Sudbury Wolves 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Well put, however I am confused at the 5 lines not sure how many they are aloud to carry for regular season.
Just prioritizing the lines and indicating the extra depth! Obviously they can’t carry that many and I would hate to see someone just dropped from the roster for nothing. I see a possible trade where we give up 2 players for one in the the near future or a release of either two of Biondi, Smith, Crowder or Manikis. I can’t see them sending down Assordoriun, Derbidge, Simpson. It will be hard to lose vets when we don’t have many to begin with. So IMO I see a trade happening. Manikis and Larmond for a scoring overage forward.

WJ

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Just prioritizing the lines and indicating the extra depth! Obviously they can’t carry that many and I would hate to see someone just dropped from the roster for nothing. I see a possible trade where we give up 2 players for one in the the near future or a release of either two of Biondi, Smith, Crowder or Manikis. I can’t see them sending down Assordoriun, Derbidge, Simpson. It will be hard to lose vets when we don’t have many to begin with. So IMO I see a trade happening. Manikis and Larmond for a scoring overage forward.

WJ

It blows my mind you keep pushing to trade Larmand(You could at least spell it properly given how many times you bring him up to shit all over him). He's been one of the better 2-way forward in the preseason, consistent offensive presence, good in the faceoff circle. They're not moving him.

Jack Timins

Sep 20, 2021
I don't think he is meaning to knock the kid. I think he is pretty solid but I agree on the importance of keeping the three young guys so they can learn and continue their development. The two mentioned might be the only package that gets something solid in return. I guess it all hinges on the finish kid, I know he has said he would rather play in the AHL but its not really his call.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I don't think he is meaning to knock the kid. I think he is pretty solid but I agree on the importance of keeping the three young guys so they can learn and continue their development. The two mentioned might be the only package that gets something solid in return. I guess it all hinges on the finish kid, I know he has said he would rather play in the AHL but its not really his call.
If it was one post, yes, but at this point, he's made dozens of posts about what a bad draft pick it was, and how Larmand is a bust.

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
It blows my mind you keep pushing to trade Larmand(You could at least spell it properly given how many times you bring him up to shit all over him). He's been one of the better 2-way forward in the preseason, consistent offensive presence, good in the faceoff circle. They're not moving him.
I agree with you Larmand is not flashy but gets it done...most impactful of him though is his Faceoffs... He doesn't lose to many Draws and the same can't be said for the rest of the Center's on the Team.(of course Stillman is coming back to help in that Dept.) I see no scenario where they can trade away 1 of their 2 best faceoff guys

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Chill out! You have to give something to get something. Never said the kid was crap so relax.

WJ

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I agree with you Larmand is not flashy but gets it done...most impactful of him though is his Faceoffs... He doesn't lose to many Draws and the same can't be said for the rest of the Center's on the Team.(of course Stillman is coming back to help in that Dept.) I see no scenario where they can trade away 1 of their 2 best faceoff guys
Unless you trade for another vet while giving up two guys. Maybe we secure a pick or two in the process. No doubt he’s been decent but you know something has to give!

WJ

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
It will be interesting to see what happens with the forwards. Especially once Stillman returns and if Tuomaala is assigned here. Wolves will carry 13 or 14 forwards (12 dress, plus 1 or 2 healthy scratches) on the active roster once the dust settles. There's lots of different angles to look at when it comes to the final forward spots being filled.

I count 10 locks up front right now (Musty, Assadourian, Goyette, Delic, Konyen, McCallum, Stillman*, Larmand, Degrazia, Manikis). That doesn't include Tuomaala which would make 11 locks up front.

For the final forward spots you've got a battle brewing between Derbidge (05), Simpson (04), Crowder (02), Biondi (02), Smith (02). Arguments could be made for each of these guys to stick around, but it's a numbers game and assignments/cuts will happen.

Interesting that both Derbidge and Simpson are signed with the Stouffville Spirit of the OJHL. Wolves have a very good relationship with Stouffville. I'm a huge fan of Derbidge from what I've seen from him so far - he's a gamer and tough to play against. But an argument could be made for these two guys - would they develop better this season playing in Sudbury, probably getting limited minutes and playing 4th line roles/healthy scratched, or playing in Stouffville and getting tons of minutes in all situations? Stouffville has a good track record in developing Wolves prospects. So there does exist that potential option for both Derbidge and Simpson. Then you have the 02's in Crowder, Biondi, Smith. Crowder is making things very interesting, I'll give him that.

Last edited:
Reactions: cub

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
It will be interesting to see what happens with the forwards. Especially once Stillman returns and if Tuomaala is assigned here. Wolves will carry 13 or 14 forwards (12 dress, plus 1 or 2 healthy scratches) on the active roster once the dust settles. There's lots of different angles to look at when it comes to the final forward spots being filled.

I count 10 locks up front right now (Musty, Assadourian, Goyette, Delic, Konyen, McCallum, Stillman*, Larmand, Degrazia, Manikis). That doesn't include Tuomaala which would make 11 locks up front.

For the final forward spots you've got a battle brewing between Derbidge (05), Simpson (04), Crowder (02), Biondi (02), Smith (02). Arguments could be made for each of these guys to stick around, but it's a numbers game and assignments/cuts will happen.

Interesting that both Derbidge and Simpson are signed with the Stouffville Spirit of the OJHL. Wolves have a very good relationship with Stouffville. I'm a huge fan of Derbidge from what I've seen from him so far - he's a gamer and tough to play against. But an argument could be made for these two guys, would they develop better this season playing in Sudbury, probably getting limited minutes and playing 4th line roles/healthy scratched, or playing in Stouffville and getting tons of minutes in all situations? Stouffville has a good track record in developing Wolves prospects. So there does exist that potential option for both Derbidge and Simpson. Then you have the 02's in Crowder, Biondi, Smith. Crowder is making things very interesting, I'll give him that.

Good points and observations. I do disagree on Manikis being a lock. He came in with high praise, high hopes and lots of promise, but honestly as much as I hoped he would blossom - ain't seeing it. I would add him as a trade piece and not as a lock.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Good points and observations. I do disagree on Manikis being a lock. He came in with high praise, high hopes and lots of promise, but honestly as much as I hoped he would blossom - ain't seeing it. I would add him as a trade piece and not as a lock.

I agree, Manikis still needs to prove himself as an OA worthy forward. I believe the Wolves are going to give him a chance, and they will start the season with him as one of their 3 OA's. Manikis really has no trade value at this time, he would probably be released if the Wolves went on to acquire an OA upgrade over him.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Manikis is not really much of a trade piece. There are a few teams with better extra OAs because there isn’t much of an OA market right now. I think the highest price paid for one so far was a 6th pick.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Musty-Stillman-Tuomaala
DeGrazia-Goyette-Konyen
Larmand-McCallum-Delic
Assadourian-Manikis-Simpson
Derbridge/Biondi/Crowder

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Is Stillman really going to start playing C now, after being drafted as a winger and most likely destined to be winger as a pro?

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Manikis is not really much of a trade piece. There are a few teams with better extra OAs because there isn’t much of an OA market right now. I think the highest price paid for one so far was a 6th pick.

I would agree as far as value, but was thinking of him as a package as suggested earlier - a 2 player for 1 kinda deal.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Musty-Stillman-Tuomaala
DeGrazia-Goyette-Konyen
Larmand-McCallum-Delic
Assadourian-Manikis-Simpson
Derbridge/Biondi/Crowder

I don’t see Manikis staying to be a fourth line player. It will be very interesting to see how all this pans out. Also missing Smith in your above lines. Too bad we will be losing a good character older player or a young player or two being sent down. I guess the one thing we can all agree on is that it’s a good problem to have when you have an abundance of talent.

Don’t envy Papineau at this point.

WJ

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
I don’t see Manikis staying to be a fourth line player. It will be very interesting to see how all this pans out. Also missing Smith in your above lines. Too bad we will be losing a good character older player or a young player or two being sent down. I guess the one thing we can all agree on is that it’s a good problem to have when you have an abundance of talent.

Don’t envy Papineau at this point.

WJ

My gut tells me both Simpson and Derbidge get assigned to Stouffville once exhibition season is over and Stillman returns. That would put the Wolves at 13 forwards, 7 dmen and 2 goalies. Have both Derbidge and Simpson play on Stouffville's top line together, have big seasons in the OJHL and get tons of ice time. When Wolves are down south playing and need bodies these two will be first call ups. I'm a big fan of both Simpson and Derbidge and both have shown very well so far. But I think Wolves will ride with 02's Biondi, Smith and Crowder to round out the bottom end of our forward line-up and rotate in/out of line-up.

Musty McCallum Stillman
Degrazia Goyette Manikis
Assadourian Larmand Biondi
Crowder Delic Konyen
extra: Smith
wildcard: Tuomaala

Last edited:
Reactions: cub

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Coe sent back to NB, Gushchin to Niagara.
The ice dogs now have 3-imoorts; one will need to be placed on waivers since none have played an OHL game, I think.
How is waiver priority determined; inverse order from 2019-20?

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops

Jack Timins

Sep 20, 2021
I personally like the 02 kids that are not locks. However they are not going to be here after this season so why bother sending the kids home. This is a new coach and I would want my young players practicing with me and know my systems inside and out. You can mold them into the players you want them to be. It would be different if the 02s were much better but they are pretty much even at this point. If the wildcard kid comes that almost makes it easier to have young kids as your 4th line and give them a chance to work their way up the line up from time to time. But what do I know, its above my pay grade.lol

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
They may not need to place an import on waivers until 7 days into the regular season. At that point they may use this season's standings to determine order.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
They may not need to place an import on waivers until 7 days into the regular season. At that point they may use this season's standings to determine order.
Does it really matter for Sudbury? We didn’t have any that reported.

WJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad