Subban or Weber

Who is better right now? PK Subban or Shea Weber

• Total voters

Peter Puck

Sep 10, 2005
We had this poll before the season and Subban won easily. The thread included the posts:
"Subban easily" and
"Montreal fans just need to let it go at this point... "

Now Weber has played 25 of Montreal's 49 games and we can truely compare them. It really looks like Weber has shored up Montreal's defence.

Montreal without Weber (first 24 games) 11-8-5 and a GAA of 3.38.
Montreal with Weber (latest 25 games) 16-9-0 and a GAA of 2.48.

Subban's stats: 30 games 4 goals, 14 assists, +9. 18 pts for 0.60 pts/game
Weber's stats: 25 games, 7 goals, 9 assists, +12. 16 pts for 0.64 pts/game.

I don't see how anyone can claim Subban easily. Maybe Weber will decline as he is certainly older but I don't see it yet.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Two of my favourite players ever. Weber is probably a little better in a vacuum but it depends what your team looks like. They’re both in the top 5 or so in the league

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Subban easily, Montreal fans just need to let it go at this point.

I don't know. Subban has not been his best this year...and parts of last year. Yes, Subban is younger, but I think this year Weber has proven he's still got some left in the tank.

As a Pred fan, I'd describe Subban and his game as: Turnover, injury, good play, stupid penalty at the wrong time, good play. His first game as a Predator really summed up his tenure here I think.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't know. Subban has not been his best this year...and parts of last year. Yes, Subban is younger, but I think this year Weber has proven he's still got some left in the tank.

As a Pred fan, I'd describe Subban and his game as: Turnover, injury, good play, stupid penalty at the wrong time, good play. His first game as a Predator really summed up his tenure here I think.
If you think Subban is injury prone, what about Weber who missed a whole year?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Close but Weber is proving he still has it. I would guess that in the near future [a few season] Subban will take over.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
This is there 3rd season with their new teams, and Weber has been better 2/3 out of those years. And this was suppose to be Subban prime years, 27-30, he'll be 30 this summer per the fans lol

IMO there fairly even, just different styles.

But 1 thing that is a fact since the trade. Weber puts those numbers as the clear number 1 D-men on the Habs.

Subban in 3 seasons with the Preds, has never lead the team in TOI per game /ES TOI/G, SH/TOI/G. These are facts, so please check yourself before you telling me, no Subban is their number 1 dmen...

The Preds do use a 1A/1B pairing, so Subban does not go up vs other teams top lines ever night like other number 1 dmen, and in most cases its Josi-Ellis that get the tougher match up. Only thing its Subban pair its when its a heavy line, ex Ovie line..

Whenever the Preds play the Oilers, its Josi-Ellis vs McDavid, when they play Pitts, its Josi-Ellis vs Crosby..

I mean its 100% the smartest thing to do for the Preds team, play to your strengths, but the fact is it gives Subban easier matches up than other guys other the league.

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
King Subban isn't playing as good as he was the previous years otherwise it would be him easily, so I'll have to give it to Weber (who is also having a strong year).

The next 6-9 years should be a no-brainer though.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Weber has definitely significantly been better this season.

Some people jump to fast at the opportunity to show that they actually don’t watch hockey games.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
If right now is defined as this season, I'll take Weber.
If right now is defined as this season and recent history, I'll take Subban.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Yes at least a dozen or so pretty easily
Sure if you're just looking at raw production... And Webers is pretty damn good...

But factor in how the Habs have gone from among the leagues worst in GAA and SV% to the leagues best- before and after Weber rejoined the club. He's the best defensive player in the game. Eye test... common stats... advanced stats... they all say so.

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
different type of players it's hard to compare even if both are right handed d-men. but Subban brings more that's for sure

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think overall Subban is better, but it's not by much and he isn't currently better this season. It is funny to see people who still think Montreal got hosed on this trade.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Subban is having a bit of a down year, but he’s been better than Weber for a long time. Weber has been better this season, but there’s still 30 games to go and Subban usually finishes strong.

I voted for Subban due to being better than Weber since 2012-13, and will likely continue to be better.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad