Subban Contract Talk VIII - Always darkest before the dawn...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
If Subban ends up going to a fun team, it would be hard not to cheer for them.

Fun team eh? Feels like we haven't had one in a long time.

Jacques Martin and Michel Therrien are killing it

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Name one contract extension in the history of the Canadiens comparable to the one being considered for Subban. It's apples and oranges.

It didn't have to get to this point had Bergevin not shoved a bridge-deal down his throat. Now we'll have Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi and Beaulieu ... AND SUBBAN to sign at the same time.

Other teams have signed players to huge contracts too, it's not that complicated for a team with supposedly deep pockets, and history doesn't apply to a rapidly inflating dollar amount. Apples and oranges indeed.

Molson will charge you 13$ a beer and won't pay Subban what he's worth.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Using Paul Martin and Marc Staal as comparables for PK Subban in my opinion is nickel and diming.

I just don't understand your logic then. You think the Habs should have selected higher salaried players, when that would increase the floor of the reward, so as to not "nickel-and-dime" him? Do you think that PK should have used lower salaried comparables so as to not be "greedy"?

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 7m
My uneducated opinion from afar: MTL likes, maybe really likes, Subban but doesn't LOVE him. And you have to LOVE someone at 8 x $8-9M+ per.

^ If Bobby Mac is right then this is concerning.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
If Subban ends up going to a fun team, it would be hard not to cheer for them.

I don't get this at all. I cheer for the Habs, not just for Subban. If he leaves I'll be ****ing pissed but I'll still be cheering for Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, etc.

Wandering Maroon

Sep 11, 2010
Comedy of Errors

Bergevin and the management team better think twice on this one. Let's say the arbitrator rules $ 7.8 million in Year 1 and he walks in Year 2. Who's going to take his minutes then?

Markov won't last for three years and Beaulieu isn't ready to take a top role because of his defensive lapses. We'll give Emelin the benefit of doubt. Tinordi isn't there yet. Weaver and Gilbert most likely will be gone. Pateryn, Dietz, Ellis, Thrower ???? Oh yeah, I forgot the secret weapon from Sweden Magnus Nygren is going to take his minutes.

You would think with this many ex dmen in management, they would be able to give him credit.:( Sad day for PK fans. I guess I'll have to watch him somewhere else.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
MTL should love subban, his family, his friends, his goldfish if they want this team to be anything better then this **** circus it has been for last 20+++ years

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I keep asking myself; what's being gained by the Habs here? A million and a half on the cap? Two millions and a half?
If so, is it worth it? This is bizarre. It goes against the way I rationalized this situation from the beginning.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
My uneducated opinion from afar: MTL likes, maybe really likes, Subban but doesn't LOVE him. And you have to LOVE someone at 8 x $8-9M+ per.

That's exactly what I was thinking since, well, since last summer. They don't like Subban that much. They're not ready to give him 8 years at 8-9M.

And yes, this is concerning.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I keep asking myself; what's being gained by the Habs here? A million and a half on the cap? Two millions and a half?
If so, is it worth it? This is bizarre. It goes against the way I rationalized this situation from the beginning.

They doled out extensions to Desharnais, Emelin and Bouillon like candy.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Even if you don't love the guy you can easily trade him for a great return at that contract. Just beyond ridiculous how badly Bergevin has ****ed this up.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
It didn't have to get to this point had Bergevin not shoved a bridge-deal down his throat. Now we'll have Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi and Beaulieu ... AND SUBBAN to sign at the same time.

Other teams have signed players to huge contracts too, it's not that complicated for a team with supposedly deep pockets, and history doesn't apply to a rapidly inflating dollar amount. Apples and oranges indeed.

Molson will charge you 13$ a beer and won't pay Subban what he's worth.

I share your anger, just saying that extending Desharnais or Emelin has nothing to do with this situation. It's a unique situation, to the Canadiens at least.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006

In the footage of the first season of 24/7, I got told Bergevin was mad and started swearing and throwing things all the way around the room he was in and calling Subban names after a game he made a costly mistake. Of course this scene didn't make the cut.

Not sure what it really means, but knowing how the negotiations are going right now i'd says it's concerning.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
The bridge deal didn't create anything. It was a first move, that's all. Like a first move in chess, it only becomes good or bad depending on the follow-up move and the final result.

If the bridge deal was part of a strategy to follow-up with a fair long-term contract, it would've accomplished securing Subban into his 30s. Agree with it or not, it's a valid way of locking up a core player.

On the other hand, if the bridge deal was symptomatic of an organization that refuses to pay elite players elite salaries, then we have a serious problem. Forget about keeping any of the stars we develop.

You fail to recognize that all along some of us have said that MB has no idea the player Subban is. Today is proof that he has no idea how to handle a superstar.

The bridge contract was bad from day 1. Sure if you're an optimist, you could put a positive spin on it. Unfortunately some of us are realist and saw the opportunity to put the best piece, for a very favorable deal, in our back pocket for years and we failed to so. Today was paramount in the evaluation of the bridge deal, and as I thought all along, it was a huge mistake.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Well, it's evident that this organization is still run by idiots if they won't give their god damn franchise defenseman an 8 year deal.

I hated the bridge deal before and I still do, even more now. This is just ****ing terrible and you can't help but feel like Subban's time on the team is winding down.

If this next contract isn't a long term deal...well, ****.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
This situation is very frustrating.

Something people fail to mention : Not a lot of players WANT to play in a pressure cooker like MTL. PK not only wants to, he excels at it. The taxes are also huge in Quebec so of course PK is seeking a big contract after doing great in MTL.

If the team screws this up I am done honestly. PK is miles away the best skater we've had a long a time (Markov is good but IMO not as electric and never has been; Price is up there but that's 1 person). That's it. Otherwise we had decent players, some talent, but nothing close to Subban.

The fact that this deal didn't get easily signed way earlier is just sad and leaves me wondering what the hell the organization is thinking.

Agreed. It's not like this is New York, LA or Pittsburgh where players want to come play. It's a place that is known for chewing up players. a city where most players refuse to come to. Habs have not had anyone like PK for so long. They finally get a guy like him....a guy that actually wants to play in Montreal...and then they nickel and dime him. I'm all for having a plan and wanting to keep salaries manageable but certain players should have different rules. You're not going to treat a PK like you treat a fringe 4th liner. This should have NEVER gotten to this point no matter which side of the fence you stand on.

The organization still doesn't get it. Still making the same ****ing mistakes they've been making the last decade now. New faces, same result.

Evecey

Jul 30, 2014
Halifax, NS
On the other hand, if the bridge deal was symptomatic of an organization that refuses to pay elite players elite salaries, then we have a serious problem. Forget about keeping any of the stars we develop.

This is what is worrying me the most in this.

It seems we've been so long without an impact / franchise type player, the organization has forgotten how to treat one...or worse, they are using the same "how to treat your franchise player for dummies" manual they used in 1995.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Not signing Subban long-term would be one of the most ridiculous ****ing things this organization has ever done. I am beyond irate and fed up with this ********.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
You would think with this many ex dmen in management, they would be able to give him credit.:( Sad day for PK fans. I guess I'll have to watch him somewhere else.

Well, maybe that's the problem right there. Some egos are getting in the way. Some former, very average dmen saying "Back in the days bla bla bla".

I don't know. Something seems off with the whole thing and I doubt it's because Subban is asking for 12M a year.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It's about the market. Why give DD a 3.5 million contract when you have him on his last RFA year. Were the habs really worried that DD would be snatched up by a team for 5 million? 3.5 for a one dimensional, small forward is quite significant.

Subban on the other hand, if he was a UFA, would have at least half the teams in the NHL bidding for him.

3.5M is not significant at all for a 55-60 pts center.

I'd say that DD is paid fairly, but because of the pts he put up, he had the potential to get even more quite easily. When MB signed him, DD had had a really really good month with Pacioretty and if he had finished the season like that... we might have had to pay more than 3.5M. It was a gamble at the time. One I'm sure MB regretted a little when DD was struggling big time, but one i'm sure he's happy with right now.

And WHAT ABOUT EMELIN ??? Does he speak french ? He didn't have fancy offensive numbers. Couldn't we have played hard ball with him ?

Personally I think neither Emelin or DD are overpaid. I like both players. The language issue is BS and needs to be dropped like yesterday, so is the race issue. This is something else. What ? I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad