this team is going to amount to anything moving forward.
The Oilers literally have a 2 year window. There is no way around this

It makes it so shocking that a two year player like Buch wasn't traded to the Oilers.

Massive strike out.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I can't believe Vegas came back to win. We might play them yet. They have an easier schedule than the kings.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
What do you mean, it's will make 5 games in 7 days right before the playoffs. The games are meaningless, get rested and take the Ls.

The Oilers don't owe the league anything
The Oilers should make a mockery of the League and the last game they should dick around and make it look OBVIOUS. Be snotty

I can't believe Vegas came back to win. We might play them yet. They have an easier schedule than the kings.
Yup and it is not a team we want to play....

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
so why in the world would you want to face Nashville as opposed to LA?
There is now a distinc possibility the Oilers will have to face Las Vegas. Their remaining games are against bottom feeders, whereas LA has a game against Minnesota.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad