Substitutions/ general help

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
When covid hit, I had just been laid off permanently as the plant I was working at was closing. Covid hit and no where was hiring, no babysitters and no school, so I was home with my kids.

The first few weeks I knew I couldn't last. They had too much energy and I had become way too lazy as my factory job wasn't demanding at all and I had plenty of time to go and eat fast food. I decided to work out and had the time to focus solely on that. I lost about 40 lbs, then when I started my new job, which was physically demanding, I lost another 20. However, my new job got quite busy and was quite physically demanding, so I stopped working out. Winter time hit and I had some more down time, but wasn't motivated to use my weights/ exercise equipment and eventually fell back on to hard habits and gained the majority of the weight back.

My biggest weakness is pop. I drink way too much of it. I've seen drinks like freshca that tastes alright I've been thinking about substituting in.

I don't like fish at all and did use pills to get the goodness from fish into my system.

I can't eat just eggs with the yolk, so I did get carton egg whites.

I eat chicken and salads, but eating that over and over again I get fairly bored of it quickly and won't eat it and then just end up buying junk food somewhere.

Drinking water isn't an issue especially with work and then playing hockey and of course this heat currently.

In short, what food suggestions do you have and drink alternatives ? I try to cut it back to 2 355ml cans of pop a day, but a lot of the time I fail at that. I can have egg, it just needs to be in something, can't just eat the whole egg as the sulphur in almost always causes my acid reflux and I get sick. I mean, it's a good way to throw up and lose some weight that way, but that's not the healthiest.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
When covid hit, I had just been laid off permanently as the plant I was working at was closing. Covid hit and no where was hiring, no babysitters and no school, so I was home with my kids.

The first few weeks I knew I couldn't last. They had too much energy and I had become way too lazy as my factory job wasn't demanding at all and I had plenty of time to go and eat fast food. I decided to work out and had the time to focus solely on that. I lost about 40 lbs, then when I started my new job, which was physically demanding, I lost another 20. However, my new job got quite busy and was quite physically demanding, so I stopped working out. Winter time hit and I had some more down time, but wasn't motivated to use my weights/ exercise equipment and eventually fell back on to hard habits and gained the majority of the weight back.

My biggest weakness is pop. I drink way too much of it. I've seen drinks like freshca that tastes alright I've been thinking about substituting in.

I don't like fish at all and did use pills to get the goodness from fish into my system.

I eat chicken and salads, but eating that over and over again I get fairly bored of it quickly and won't eat it and then just end up buying junk food somewhere.

Drinking water isn't an issue especially with work and then playing hockey and of course this heat currently.

In short, what food suggestions do you have and drink alternatives ? I try to cut it back to 2 355ml cans of pop a day, but a lot of the time I fail at that. I can have egg, it just needs to be in something, can't just eat the whole egg as the sulphur in almost always causes my acid reflux and I get sick. I mean, it's a good way to throw up and lose some weight that way, but that's not the healthiest.

The trick is when preparing a meal is to get most of your calories from protein sources. Proteins are so satiating and will make you less hungry through the day. Here's an example.

I like italian food and substituting regular noodles with konjac noodles and using lean meats with it has been a way i've avoided going the fast food route.

This is the basic recipe i follow for one of my "go-to" lunches i bring at work.

1 pack of NuPasta (the whole pack is 20 calories)
10-12 turkey or lean beef meatballs ( this is about 500 calories)
1 half can of Hunts thick and rich pasta sauce (120 calories)
A bit Parmesan cheese on top (50 calories)

This plus a protein bar (200 calories) and a bit of fruit (banana, strawberries ect) and i'm barely getting to 1200 calories here.

Cost is about 15$ for the lunch and don't worry about the taste of the NuPasta. It will absorb and taste like the sauce when you pop it in the microwave at lunch time.

Compare that to a fast food joint.
Wendys double cheeseburger (810 calories)
Wendy's Medium fries (350 calories)

My lunch has more food that's healthier for me and will make me feel more full so when i get to the next meal i'm not starving and overeating.

I also do a steak salad in the summer where i'll just grill and extra steak and put it in the fridge. The next morning and cut it up into cubes and add it to a cesar salad kit.

Hope this helps.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
If you're looking to cut calories and your biggest weakness is pop, just switching to the diet version will make a big difference already.

A non diet can of pop usually has anywhere between 30 and 50 g of sugar. It's also not the good kind of sugar, but high fructose corn syrup. Let's say you drink 2 cans of pop a day, switching to diet cuts back 60 to 100 g of sugar a day, which is a lot. 200-300 empty calories less.

I like to drink carbonated water and have a soda stream machine at home, and you can get all kind of flavours that either are very low in sugar or sugar free, so you could check that out.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The trick is when preparing a meal is to get most of your calories from protein sources. Proteins are so satiating and will make you less hungry through the day. Here's an example.

I like italian food and substituting regular noodles with konjac noodles and using lean meats with it has been a way i've avoided going the fast food route.

This is the basic recipe i follow for one of my "go-to" lunches i bring at work.

1 pack of NuPasta (the whole pack is 20 calories)
10-12 turkey or lean beef meatballs ( this is about 500 calories)
1 half can of Hunts thick and rich pasta sauce (120 calories)
A bit Parmesan cheese on top (50 calories)

This plus a protein bar (200 calories) and a bit of fruit (banana, strawberries ect) and i'm barely getting to 1200 calories here.

Cost is about 15$ for the lunch and don't worry about the taste of the NuPasta. It will absorb and taste like the sauce when you pop it in the microwave at lunch time.

Compare that to a fast food joint.
Wendys double cheeseburger (810 calories)
Wendy's Medium fries (350 calories)

My lunch has more food that's healthier for me and will make me feel more full so when i get to the next meal i'm not starving and overeating.

I also do a steak salad in the summer where i'll just grill and extra steak and put it in the fridge. The next morning and cut it up into cubes and add it to a cesar salad kit.

Hope this helps.
Where do you get the NuPasta, like a Costco ?
If you're looking to cut calories and your biggest weakness is pop, just switching to the diet version will make a big difference already.

A non diet can of pop usually has anywhere between 30 and 50 g of sugar. It's also not the good kind of sugar, but high fructose corn syrup. Let's say you drink 2 cans of pop a day, switching to diet cuts back 60 to 100 g of sugar a day, which is a lot. 200-300 empty calories less.

I like to drink carbonated water and have a soda stream machine at home, and you can get all kind of flavours that either are very low in sugar or sugar free, so you could check that out.
I had a soda stream a while ago, but I found the taste was a bit off, but I'll give diet 7up, or sprite a try.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

I get it at the grocery store.

There's a different brand that Walmart sells but its the exact same thing. It looks like this...

1660257165047.png

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

Just a recommendation to spice up your salads. I've been adding yellow beets, strawberries, pistachios to mine. Feta cheese for saltiness.

hotcabbagesoup

Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

Also I used to drink soda alot. I have found kombucha to be a great alternative, half the amount of sugar than soda (usually around 15g per 12oz or so) and it has that carbonated burn of soda. Apparently my mom knows how to brew a mean kombucha but I've just bought the walmart $2.50 bottle (it's usually in the tofu/vega/vegetarian specialty items refrigerated section).

Let us know if you try it. Good luck DogCerby, you're one of my favorite posters.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site

I had a soda stream a while ago, but I found the taste was a bit off, but I'll give diet 7up, or sprite a try.
The best tasting Diet Pop is DIet Dr Pepper, that is a good starter for bridging to diet. It is still awful for you and does bad things to your metabolism, but I am a pop junkie and that is the one vice I refuse to give up

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Also I used to drink soda alot. I have found kombucha to be a great alternative, half the amount of sugar than soda (usually around 15g per 12oz or so) and it has that carbonated burn of soda. Apparently my mom knows how to brew a mean kombucha but I've just bought the walmart $2.50 bottle (it's usually in the tofu/vega/vegetarian specialty items refrigerated section).

Let us know if you try it. Good luck DogCerby, you're one of my favorite posters.

The best tasting Diet Pop is DIet Dr Pepper, that is a good starter for bridging to diet. It is still awful for you and does bad things to your metabolism, but I am a pop junkie and that is the one vice I refuse to give up

Going to try and get a mixture of both and see what works.

I know I can give up pop, for months, but it's almost like alcohol and once you start back, it's hard to not grab one instead of a water, or something else.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Going to try and get a mixture of both and see what works.

I know I can give up pop, for months, but it's almost like alcohol and once you start back, it's hard to not grab one instead of a water, or something else.
I agree. I love pop and if I give it up I know I will go back to it eventually so I dont even try.

Your young I am guessing. The only diet pop when I was growing up was Tab and it was godawful and undrinkable, it gradually got better now once you start it, your taste buds adapt and regular pop seems too sweet,

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

No it won't.

He needs to give up pop altogether.

If he is actually serious about losing weight than that's what he needs to do.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve been on Noom since January of last year and while it has taken time, I’m about to pass 90 pounds lost. Now, I’ve done a shit ton of exercise that someone with a family probably cannot do. And lot of it is still what you eat, but there are also habitual elements.

Here have been a few of my main tips:

You can drink soda (pop) all day every day if you can figure out how to make it work with your body. But you’re probably not. All those sugars and additives are going to screw with your head in trying to figure out whether or not it’s hungry. I had not been a big soda drinker for a long time anyways, I usually save it for if I’m out drinking. You can cut back on it but dropping it cold takes a lot of will power but your body and mind are expecting it, just like most other foods or drinks you consume regularly. By the same token, you don’t have to start beating things you hate. I do eat a lot of fish, but I hardly ever ate or liked vegetables. Ultimately when you eat, you still need to be satisfied, so consuming a bunch of shit you hate doesn’t help as much as people want. Maybe try some things you may be curious about, but my vegetable consumption is like 95% lettuce.

One trick I’ve learned is that it takes 20 minutes for your body to tell your mind that you are full. So, don’t eat until you feel full. You’re already full. That’s why you’re going to feel bloated and tired because in reality you are too much, and the food doesn’t even taste as good because your brain will send signals that it doesn’t want it.

Keep all your food in the kitchen, as much as you can. And pay attention to your meal, don’t sit in front of your TV. You may end up overeating because you ate it too fast without paying attention, and then you still want to eat when you’re not hungry. The only thing that leaves my kitchen is vitamin water.

This noodle talk, I’ve never heard of konjac noodles, I may have to seek that out. The noodles I eat are egg white ‘noodle-style’ pasta, but no-yolks will do, too.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Your weight fluctuations isn’t the only thing going on I’d bet. If it’s changing by 60lbs which is a substantial decrease/increase it sounds like you’re pre-diabetes and you should really look into that and completely cut out soda entirely.

You “try to cut to 2 cans a day”. Get in front of this before you end up with type 2 diabetes.

Let me add this, anyone telling you to switch to diet pop isn’t someone to take advice from. Diet pop is terrible for your body. That weight gain is your bodies attempt to tell you something. Listen to it.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Yes.

But you responded to a post talking about losing weight.

It will help with that.

Pump the breaks on this one.

Can't speak for North America as I live in Australia but my favourite soft drink is Zero Sugar Coke, which is different than Diet Coke.

There are plenty of soft drinks (pop) that have started offering sugar free alternatives using natural sweeteners (stevia). I don't look for them, but you're talking about 'diet' versions of soft drinks that use the old-school, artificial sweeteners which are unhealthy. I figured they'd have been phased out by now but apparently Diet Coke still exists.

Important to differentiate because naturally sweetened, stevia-based soft drinks are not bad to your body the way artificial ones are.

As someone that doesn't have a lot of sweetness in my diet, Coke Zero is a great treat that offers everything original Coke had but without the calories.

EDIT: This reply was meant to be for @The Crypto Guy

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
First thing's first, stop eating animal products

If you want your body to thrive, turn your stomach into a garden filled with plants, not a graveyard filled with the body parts of dead animals

I recommend following Simnett Nutrtition's What I Eat In A Day series:

And lastly, it's been years since I had pop, but when summer rolls around and I'm craving something cold and fizzy, this is my go-to:

21094147_side_a01_@2.png
+
00067311018339.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BahlDeep

hotcabbagesoup

Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
First thing's first, stop eating animal products

If you want your body to thrive, turn your stomach into a garden filled with plants, not a graveyard filled with the the body parts of dead animals

I recommend following Simnett Nutrtition's What I Eat In A Day series:

And lastly, it's been years since I had pop, but when summer rolls around and I'm craving something cold and fizzy, this is my go-to:

View attachment 580477 + View attachment 580478

What about whey protein? Would you use whey? BTW I'm not joking, I'm wanting your honest opinion.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
You can attempt to curb pop cravings by trying out various fruits as substitution, i.e watermelon.

Eat some organic nuts/nut butters.

Buy ground beef from the store. You get more per pound that way. Bison is more expensive but more healthy.

Get some "better" cheeses at the store, like grass fed cheddar.

You can prepare something like Beans+Beef+Cheese at home.

Don't listen to vegans. Long-term, it's a great way to do self-harm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad