News Article: Subban says penalty call is personal

Pricef*

NHL refs are a joke, they are the worst of any professional sports. Last night Pacioretty got hooked so badly skating through the neutral zone, the stick stay under his arm for a good 50 feet. The refs HAD put the whistles away. Ok fine, but to make that marginal call with 18 seconds left was not right. Must be nice to be an NHL ref, no accountability. You blow calls, you flat out are brutal and that is ok. Watching Tom Brady (whom I despise) yelling at the refs at the end of a game recently was refreshing, they needed to hear it.
Like I said, NHL officiating is a joke.

Exactly. They are paid handsomely for a joke performance.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I am beginning to believe that the NHL and NFL are calling games as if their life depended on it........as in making sure that the bets are covered.

Or maybe you just don't appreciate how hard it is to call a perfect game.

It's just degenerate gamblers who come up with theories like this to justify their losses.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
First off, he's 100% right. He has to endure a lot of phantom calls. I personally think it's got something to do with his personality. I HOPE it's just his personality that's irritating the refs. If it's something else, then it's an issue.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Or maybe you just don't appreciate how hard it is to call a perfect game.

It's just degenerate gamblers who come up with theories like this to justify their losses.

Swing and a miss if you are accusing me of gambling.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
First off, he's 100% right. He has to endure a lot of phantom calls. I personally think it's got something to do with his personality. I HOPE it's just his personality that's irritating the refs. If it's something else, then it's an issue.

This.

Also Francois St.Laurent same ref as the Florida game. Must be a Nordiques fan.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta

It's personality. Here's a tweet from Prust. While clearly he's joking, it is also clear that you either like PK or loathe him.

Brandon Prust

“@MensHumor: Do you ever have the urge to tell someone to shut up even when they're not talking?†.. Yup @PKSubban1

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Subban shouldn't have had to say this. Therrien should've addressed this in the media months ago, he didn't, and shows no sign of caring because it isn't Bouillon or DD being singled out by the refs. Subban finally said something because he was frustrated and knew the play wasn't going to come from his incompetent country club coach.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Whether its personal, bad call, or whatever you want to call it, nothing will be gained by making it public. The refs hate being called out like that publically, and now he will have to deal with a whole faction of refs that will no longer give him anything but the short end of the stick.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Thanks, Toronto Sun. Now to listen to three days worth of comments and discussion about the topic. It was a frustration-driven comment during the post-game, but now it's going to be picked apart, dissected, analyzed, and criticised to the point where discussion panels are going to push for him to be omitted for the Olympic squad.

****ing Toronto.

Dec 2, 2010
He cleared the crease. Solid play. You can tell he wants to ****ing call the refs a million things, but kept his **** together underneath the false smile.

Dec 2, 2010
It's personality. Here's a tweet from Prust. While clearly he's joking, it is also clear that you either like PK or loathe him.

Brandon Prust

“@MensHumor: Do you ever have the urge to tell someone to shut up even when they're not talking?†.. Yup @PKSubban1
You can't be serious? It's obviously jabbing. If true, you think Prust is dumb enough to voice his "hatred" on Twitter in a passive aggressive fashion? Cmon get a grip. Chirps aren't just for opponents ya know.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Those comments really won't help his case. I know he tried to be as diplomatic and polite as possible, but I fear he just put another target on his back. I'm a huge fan of PK, seeing as he's been my favourite player in the world since his first playoff series, but that was a poor judgement call on his part.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
I'm a fan so I can say it, that ref is a *** idiot.

I don't blame Subban for saying anything. Its time we set up referees for referees. None of this boys club bull**. After every game, there should be an independent commission to count the amount of blown or missed calls. The ref that *** the bed the most gets benched for a few games. The less games you ref, the less you get paid.

The only people who are against this would be the refs themselves. They asked for a high pressure high paying job, that's what they get.

What was the ref's name who made that call? He deserves to be singled out.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Subban needs to shut up and people here need to wake up. It was a hook and the right call.

Subban put his stick into the players midsection and rode him for about 15 feet.

As if that wasn't enough he rode him into the boards and threw him to the ice.

Hope Therrien has a word with him it was a bad play and a bad reaction.

Pricef*

Subban needs to shut up and people here need to wake up. It was a hook and the right call.

Subban put his stick into the players midsection and rode him for about 15 feet.

It is only the right call if it is made at all times during the game. Why are these not called on some plays and called on others? Consistently would go a long way towards establishing credibility for the officials.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It is only the right call if it is made at all times during the game. Why are these not called on some plays and called on others? Consistently would go a long way towards establishing credibility for the officials.

Penalty or not, Subban's play was the right play at the right time to make sure the comeback wasn't in vain. Especially after Gorges' brain fart that lead to a scoring opportunity with seconds left in the game.

There are good penalties and bad penalties. Debating whether the call was good or bad is another issue. Kudos to PK on the play, even if it lead to a PK ;)

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Consistency is a whole other issue . If you want to imply an official has a personal beef you had better be the clear victim of a phantom call . Better yet keep it to yourself. I am a big PK fan but he's wrong here.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

It is a penalty. I'm fine with it being called. Well, I'm fine if its called every time it happened. It happened dozens of times in the game, yet we had one call that completely screwed our already thin chances of winning.

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Whether its personal, bad call, or whatever you want to call it, nothing will be gained by making it public. The refs hate being called out like that publically, and now he will have to deal with a whole faction of refs that will no longer give him anything but the short end of the stick.

I have been reading your posts for years Hackett and am almost always in agreement with your observations. I'm not sure I agree with your comment here. Yes, what you are saying is a possibility for sure. IMO however, Subban's "play" here was brilliant. He's forced the refs to "up their game" and put an onus on them to exhibit clear "impartiality" on their calls on Subban in the future because now EVERY CALL against Subban will be scrutized for it's validity. So, while it is indeed a "two edged sword", I think that it clearly puts the refs on notice on their calls against Subban in the future. IMHO, smart play by Subban.

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
The Lakers actually sent the league a video of Kobe Bryant getting abused and it really changed after. It should've been done a long time ago with PK.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

Brandon Prust

“@MensHumor: Do you ever have the urge to tell someone to shut up even when they're not talking?” .. Yup @PKSubban1

You've clearly never been on a team before. Just stick with their twitters and you'll see that PK and Prust are not only on good terms, but they are really close. They spend a lot of time together in the off season.

Even old team mates like Cammy are still good friends with PK. He is flamboyant and talks a lot, but that's part of his charm

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
You've clearly never been on a team before. Just stick with their twitters and you'll see that PK and Prust are not only on good terms, but they are really close. They spend a lot of time together in the off season.

Even old team mates like Cammy are still good friends with PK. He is flamboyant and talks a lot, but that's part of his charm
Nah bro, Prust hates PK, it's clear as day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad