Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
...your goalie seems to let in one bad goal a game...last nite two..I would switch for Tues......Musty and Goyette had terrible body language in the third....but Goyette is going to help Kraken....
At times it appears our three headed monster are playing not to get hurt. They don't battle in the corners. When picking up the puck on side boards under pressure they don't care how they get rid of it it seems they don't want to take the hit to make the right pass or play. Hence you see them tentative and coughing up pucks to the middle of the ice in their own zone. If these guys don't come out to play hard and get involved physically and when I say that I mean leaning on guys, forechecking hard, compete hard, then the series is over.

Another important observation. Play Delic in the middle with Goyette. They have proven time and time again that they will create offence. Those guys have chemistry always have. Were in the Mississauga series as well. Why MacKenzie mixed up those two has got to be worst move all playoffs. It's not rocket science.

WJ

Last edited:

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
The wolves crew is not the worst, but close.
Ranjan is quite good, but unable to contain his battalion bias right now. I do mostly agree with his take on the refs though. Arnsby getting 6 games when much of the damage to Hemstrom occurred after the hit by another player’s leg/skate while those that injured Romani and DiVincentis go unpunished is just wrong.
Theberge is just awesome imo. I’ll bet he is a great resource for battalion players.
What also makes Greg Theberge great is that he was on the 1979 Memorial Cup Champion Peterborough Petes team!

• Haha
Reactions: dirty12

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Another important observation. Play Delic in the middle with Goyette. They have proven time and time again that they will create offence. Those guys have chemistry always have. Were in the Mississauga series as well. Why MacKenzie mixed up those two has got to be worst move all playoffs. It's not rocket science.
If MacKenzie has proven one thing, it's he has no clue how to construct lines. Once and a while he stumbles his way into something that works, and then immediately dismantles it.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Well very disappointing, especially for those of us who made the trip. I think if more had they’d understand, believe me, it looked even worse in person. Kind of hard not be sour. It’s one thing to lose but it’s the way they lost. Trying the same fancy stuff that worked during the regular season against lesser opponents. I can’t understand how there haven’t been adjustments made as anyone could tell you that wasn’t going to work against North Bay.
Once again, the goaltender we gave up two third round picks for was totally outclassed by a back up and gave up his usual bad goals, including the first shot! Hey fellas, there’s some confidence for you to start the game. Just when Vondras was starting to look like a goalie.
I agree I broke my ankles after the game and you’d be hard pressed to blame anyone else for jumping off after seeing that. I can only hope I have a reason to find a doctor who can mend them.
Need the next two home games. Let’s see how they come out. Are they going to waste this opportunity or are they going to at least give it everything they have and let the chips fall where they may. Their crowd was loud and obnoxious (cheers to the lady who told me to f..k off when trying to park and with her son in the car to boot. Class personified). Let’s hope our crowd makes it just as uncomfortable for them less the lack of class.

...your goalie seems to let in one bad goal a game...last nite two..I would switch for Tues......Musty and Goyette had terrible body language in the third....but Goyette is going to help Kraken....
Can we switch for your backup ;)

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
At time it appears our three headed monster are playing not to get hurt. They don't battle in the corners. When picking up the puck on side boards under pressure they don't care how they get rid of it it seems they don't want to take the hit to make the right pass or play. Hence you see them tentative and coughing up pucks to the middle of the ice in their own zone. If these guys don't come out to play hard and get involved physically and when I say that I mean leaning on guys, forechecking hard, compete hard, then the series is over.

WJ
It's not in their DNA.

Perhaps they can try and have a Yearwood on that line. They need someone to get them the puck. As so far, they look incapable of getting it themselves in the O zone.

On the D side, same thing not in their DNA. Not willin to pay sacrifice.

Goyette tries to mix it up but not his game. Musty, never along with dvorsky.

I'm really not sure what can be done to change what we've witnessed. I guess wait till game 3 to access.

Wolves fan

Nov 7, 2021
Ill say it again. Mckenzie should of step down when the emergency press conference was called. Hes so loss. Why reunite the big 3. They suck together. Musty as lots of work to do before becoming a pro. Dvorski slows down the game to much. He lost interest now. Ken how come no line adjustment after the first period????? The game was so boring last night. He should of put krawchuk in after the second goal. Like someone said we were better with protz and toure then van vliet and giroux.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Ill say it again. Mckenzie should of step down when the emergency press conference was called. Hes so loss. Why reunite the big 3. They suck together. Musty as lots of work to do before becoming a pro. Dvorski slows down the game to much. He lost interest now. Ken how come no line adjustment after the first period????? The game was so boring last night. He should of put krawchuk in after the second goal. Like someone said we were better with protz and toure then van vliet and giroux.
Yep. I can think of better ways of spending a couple hundred bucks to be bored. It wasn’t a tremendously popular opinion but I said earlier in the season that Musty is nowhere near ready to be a pro and he continues to prove it in spades. The crowd was taunting, him mercilessly, and I can’t say I blame them, he makes it so easy. Dvorsky looks like he belongs in some soft euro league. To me, it’s all about pride from here on in. How do they want to be remembered?

It's not in their DNA.

Perhaps they can try and have a Yearwood on that line. They need someone to get them the puck. As so far, they look incapable of getting it themselves in the O zone.

On the D side, same thing not in their DNA. Not willin to pay sacrifice.

Goyette tries to mix it up but not his game. Musty, never along with dvorsky.

I'm really not sure what can be done to change what we've witnessed. I guess wait till game 3 to access.
North Bay was hungrier all around. Wolves did not look like they wanted to pay the price. Great game day preparation.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah but the hockey was beer league compared to now ;)
Many of the players in the OHL now would quit if they found themselves in a game 25-35 years ago.

I bet this is the best team the wolves ever had. They look good on paper but on the ice it’s difererent. You put a good coach behind the bench and we would of went far. Lets bounce back and win the next 2
That is assuming the vast majority of the wolves roster could be coached. We are seeing the result of Papineau’s team under Papineau’s coach.

Reactions: I Loveallsports

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Many of the players in the OHL now would quit if they found themselves in a game 25-35 years ago.

That is assuming the vast majority of the wolves roster could be coached. We are seeing the result of Papineau’s team under Papineau’s coach.
It was obviously tongue in cheek. Agree the league is completely powder puff compared to back in the day.

Duke of Wellington

Apr 16, 2019
At times it appears our three headed monster are playing not to get hurt. They don't battle in the corners. When picking up the puck on side boards under pressure they don't care how they get rid of it it seems they don't want to take the hit to make the right pass or play. Hence you see them tentative and coughing up pucks to the middle of the ice in their own zone. If these guys don't come out to play hard and get involved physically and when I say that I mean leaning on guys, forechecking hard, compete hard, then the series is over.

WJ
Sadly it looks like flights are booked and the mailman has mailed it in.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
FWIW... the language directed at the coach by 11-27-89 was absolutely disgusting. I don't care if it's out of frustration, no player should talk like that to a coach. And no coach should tolerate that either. Just an observation!!

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
FWIW... the language directed at the coach by 11-27-89 was absolutely disgusting. I don't care if it's out of frustration, no player should talk like that to a coach. And no coach should tolerate that either. Just an observation!!
What was said?

Reactions: yacky

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Looks like a negativity overload here - I don't think the players have given up even if some fans have. Home wins in games 3 and 4 and suddenly everybody would be excited again. The key is finding a way to win on the road because obviously If NB wins each home game - they advance.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I’m not sure what the point of posting that is if you’re not going to elaborate. Seems to happen a lot on this board.

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
The reason they get away with it is because this team doesnt preach accountability. Its not the first time I've heard our top guys tell Kenny to F**k off.

This is the culture Big daddy Paps built.

Reactions: Samee987
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad