Subban Contract Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halifaxhab*

whoa! Bro....you just directed a world of hurt at yourself.

I got something for you to fight thru it....Cause **** just hit the fan

075967b48ae111e38f0612c570be8456_8.jpg

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
MB is under extreme pressure to get a deal done IMO. He will be ripped publicly and in the media if he doesn't (rightfully so). I really don't see this going to arbitration, or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself of that.

I'm expecting a long term deal to get done but I wont lie, I get more and more nervous with every passing hour.

Ive been glued to my phone the past two days expecting something getting done.. If it's not long term or gets to arbitration, I'm going to be really pissed.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I really doubt this goes to arbitration. It just does not make sense to go that route especially when you hear the numbers being reported out of subban's camp.

There's a long term deal to be made here that is beneficial to both sides. It will be done.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I hope this 6.5/7M AAV from the Habs is nothing more than rumors. Ridiculous numbers for Subban at this point in time.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I hope this 6.5/7M AAV from the Habs is nothing more than rumors. Ridiculous numbers for Subban at this point in time.

Can you be more specific? Ridiculously low you mean? Subban should and will be getting 9.5 x 8 years.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
I really doubt this goes to arbitration. It just does not make sense to go that route especially when you hear the numbers being reported out of subban's camp.

There's a long term deal to be made here that is beneficial to both sides. It will be done.

You have the best special message and avatar combo of all time. The WORLD need Feeny though tbh.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
And the next year he signed a offer sheet because he wanted to leave.

If you want to leave you don't sign a contract that gives the team first option at retaining you for the next 14 years. He signed an offer sheet because he wanted to be paid 80 million dollars over the next 6 years.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I can't believe people think Bergevin is stupid enough to go to arbitration or do a short term deal. There is a 95% chance this will be a long term deal.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
But if Bergevin would have signed Subban to the 5 years/25 M, Habs would have bought only one year of UFA.

I think he will be signed long term today (5 to 8 years - 3 to 6 UFA years bought).

And the relationship between the Habs and Subban wouldn't have been tainted the way it is today.

Really. People just brush up the fact the past negotiations between the two parties went sour, mostly due to Bergevin's avarice, let's be honest here, but I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier for Subban, nor Meehan, to come forth saying he'll take a pay cut to stay on his favorite team.

PK saying all is right in the medias doesn't mean squat. He's been treated like he was nothing ever since Bergevin and Therrien took over while he's been our best player, and one of the best at his position in the league.

How many teams in this league have that kind of relationship with their team's backbones? The worst thing in this whole fiasco is that Kevin Weeks was right in his tweets last night.

PricePkPatch*

Because i feel it's worth quoting here.

From the main n board:

I was listening to Don Meehan on the Bob McCowan show yesterday. He said that the negotiations have been very professional and the main issue right now is determining how much the cap is expected to go up in the years of a contract. He said that the revenue historically goes up about 6 - 7 % a year and they are trying to use the 2005/06 year as a measuring stick and that's where the sticking point is.

He said that the Habs are very aware of just how popular PK is in the community and on the team. It's business and PK is well aware of that.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
This is my guess for what happens btw.

And it is a guess because unlike most of you apparantly, I don't have VIP access to the negotiations and to Mark Bergevin and Don Meehan's minds.

$8.5 million per RFA year
$10.5 million per UFA year

$80 million/8 years. $10 million AAV.

Halifaxhab*

And the relationship between the Habs and Subban wouldn't have been tainted the way it is today.

Really. People just brush up the fact the past negotiations between the two parties went sour, mostly due to Bergevin's avarice, let's be honest here, but I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier for Subban, nor Meehan, to come forth saying he'll take a pay cut to stay on his favorite team.

PK saying all is right in the medias doesn't mean squat. He's been treated like he was nothing ever since Bergevin and Therrien took over while he's been our best player, and one of the best at his position in the league.

How many teams in this league have that kind of relationship with their team's backbones? The worst thing in this whole fiasco is that Kevin Weeks was right in his tweets last night.

I'll put more weight right now into Meehan's comments than Weeks'. Meehan may be a little closer to the situation.

Besides big money long term deals tend to wipe the taint clean

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'll put more weight right now into Meehan's comments than Weeks'. Meehan may be a little closer to the situation.

Besides big money long term deals tend to wipe the taint clean

The high school version of myself laughs at the bolded. :D

PricePkPatch*

9.5mil per year is absolutely too much. Wake up people.

Our best scorer
Playoff clutcher
Fan favorite
Leader to our youth
Signed until hes past his prime (and not DURING his prime)

Nah, not too much.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
9.5mil per year is absolutely too much. Wake up people.

Uh, I think it's you that needs to wake up. 9.5M is exactly where it should be. It has to be north of $8.5 because we already know that's the 1 year arbitration number. Longer term = more money. That's why Eller is at 3.5 when his arbitration was 3.1.

If you are willing to let a Superstar walk over a million (or even 2) it's a good thing you are not GM.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
This is my guess for what happens btw.

And it is a guess because unlike most of you apparantly, I don't have VIP access to the negotiations and to Mark Bergevin and Don Meehan's minds.

$8.5 million per RFA year
$10.5 million per UFA year

$80 million/8 years. $10 million AAV.

Ouch. I hope it's less than that.

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
Uh, I think it's you that needs to wake up. 9.5M is exactly where it should be. It has to be north of $8.5 because we already know that's the 1 year arbitration number. Longer term = more money. That's why Eller is at 3.5 when his arbitration was 3.1.

If you are willing to let a Superstar walk over a million (or even 2) it's a good thing you are not GM.

Well, lets see the numbers when deal is done. Im also glad that blind fanboys aint our GM...

Halifaxhab*

Our best scorer
Playoff clutcher
Fan favorite
Leader to our youth
Signed until hes past his prime (and not DURING his prime)

Nah, not too much.

I see 9M....maybe 9.5M (remember the tax rate is high) as very much in the mix

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I didn't lose a shred of rationale. I have once said PK was being disrespected. There's been a trend about PK on these boards and that is, if you think a deal should have been done already or if you mention that the bridge deal was bad, then it means:
1- You're just a fanboy.
2- You have lost your mind and rationality.
3- You hate Bergevin.
4- You think PK should get 1223492309 million dollars.

It's like talking to children. There is absolutely understanding.

And really, if the guy that said PK didn't even prove to be top tier on his team is calling me irrational, I'm okay with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside
As well as every single PP. I wonder how many of PK's points were assisted to or from Markov...? I doubt it's a lot of them.

Stop moving the goalposts. You said PK played a good stretch of the year with Markov making it a wash. You were wrong and it's okay, you're allowed to be wrong.
Markov played 10 games with PK, Weber played 70 with Suter and that's because the later missed 12 games.

Altogether, PK played about 1/4 of his entire minutes with Markov.
Meanwhile Weber played about 3/4 of his with Suter.
So yes, it's definitely not a wash. This is also not even factoring that Suter is better than Markov..

Speaking about talking with children, arguing with you is like arguing with a 6 year old with ADD. You move from arguement to arguement and cherry pick snipettes of conversation that apparently"prove" your point and completely disregard the point of the quote to begin with.

Case in point your quoting me saying that PK didn't prove he was "top tier" on his own team. You cherry picked that from a different xconversation on a different topic but are using it as a sound bite to show how smart you are.

In it's orginal context, I said that Markov was the Habs #1 defenseman last year. He was given all the tough assignments, on the ice for the last minute of tight games, on the PK on the PP and had more hard minutes than PK did. It wasn't until the end of the year that PK was given more and more of these assignements. If you think this is wrong then you're beyond fan boy, you're delusional.

I made that comment on the pretext that people like you amongst many other said that PK has proven he's a top tier defenseman in the NHL, which to my point he hasn't yet. I also went on to say he has all the potential to become that defenseman but giving him the same money as Kane and Toews ($10M) was unjustified because he hasn't proven himself to the extent that they have.

I'm sure that's highly inflammatory comment and reasoning for someone as yourself who can't see past PK and his Godliness but I think for most, it's a pretty sound arguement. Unfortunatley, you didn't use my arguement, you took a small part of it out of context to try to show how smart you are and how dumb I am. How's that working out for you now?

As for playing time, you seem to have missed the point all together. I NEVER compared the playing time with Weber and Suter vs playing time of Markov and PK. Again, this is a figment of your imagination and you seeing what you wanted to see and argueming points I never made.

I was alluding to the fact that PK playing a good portion of the season with Markov and that helped him out. He said Markov was a huge influence and I'm sure if you or another person were to look up how many of PK's points include Markov, it would be the majority of his points. I also said, infatically that Markov PK pairing was not a better tandem to Suter Weber, and never said they were, not that you noticed. I did say that when PK and Markov played together that they were considered one of the best tandems in the league and that helped PK. Again, who is this inflamatory and saying that they were better than Suter and Weber?

Your probelm Kriss is that you think your smarter than you are. You take arguements that people make and rather than comment on their merits you distort what the person is saying to fit whatever paradigm you're pushing. I've noticed this as have other posters. Though I'm sure you'll quote me on a different topic and comment to prove how wrong I am. Have fun with that. ;)

As for myself, I've been very clear. I think PK is worth a long term deal in the $8M range. Wow, how inflammatory and stupid I must be to insult PK and not think he's worth $10m per right now.

PricePkPatch*

I see 9M....maybe 9.5M (remember the tax rate is high) as very much in the mix

"Signed until past his prime" is key here. Hell be 32, still good but past his prime.

You have to consider that when counting the contract. All comparable contracts end DURING prime years and thus should be valued lower as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad