Sudbury Wolves 2017 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I've also heard from someone that has ties to the organization that the team has approached Mike Foligno. I assumed it was to return as coach/gm, not buy the team but who knows maybe the Foligno's get a piece of Dario's pie.

That is not a well kept secret. Ideally, Dario could sell and still have a hand in it; while, his wife could not. So, the Foligno family does make sense. I am not aware of anything being imminent; just that, a buyer is being sought.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
That is not a well kept secret. Ideally, Dario could sell and still have a hand in it; while, his wife could not. So, the Foligno family does make sense. I am not aware of anything being imminent; just that, a buyer is being sought.

Am I missing something? Dario just bought the team and is looking to sell it? Can anyone elaborate?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Am I missing something? Dario just bought the team and is looking to sell it? Can anyone elaborate?

Your not missing anything. Dario is missing money. He more than likely spent way too much for the team to Burgess. He more than likely underestimated the costs and the nunbers didnt add up this year. He more than likely borrowed money from others. He more than likely has someone who wants their share back. Hence the Foligno equation. The only thing that I don't get yet! Is the amount of employed managment. If a Foligno has a foot in it does he or will he have the influence in cleaning house. Coaching staff all need to go!!! If he has a say in the day to day part of the organization does he settle for a combination of presidents in Smith and Papineau? I'm sorry Foligno will not settle for people with very limited experience. So many questions surrond this franchise and unfortunately this filtered down to the players this year from what I hear without getting into specifics.

At the end of the day the product on the ice needs to be better for fans to return. The coaching staff needs to be better. We need a GM who is present and gets a pulse on his players and team coaches. The drafts and trades need to be well thought out. They have have not done anything different from previous ownership IMO. The same people and a few added staff are conducting business in the same way. Dario is really the only difference. He is visual and welcoming to the patrons but I get the same vibe the rest of the way. Things didn't change enough IMO.

WJ

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Does anyone have any information about who the wolves might be targeting in the draft this year?

As much as Sudbury really needs a defenceman I believe it will be a forward. Sitting in the 7th spot there are some very good forwards but if any one of Suszki, Coe or Bertuzzi is available by the 7th pick they will will score an excellent pick. But those players are expected to be gone by then. So the next crop of forwards are nothing to sneeze at and will still get a good player.

WJ

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
As much as Sudbury really needs a defenceman I believe it will be a forward. Sitting in the 7th spot there are some very good forwards but if any one of Suszki, Coe or Bertuzzi is available by the 7th pick they will will score an excellent pick. But those players are expected to be gone by then. So the next crop of forwards are nothing to sneeze at and will still get a good player.

WJ

Apparently Rees, who North Bay are supposed to take, isn't even a top 15 player. They can't get anyone to report, so are we going to face the same problem?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Apparently Rees, who North Bay are supposed to take, isn't even a top 15 player. They can't get anyone to report, so are we going to face the same problem?

Rees is a top 10 player only if any of the top ranked US players don't get drafted because of college commitments. But Coe is a player North Bay is high on. If Hughes is drafted number 1 by Barrie than Suszki may go number 2 to Guelph. If that's the case Sudbury stands a chance at getting Bertuzzi. Sudbury needs to take a bigger skilled forward with good skating. And there a few guys out there that have the size, skating and scoring ability but maybe not ranked as high. So Sudbury could take a player that is ranked on many boards in the lower half of the first.

WJ

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Nothing ever easy or quiet in the lands of the wolves. Should be an interesting off season. The good thing re: ownership is that their are locals who seem to always come forward with interest in buying the team. That's good news.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
End of season team award winners announced as per Sudbury.com

https://www.sudbury.com/sports/wolves-hand-out-year-end-hardware-after-memorable-season-580461

Top Scorer: Dmitry Sokolov
•MVP: Dmitry Sokolov
•Playoff MVP: Dmitry Sokolov
•Molson Cup 3-Star Award: Dmitry Sokolov
•Leadership Award: Kyle Capobianco
•Top Rookie: Owen Lalonde/Jake McGrath
•Scholastic Award: Shane Bulitka
•Community Service: Michael Pezzetta/Chandler Yakimowicz/Reagan O'Grady
•Players' Player: Patrick Sanvido
•Most Improved: Macauley Carson
•Top Plus/Minus: Reagan O'Grady
•Best Defensive Player: Patrick Sanvido
•Community Club Player of the Year: Macauley Carson/Jake McGrath
•Most Goals: Dmitry Sokolov
•Most Assists: Kyle Capobianco

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014

And this is why there is a BIG problem with The OHL now. When the strong players arn't willing to play in every market but only a select few then we get the problems we see. Its brutal that the agents basically threaten NCAA, US development, not showing up to some teams but wink wink if London, Windsor, Kitchener draft me I'll be there.

Its frustrating. Even from a Generals perspective, where it seems its a constant back and forth fight to get players to come. The generals drafted Eli Tolvanen in the Euro draft and he is playing in Sioux City in US junior league. He will go top ten in NHL draft this year and has said he is going to Boston College to play what 35 games a year compared to 68 games in the OHL.

Until Branch addresses this issue you will continue to see the Mete's and Domi's not showing up but will play in London. I know Owen sound and Kingston received draft picks for these two but its not the same. the league is supposed to be a developmental league.

I know that Oshawa does attract some players more than what sudbury, North Bay would but its still not right. If you want to play OHL you should go where you are selected so bottom feeding teams are not there that long and have a chance to build for championships.

Sorry to get on your thread but it burns me to see players at 15 or 16 not wanting to play in some markets.

Last edited:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

Some of these awards are hilarious

- Are you kidding me? He's probably the worst leader we've had as a captain in 10+ years.

- This is McGrath's and McGrath's alone, its not even close. Not to mention Bulitka was a much better rookie then Lalonde as well.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
And this is why there is a BIG problem with The OHL now. When the strong players arn't willing to play in every market but only a select few then we get the problems we see. Its brutal that the agents basically threaten NCAA, US development, not showing up to some teams but wink wink if London, Windsor, Kitchener draft me I'll be there.

Its frustrating. Even from a Generals perspective, where it seems its a constant back and forth fight to get players to come. The generals drafted Eli Tolvanen in the Euro draft and he is playing in Sioux City in US junior league. He will go top ten in NHL draft this year and has said he is going to Boston College to play what 35 games a year compared to 68 games in the OHL.

Until Branch addresses this issue you will continue to see the Mete's and Domi's not showing up but will play in London. I know Owen sound and Kingston received draft picks for these two but its not the same. the league is supposed to be a dvelopmental league.

I know that Oshawa does attract some players more than what sudbury, North Bay would but its still not right. If you want to play OHL you should go where you are selected so bottom feeding teams are not there that long and have a chance to build for championships.

Sorry to get on your thread but it burns me to see players at 15 or 16 not wanting to play in some markets.

Amen, I agree with all of this.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Some of these awards are hilarious

- Are you kidding me? He's probably the worst leader we've had as a captain in 10+ years.

- This is McGrath's and McGrath's alone, its not even close. Not to mention Bulitka was a much better rookie then Lalonde as well.

Agreed on Capo. What's worse is there's a strong chance Pezzetta is captain next year, which is horrifying.

I wouldn't be so harsh on Lalonde as he improved so much and his second half was WAY better than his first half, but you're right, over the whole 68 game season he was definitely below McGrath and maybe Bulitka/Lane

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Agreed on Capo. What's worse is there's a strong chance Pezzetta is captain next year, which is horrifying.

I wouldn't be so harsh on Lalonde as he improved so much and his second half was WAY better than his first half, but you're right, over the whole 68 game season he was definitely below McGrath and maybe Bulitka/Lane

I really think people overate Lalonde because he was a 2nd overall pick. He went from looking like a bad major midget call up to a bad ohler this year.

If anyone but Carson is named Captain for next season, I think thats a pretty big mistake.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I really think people overate Lalonde because he was a 2nd overall pick. He went from looking like a bad major midget call up to a bad ohler this year.

If anyone but Carson is named Captain for next season, I think thats a pretty big mistake.

What a ridiculous assessment of a 16yr old who was awarded play of the year in his league prior to the draft. He was the best defenceman available in the draft at number two. Why would anyone come on this board and embarrass themselves with such a statement. I hope to God you do not consider yourself a fan of the sport. What ever you are smoking I would highly recommend you butt it out asap.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017

I disagree re Lalonde. In fact, people very VERY harsh on Lalonde before Christmas, maybe even more than was warranted. I think it's only fair to him to point out how much he's improved, and that he should become a capable top pairing guy in the coming years. He went from looking like a guy who should barely be a healthy scratch to looking like a #5 guy who should push for the top 4. Unfortunately we had to use him in a top 4 role anyway.

I also want Carson to be the captain.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Reading Sudbury Star article about the upcoming draft, interviewing BB, it seems like anything might happen, sounds like may draft Hughes, if he's there anyways, make a trade for more picks. Its sounds they might be mover and shakers at draft expect the unexpected..

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Reading Sudbury Star article about the upcoming draft, interviewing BB, it seems like anything might happen, sounds like may draft Hughes, if he's there anyways, make a trade for more picks. Its sounds they might be mover and shakers at draft expect the unexpected..

Out of couriousity, how would everyone feel if the wolves do draft Jack Hughes? Personally I like the idea, but I'm interested if other feel the same way, and if you do why?

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Out of couriousity, how would everyone feel if the wolves do draft Jack Hughes? Personally I like the idea, but I'm interested if other feel the same way, and if you do why?

If they feel as if Hughes can net us a king's ransom, then Im all for it. Plus theres the like 1% chance he'd report, i can get my hopes up for that.

:yo:

cub

Apr 11, 2012

I think it's highly risky unless he divulge he wants to come to OHL play for London, Kitchener, etc like Domi etc. He has option to play for USA program. If doesn't come to OHL your stuck with 1 pick in top 50. Have to get 100 per cent confirmation he's coming to OHL than it might be good move.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Picking Hughes would be risky; though, there might be a chance to talk him out of the USNDT seeing that he only recently made that route his intention.
Since there isn't D that is a lock for top 15 and the wolves can return 13 F, this would be the perfect year to select Hughes or Turcotte. The worst case scenario is the 8th pick in next year's draft

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I'm just hoping the wolves figure something out so their not sitting with their hands crossed the entire second round.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Hughes will fast track to the NHL, so if he would report next season how long would you actually have him. Play it save, Morgan, Murray , Bertuzzi, Clarke. We will surely get one. To obtain a second you would want it 1 thru 10 and that would cost us our 3rd and 2 fourths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad