Sudbury Wolves 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Crowder is a main stay for this team, tough, grit and creates a lot of attention. He has more than proved himself from day one of trading camp. He deserves to be signed after last nights game and to start with the team come opening night. He is a players player and plays with the confidence of a vet. Only after he left the game in the third last night did Owen Sound start to take cheap shots at some of the smaller players.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Crowder is a main stay for this team, tough, grit and creates a lot of attention. He has more than proved himself from day one of trading camp. He deserves to be signed after last nights game and to start with the team come opening night. He is a players player and plays with the confidence of a vet. Only after he left the game in the third last night did Owen Sound start to take cheap shots at some of the smaller players.
Always need someone to keep the opposing players honest. So is the game live-streamed and can you watch it on replay?

cub

Apr 11, 2012

The game I went to see he didn't look out of place, physical and responsible. I never seen him fight, I heard he did well yesterday game. I did see the opposing team playing physical on our rookies, they had alot of push back which was nice to see. Might need Crowder to keep everyone honest.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Always need someone to keep the opposing players honest. So is the game live-streamed and can you watch it on replay?

Sudbury game wasn't live stream yesterday after been told it would be. These exhibition games it's hit or miss if they will live stream. I know the Soo is usually good at live streaming hoping to see it on the OHL Live package I purchased.

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
Where is the fanbase ? The Wolves are playing good hockey they deserve more than 400 spectators…

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Sudbury game wasn't live stream yesterday after been told it would be. These exhibition games it's hit or miss if they will live stream. I know the Soo is usually good at live streaming hoping to see it on the OHL Live package I purchased.
Thanks Cubby. Cheers. What do you think so far? I have the Eastlink package.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
This may be the fastest forward group the Wolves have had in a long time.The skill level is also pretty impressive.The defense needs work but played better last night. Lemaire could be capable as a backup.Is there any updates on injuries to DeGrazia and Ross?Who is on the bubble to make the team?

Reactions: dirty12

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Thanks Cubby. Cheers. What do you think so far? I have the Eastlink package.

Well so far not too good with the package I don't think they show much of the exhibition games. I bought the OHL package so I get to see every game in the OHL, it didn't have single game option as of yet. I did see a London game on a few weeks ago, but none of the OHL games yesterday I was able to view. I'm not getting my hopes up, I assume come regular season I will be able to view all the games I want in the OHL.

Reactions: Wisdom

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Some take aways from last nights game;

The young players continue to shine. Obviously it's easy to get excited about the amount of young talent on this team. But we do know that the league is tough and as the season moves on young players fizzle off to a certain extent. Last night Owen Sound was easily out played in the first half of the game. Game plan changed suddenly and Owen Sound began to take away time and space from the speedy Wolves and much smaller team. We held our own but in the process we may have lost a couple of players to injury and or suspension. The young players and in fact the entire team must be able to learn to pick their spots better. That comes with maturity and coaching and some vet leadership. Musty will be a target as well as Goyette and in case of Musty he must learn to retaliate the best way he can and that's on the scoresheet. The team will need him on the ice and out of the box. I hope his head checking major does not lead to a suspension. As well he does need to dish the puck a little quicker to avoid turnover or guys running him.

The defence continued to grow and had a much better game than last week. Robinson and Anania played much better. Hoover can really lay the body and I hope he can be taught more things cause I really believe he can be our future shutdown man. He does leave the defensive zone for that big hit a bit too often and might get burned from time to time so he needs to be careful but overall he is a real big asset moving forward. Collins is a stud and also love his upside.

Our older forwards has me really thinking what more can they bring to the table that some of these younger players already do. With the exception of DeGrazia who will be one of the most improved and exciting players for us in my opinion. Too bad he left after crashing into the end boards. Just shows how hard he is willing to work to get to the net. He really appears to be motivated at not being selected and that will bode well for Sudbury. Pray he isn't out too long.

Biondi, Smith, Crowder, Manikis, McCallum and Larmond. Who will get the ice time over Musty, Goyette, Delic and Konyen? With Stillman still to return and the possibility of the finish import coming that will really impact someone's ice time.

I really thought Larmond elevated his game last night. I just don't see Manikis and McCallum both on the roster long term. One will need to go. There just isn't enough room for two players that have not really done a lot in the OHL. McCallum seemed the same to me last night although someone else thought otherwise as he was chosen as a star! But he is not blessed with soft hands, he is not very big, not good on the PP. I know the Wolves are high on him but if one player who did not benefit from a shut down season last year it was him. He saw limited time in his rookie campaign with Byfield and company swallowing a lot of the ice time. Stillman saw more ice and really did improve as a result. So it will be interesting what the brass does in this case.

Biondi works his tail off but where is he going to be slotted in the line up? The same can be said for Smith and Larmond. I just really believe the 2020 draftees are better at this point and way more effective. Plus they will command ice time being draft years for those guys. Derbidge is a solid player and needs to play and will provide us with some physicality (Carson type) and we need size and muscle to go along with all the talent and to keep opponents honest. Crowder in this case may stick around as in and out of the line up type guy. Remember we play North Bay and the Soo 10 times and I think Barrie as well. Games will get chippy and those other Northern Teams are also strong and have some vets returning.

Lemaire made some solid saves last night and really benefited from the play being out of his zone for a good portion early on. I think one goal he was too deep in his net and gave the shooter lots of holes to drain the puck. But for a guy who had not played in a while due to injury he did ok. Sudbury will really need Weeks to stand out this year. The goaltending pool isn't deep around the league so having older tandem to start might help. But I still would like to see Rossi get a couple of games this year.

As for the lines with everyone back and healthy and with our import being sent to junior would look something like this IMO,

Musty Stillman Tuomalla
DeGrazia Goyette McCallum
Biondi Larmond Manikis
Derbidge Delic Konyen
Crowder Smith Assadourian
Simpson

Ross Thompson
Anania Robinson
Ribeau/Hoover Collins

Weeks
Lemaire

WJ

Reactions: BehindSooNet

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Assadourian continues to impress with 2 goals tonight as Wolves lead 4-1 halfway thru the 3rd period

As I previously said the young players on this team will make it extremely hard on keeping older guys who don’t bring as much as this rookies.

Assordorian speed is something else. Nice to see McCallum get a couple apples tonight. Larmond also getting on the scoresheet. Crowder making it hard on management.

Manikis as an OA needs to produce.

WJ

Reactions: cub

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Did anyone watch last night's games? Our two rookie goalies split the net, just wondering on any insights?

Jack Timins

Sep 20, 2021
Some take aways from last nights game;

The young players continue to shine. Obviously it's easy to get excited about the amount of young talent on this team. But we do know that the league is tough and as the season moves on young players fizzle off to a certain extent. Last night Owen Sound was easily out played in the first half of the game. Game plan changed suddenly and Owen Sound began to take away time and space from the speedy Wolves and much smaller team. We held our own but in the process we may have lost a couple of players to injury and or suspension. The young players and in fact the entire team must be able to learn to pick their spots better. That comes with maturity and coaching and some vet leadership. Musty will be a target as well as Goyette and in case of Musty he must learn to retaliate the best way he can and that's on the scoresheet. The team will need him on the ice and out of the box. I hope his head checking major does not lead to a suspension. As well he does need to dish the puck a little quicker to avoid turnover or guys running him.

The defence continued to grow and had a much better game than last week. Robinson and Anania played much better. Hoover can really lay the body and I hope he can be taught more things cause I really believe he can be our future shutdown man. He does leave the defensive zone for that big hit a bit too often and might get burned from time to time so he needs to be careful but overall he is a real big asset moving forward. Collins is a stud and also love his upside.

Our older forwards has me really thinking what more can they bring to the table that some of these younger players already do. With the exception of DeGrazia who will be one of the most improved and exciting players for us in my opinion. Too bad he left after crashing into the end boards. Just shows how hard he is willing to work to get to the net. He really appears to be motivated at not being selected and that will bode well for Sudbury. Pray he isn't out too long.

Biondi, Smith, Crowder, Manikis, McCallum and Larmond. Who will get the ice time over Musty, Goyette, Delic and Konyen? With Stillman still to return and the possibility of the finish import coming that will really impact someone's ice time.

I really thought Larmond elevated his game last night. I just don't see Manikis and McCallum both on the roster long term. One will need to go. There just isn't enough room for two players that have not really done a lot in the OHL. McCallum seemed the same to me last night although someone else thought otherwise as he was chosen as a star! But he is not blessed with soft hands, he is not very big, not good on the PP. I know the Wolves are high on him but if one player who did not benefit from a shut down season last year it was him. He saw limited time in his rookie campaign with Byfield and company swallowing a lot of the ice time. Stillman saw more ice and really did improve as a result. So it will be interesting what the brass does in this case.

Biondi works his tail off but where is he going to be slotted in the line up? The same can be said for Smith and Larmond. I just really believe the 2020 draftees are better at this point and way more effective. Plus they will command ice time being draft years for those guys. Derbidge is a solid player and needs to play and will provide us with some physicality (Carson type) and we need size and muscle to go along with all the talent and to keep opponents honest. Crowder in this case may stick around as in and out of the line up type guy. Remember we play North Bay and the Soo 10 times and I think Barrie as well. Games will get chippy and those other Northern Teams are also strong and have some vets returning.

Lemaire made some solid saves last night and really benefited from the play being out of his zone for a good portion early on. I think one goal he was too deep in his net and gave the shooter lots of holes to drain the puck. But for a guy who had not played in a while due to injury he did ok. Sudbury will really need Weeks to stand out this year. The goaltending pool isn't deep around the league so having older tandem to start might help. But I still would like to see Rossi get a couple of games this year.

As for the lines with everyone back and healthy and with our import being sent to junior would look something like this IMO,

Musty Stillman Tuomalla
DeGrazia Goyette McCallum
Biondi Larmond Manikis
Derbidge Delic Konyen
Crowder Smith Assadourian
Simpson

Ross Thompson
Anania Robinson
Ribeau/Hoover Collins

Weeks
Lemaire

WJ

Jack Timins

Sep 20, 2021
Well put, however I am confused at the 5 lines not sure how many they are aloud to carry for regular season.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I think they have to get down to 25 players max on Dec 1, and 23 players max on Jan 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad