Subban Contract Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

No idea how reliable this guy is but if this is true then it's looking really good.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 1m
Despite arb numbers, Habs ultimate magic AAV number seems to be bw $6.5M-$7M, whereas PK camp is bw $7.5M-$8M. We shall see where it falls.

The comments that came out about subban not trying to become highest paid d-man and now this tweet are getting me very very excited that we may see something around 7 million ish if we get pk for what phaneuf makes........:amazed:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
No, it's not naive or small minded at all. The cap number is what matters the most to a GM of a team that spends to the cap.

The Weber and Suter contracts are a product of their time, much like Bobby Holik's deal with the Rangers was a product of its pre-cap era time. Nobody would seriously reference Bobby Holik's contract as any sort of standard in a cap world though.

The best comparables now are with deals that were signed with top DMen since the new cap rules came into place.

You're only looking at it from one side. The GM's. What about the player?

Paid salary is real salary. You can't close your eyes and wish it away. You can't just pretend that the last 4 or 6 years of Weber's contract don't exist.

How many Norris trophy winners have been signed under the new CBA?

You can't pick and choose. Everything needs to be considered.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
Only one that really fits this situation is Letang. On his 3rd contract, signed a bridge deal (Letang's bridge deal was 4 yrs at 3.5 which is much more than what PK signed for), signed in the current cba. PK is better, younger and healthier than Letang so the starting point should be Letang's 7,25mil per.

Healthier in hindsight.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
This type of contracts are no ultimately that much about raw salary numbers (because lets face it, even 48 million (6x8) is hell lot of money) butappreciation and value - how I, the player, is doing and valued compared to my peers.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
It's a number going into arbitration. It's like a number you start a haggling process with, which is generally much different than what you're willing to settle for.

No, it's not very, very low for him. It's very, very fair. How many defensemen have a cap hit of 7.5 M a year or more?

You have to see it as an 8 year contract. 2 RFA years 6UFA years at prime considering PK is young. So if he requests 8.5 for a 1-2 year deal in his RFA years the next 6 should be worth more.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I think what is important to understand, is that the 5.25 to 8.5 range is strictly in the context of a 1 year RFA deal. The real numbers for a long term contract covering mostly UFA years is going to be proportionally higher. I am still calling for an 8/76 contract. Good value and very fitting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad