News Article: Subban says penalty call is personal

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/05/canadiens-subban-suggests-ref-has-vendetta-against-him

Around the 45 second mark.

It just didn’t really make sense to me. Other than that it seems like it’s personal to me. It has nothing to do with the game. Based on the standard of penalties, I don't see a penalty there at all.

Seems like not the only fans think that. He also says teammate came over to him and told him the call was a joke .

Have at it :rant:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Subban was upset at the time because of a joke call. Even if it is something personal, I doubt anything can be gained from saying it to the medias so he probably should have just said it was a stupid call and left it at that. Now, those who want to create drama will have a field day.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Put the 'C' on his jersey for the next game.

That was for all the posters here who think PK should be the next captain of the Habs.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
definitely regrets those comments today i'd say.. his life won't get easier with the refs

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
NHL refs are a joke, they are the worst of any professional sports. Last night Pacioretty got hooked so badly skating through the neutral zone, the stick stay under his arm for a good 50 feet. The refs HAD put the whistles away. Ok fine, but to make that marginal call with 18 seconds left was not right. Must be nice to be an NHL ref, no accountability. You blow calls, you flat out are brutal and that is ok. Watching Tom Brady (whom I despise) yelling at the refs at the end of a game recently was refreshing, they needed to hear it.
Like I said, NHL officiating is a joke.

Habsterix*

It's not personal PK, the refereeing in this league is just a joke, and it's even worse since they've implemented the two referee system by bringing up guys who are either not ready for this level or simply don't have the judgment and/or aptitude to do the work at this level. Thank Gary for that.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Or.....we have no idea if there's actually a personal history between him and the ref. Maybe there is.

But I would have to say that it's not personal. PERSONNALLY, I think that it's just referees sucking. I actually find what PK said about the refs pretty great for them. I mean, for him, it's either a great call or someting personal. Let's inform PK though that there is another possibility...referees can suck....OH YES they can.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
the whole 'refs are human' business and 'they're not going to like this'....well players are humans too and they've had enough of this Bush League BS.

Don't think it was a mistake at all.

The only problem was that he was so poised and smart and biting that it's actually worse than if he ranted and screamed like a dumb jock.

Come to think it, it might actually be smart PK's now publicly layed down the gambit and like another poster said, if the calls keep coming against him that proves him right and how is that going to look on the officials? Could be quite the scandal.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What the hell are you talking about?

He's saying that Subban isn't captain material because he has made a politically incorrect comment. The argument goes that a true captain should sound extremely generic and positive in the media.

Montreal fans have a history with this belief system. When Pacioretty said he'd rather play 1st line in Hamilton than 3rd line in Montreal, they erupted. When Eller talked smack about the Edmonton Oilers, they erupted again. A montreal Canadien should only ever say something like "Us boys have been working hard, we believe in the coach and we're going to give a hundred and ten percent by focusing on defense".

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Come to think it, it might actually be smart PK's now publicly layed down the gambit and like another poster said, if the calls keep coming against him that proves him right and how is that going to look on the officials? Could be quite the scandal.

I was thinking that myself. It's like when a coach complains about diving or something. It draws attention to it and all of a sudden it goes under a microscope. If it gets PK off the hook on an iffy call just once, it will have been worth it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Put the 'C' on his jersey for the next game.

That was for all the posters here who think PK should be the next captain of the Habs.

He's saying that Subban isn't captain material because he has made a politically incorrect comment. The argument goes that a true captain should sound extremely generic and positive in the media.

Montreal fans have a history with this belief system. When Pacioretty said he'd rather play 1st line in Hamilton than 3rd line in Montreal, they erupted. When Eller talked smack about the Edmonton Oilers, they erupted again. A montreal Canadien should only ever say something like "Us boys have been working hard, we believe in the coach and we're going to give a hundred and ten percent by focusing on defense".

I was going to say something but, as with all things.... DA explained it in a way no one can.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
NHL refs are a joke, they are the worst of any professional sports. Last night Pacioretty got hooked so badly skating through the neutral zone, the stick stay under his arm for a good 50 feet. The refs HAD put the whistles away. Ok fine, but to make that marginal call with 18 seconds left was not right. Must be nice to be an NHL ref, no accountability. You blow calls, you flat out are brutal and that is ok. Watching Tom Brady (whom I despise) yelling at the refs at the end of a game recently was refreshing, they needed to hear it.
Like I said, NHL officiating is a joke.

The NFL just joined the ranks of Joke after the Packers/49ers game.

They did not call any blatant pass interference calls on either team. They did hit Green Bay with a holding call as they were driving for a touchdown. After that call, they ignored the holding by both teams for the remainder of the game.

I am beginning to believe that the NHL and NFL are calling games as if their life depended on it........as in making sure that the bets are covered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad