Subban makes a Christmas Surprise

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You have to love his charisma. Many people do good things and mean well but PK seems like a natural at it. He seems to have a way with the kids too so I'm sure they had a blast.

Good for PK, glad for the kids and I wish more of the habs did this. I realize they already do their share but would be awesome if they did even more. It's always great to see.

Apr 28, 2010
Richard Park? :sarcasm:

I don't think Asians have the genetic makeup to build the physique for hockey. Maybe in a few generations.

Just think of some of the sports Asians are legitimately elite at. Diving, badminton, ping pong, kickboxing / thai boxing, Starcraft, League of Legends?

Perfect for Canadiens hockey. :sarcasm:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Yeah, when they all go "It's PK! IT'S PK!!!!!!!", it's awesome.

Lots of black kids uh, I wonder if that's a PK effect of sort where they identify to him and try hockey.

One of the reasons why the league would have preferred PK play in the States. If the NHL could make a dent in the African-American community, they'd make a lot more money and could probably pass the NBA in the Big 4. Not to mention, more black players would make their way to the league (Even though more and more blacks are in the show now) and that would just boost that attraction factor.

Hockey needs a charismatic Asian player. No offense to Paul Kariya, but he had the personality of drying paint.

this is a little bit of a stretch, but I agree with the premise. I honestly think that if more black people cared about hockey they could totally take over the game, which would be pretty dope to see.

Dec 8, 2014
Asian? Manny Malhotra? ;)

Malhotra.jpg

manny.jpg

guys malhotra is black !

TheSubbanator76

Oct 13, 2014

Lots of black kids uh, I wonder if that's a PK effect of sort where they identify to him and try hockey.

One of the reasons why the league would have preferred PK play in the States. If the NHL could make a dent in the African-American community, they'd make a lot more money and could probably pass the NBA in the Big 4. Not to mention, more black players would make their way to the league (Even though more and more blacks are in the show now) and that would just boost that attraction factor.

Hockey needs a charismatic Asian player. No offense to Paul Kariya, but he had the personality of drying paint.

Have you been to MTL? Huge black population.. 2nd biggest in Canada.. Black people are more athletic so wait for another takeover ladies n gentz, its inevitable

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
When I see this and an 8 year contract, and hopefully more, and I look 60 years into the future, I see the honouring of PK in his state funeral at Whatever-Centre in Montreal, where I hope this clip will be played. I will be long gone but I hope PK builds up a great legacy and there is a huge place for him in the team's history.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Have you been to MTL? Huge black population.. 2nd biggest in Canada.. Black people are more athletic so wait for another takeover ladies n gentz, its inevitable

Sorry I have to roll my eyes at this comment. Surely we see a lot of black athletes but I think its ignorant to put down white people over a stereotype (albeit a positive one). There are incredible athletes throughout the NHL.

I'm not gonna get into it on HF but I just want to say I think it's stupid and regressive to have an attitude of contempt for white athletes. I would love to see more diversity among the NHL 100%. But I get offended when the push for diversity is blended with putting one group down in favor of another. That's not true or honest equality. And frankly while I can see way more diversity in the coming years, whose to say that suddenly all the stars will be black? Really unlikely even if athletics is considered.

Sorry I don't mean to single you out or put words in your mouth. Your post just kinda sparked a reaction in me.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Watched this with my daughter, she is no hockey fan by the way(breaks my heart) She kept mentioning how nice it was of PK to make great memories with those kids.PK Subban is more than just a hockey player, he is a great human being.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
It will take more than a PK subban to get this sport in the mainstream with the black community.

Hell, the sport is not mainstream even with the white community in the US.

The biggest obstacle that the NHL faces in terms of growing their product is the sheer cost to play the sport relative to the other sports.

Whoever is not well off is not going to invest in hockey, and unfortunately, the black community faces many challenges especially in the US.

Without widespread affluence, getting interest in this sport is going go be extremely difficult, PK or no PK.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It will take more than a PK subban to get this sport in the mainstream with the black community.

Hell, the sport is not mainstream even with the white community in the US.

The biggest obstacle that the NHL faces in terms of growing their product is the sheer cost to play the sport relative to the other sports.

Whoever is not well off is not going to invest in hockey, and unfortunately, the black community faces many challenges especially in the US.

Without widespread affluence, getting interest in this sport is going go be extremely difficult, PK or no PK.

So nicely hopeless are we?

TheSubbanator76

Oct 13, 2014
Sorry I have to roll my eyes at this comment. Surely we see a lot of black athletes but I think its ignorant to put down white people over a stereotype (albeit a positive one). There are incredible athletes throughout the NHL.

I'm not gonna get into it on HF but I just want to say I think it's stupid and regressive to have an attitude of contempt for white athletes. I would love to see more diversity among the NHL 100%. But I get offended when the push for diversity is blended with putting one group down in favor of another. That's not true or honest equality. And frankly while I can see way more diversity in the coming years, whose to say that suddenly all the stars will be black? Really unlikely even if athletics is considered.

Sorry I don't mean to single you out or put words in your mouth. Your post just kinda sparked a reaction in me.

Well it depends on how you define athletic ability. Each race generally tends to have genetics that lend themselves to a certain athletic ability. Have you ever seen a white man/asian man truly compete in the final of the 100m dash? No, because it is a fact that black people have more fast twitch fibers and 20% higher levels of testosterone. Hockey is a fast game, where strength, speed, and quickness make a player stand out. Also, blacks originating from the west indies and west Africa (Go check stats) are taller, on average. You put those 3 athletic assets together, along with greater access to facilities and equipment and hockey would approach NBA/NFL levels of 75% of players being black. It's not just a coincidence that all the sports requiring the speed, strength, quickness combo are black dominated (sprinting, basketball, football).

Last edited:

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
Well it depends on how you define athletic ability. Each race generally tends to have genetics that lend themselves to a certain athletic ability. Have you ever seen a white man/asian man truly compete in the final of the 100m dash? No, because it is a fact that black people have more fast twitch fibers and 20% higher levels of testosterone. Hockey is a fast game, where strength, speed, and quickness make a player stand out. Also, blacks originating from the west indies and west Africa (Go check stats) are taller, on average. You put those 3 athletic assets together, along with greater access to facilities and equipment and hockey would approach NBA/NFL levels of 75% of players being black. It's not just a coincidence that all the sports requiring the speed, strength, quickness combo are black dominated (sprinting, basketball, football).

you can't compare sprinting with hockey.

Now about other leagues, you can't just take stats out of your ass and try to predict what is gonna happen. while it's true that the nfl is mostly composed of black players, there are more white quarterbacks. Why is that?

Your comments about genetics favorizing them on the physical side could also be countered by stats about lower average IQ in the same countries. Hockey is both brawn and brain, more so than football imo. I clearly see more black players getting in the NHL, and more of them to become stars, but I don't think that genetically they are as advantaged in hockey as they are in sprinting or football. I would say that at best the NHL could become close to 50/50, which would be awesome.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

To play hockey requires a big financial commitment. More than baseball, football, soccer or basketball. A lot more. If you look at the earnings of American black households, they lag behind American white & even Hispanic households. And not by a little bit. By a lot.

In Canada it's a little different. Black households don't lag as far behind.

Also Blacks represent 12% of the American population and about 2% of the Canadian population but when you look at this year's junior teams.

American - no black players.
Canadian - 3: Duclair, Bowery & Nurse. And in some pictures Nick Paul looks like he's of a mixed background but I'm not sure so I won't count him.

As long as Canadian black households earn more than American black households, Canadian black players will be outnumbering American black players in the NHL even though there are 36-37 million American blacks and a little less than 2 million Canadian blacks. It's more a question of economics than it is of the game's exposure.

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
Bah, that's nothing... he did not even write a book against bullying in school - now that's something real.

Srsly - awesome thing. I wonder who had the idea - I doubt it's the marketing staff since it does not happen with others. PK had a ton of funny vids made already like the Boston Pizza ones, the Meteo guy and all the rest. I suspect it comes from him.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
He's half Pakistani

His father is Indian, not Pakistani. (Also has quit an impressive number of patents to his name.)

Lahore was part of India pre-partition, where and when his dad (and mine ftm) was born.

Also, "Malhotra" is a very common Hindu Indian surname.

Not to be anal about it, but I'm claiming him. ;)

Also, Paul Kariya was awesome. His personality, if anything, was very 'Canadian', or at least in the way we are perceived. I highly doubt that were he like PK, it would have influenced the Japanese-American population in California.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Richard Park? :sarcasm:

I don't think Asians have the genetic makeup to build the physique for hockey. Maybe in a few generations.

Just think of some of the sports Asians are legitimately elite at. Diving, badminton, ping pong, kickboxing / thai boxing, Starcraft, League of Legends?

Ever been to dong bei man? There's where they'd be giants. And fighting is their national pastime....

Edit: and they play hockey, as it's even colder than in Canada. But to say that they play hockey, badly, is an understatement.

As it is now, lots of rich parents pushing their kids to play the most expensive sport they can find, hockey. One of my friends here coaches kids professionally here, so it wouldn't surprise me if in 10-15 years china is 'somewhat' competitive internationally.

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I won't get into the debate over race other than to say there is more to Hockey than quick muscle twitch. And as a parallel I would say look to Soccer, Blacks don't dominate in that sport but are a certainly an important contributor. Despite many african nations having top level soccer teams. Or the fact a lot of nations like France, England, Italy having major urban areas and a diverse cultural ancestry, with a very inexpensive sport to be in. So no I don't see this as the sport that will ever look like basketball or football. Even baseball still has a fair number of over weight white dudes ;)

Regardless I think what Subban did is great contributor to outreach and I wonder more if our dearly loved Don Cherry will bother to show this on HNIC. You know how he goes on and on about people doing things for police, military, kids and anyone who ever had a connection to hockey, hershey, or kingston.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
...I wonder more if our dearly loved Don Cherry will bother to show this on HNIC. You know how he goes on and on about people doing things for police, military, kids and anyone who ever had a connection to hockey, hershey, or kingston.

Cherry can say some bonehead things but you do know he has gone on record as saying that PK is a kid you want as your son.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad