Speculation: Subban and that bridge contract..(what to expect with his next extension)

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
I would be hoping that Florida felt the same way.......I like PK he's a very good PMD, skates well and has a good shot on the pp. I know its hard to accurately project the potential of prospects however when you look at a winning lineup Vs the Habs....down the middle we are small, soft & thin. IMHO we need to build on the AG pick from last year.

We don't need another center, we are set for the future with Eller and Galchenyuk. Do you know anything about Mackinnon? Trading P.k straight up for him would be a very very dumb thing to do.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I would be hoping that Florida felt the same way.......I like PK he's a very good PMD, skates well and has a good shot on the pp. I know its hard to accurately project the potential of prospects however when you look at a winning lineup Vs the Habs....down the middle we are small, soft & thin. IMHO we need to build on the AG pick from last year.

Funnily enough, if you look at both teams in the finals, their centers are Krejci, Bergeron, Toews, Bolland... No big centers.

And trading PK is just silly.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
BTW, I would trade PK for the Nathan MacKinnon pick straight up...we would get another stud C and avoid the whole messy contract issue if it was possible.
And leave us with a smoking crater of a hole in the defence corps. Brilliant. You're not Reggie Houle trolling us, are you?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have MacKinnon, but you don't trade Norris-trophy calibre defencemen. Ever.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Trade Subban? Because he's going to get a significant raise in his next contract?

The 'salary cap soldiers' are alive and well I see lol

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
Here's my take on what Subban will be getting. I'm pretty sure it'll be close to Karlsson's. I like Subban and I'm he wants to stay in Montreal. I would think that this deal if fair to both parties. I'm guessing a contract something like this:

Year 1: 5.75M
Year 2: 6.5M
Year 3: 6.5M
Year 4: 6.75M
Year 5: 7M
Year 6: 7.25M
Year 7: 7.5M

47.25M for 7 years - 6.75M AAV

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
A big and honest :laugh: at all those who would trade Subban for picks and prospects.

Remember the last time Habs traded a Norris caliber dman? Yes, that was a huge mistake. And Chelios was 28 at the time. Now we have a 24 yo. Norris caliber dman. You build around this, period.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
A big and honest :laugh: at all those who would trade Subban for picks and prospects.

Remember the last time Habs traded a Norris caliber dman? Yes, that was a huge mistake. And Chelios was 28 at the time. Now we have a 24 yo. Norris caliber dman. You build around this, period.

Chelios for D. Savard
McDonagh for S. Gomez

The problem isn't that we traded for picks or prospects, lol.

You know why we traded Chelios, but if the truth doesn't fit the narrative who cares?

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Here's my take on what Subban will be getting. I'm pretty sure it'll be close to Karlsson's. I like Subban and I'm he wants to stay in Montreal. I would think that this deal if fair to both parties. I'm guessing a contract something like this:

Year 1: 5.75M
Year 2: 6.5M
Year 3: 6.5M
Year 4: 6.75M
Year 5: 7M
Year 6: 7.25M
Year 7: 7.5M

47.25M for 7 years - 6.75M AAV

I was thinking almost exactly the same numbers. Good deal for both sides

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Chelios for D. Savard
McDonagh for S. Gomez

The problem isn't that we traded for picks or prospects, lol.

You know why we traded Chelios, but if the truth doesn't fit the narrative who cares?

I know we didn't. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but my point is: when you have a young/prime Norris caliber dman, you don't trade him, period. Whatever the return is, it's unlikely to be worth it.

Look at the history a little bit:

Niedermayer: Norris in 2004 (Devils), he leaves to the Mighty Ducks. Who won a cup afterwards?

Pronger: Norris in 2000 (Blues), traded to Oilers, then to Mighty Ducks, then ends up with the Flyers. Who went into the finals and/or won the cup?

Rob Blake: Norris in 1998 (Kings), traded to Colorado, you know the rest...

Lidstrom: NOT traded :)laugh:) Multiple Norris in the 2000's, Wings were perennial contenders during that time.

As for the Chelios trade, there was more to these moves than purely hockey considerations, of course. But to me, it's clear that if you can hold on to your Norris caliber dman, you do! Especially when he's barely 24 years old.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
What a novel idea. So...what happens when those pics outplay their ELC's? Do we play hardball again with them and then trade them away when we realize the bridge deal screwed us?

Some fans here really deserve the 20 years of poop we've endured.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
BTW, I would trade PK for the Nathan MacKinnon pick straight up...we would get another stud C and avoid the whole messy contract issue if it was possible.

So 4 years down the road you can trade McKinnon for the next top pick? You don't build a team this way. Sheesh.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Hey guys, I just had a genius idea.

Imagine is Chuckie breaks out next season and gets like... 70 points.

We could then trade him for 1st round picks and avoid resigning him after his ELC ('cause you know, he'd have a huge contract raise).

We would then have lots of good prospects and loads of room on the salary cap!!!1!! :nod:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
What a novel idea. So...what happens when those pics outplay their ELC's? Do we play hardball again with them and then trade them away when we realize the bridge deal screwed us?

Some fans here really deserve the 20 years of poop we've endured.

and how about, it doesnt screw anyone, P.K. will get a better deal based on the season he had (assuming he keeps the pace) and Habs will be paying for a player they know for sure is worth his salary...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
and how about, it doesnt screw anyone, P.K. will get a better deal based on the season he had (assuming he keeps the pace) and Habs will be paying for a player they know for sure is worth his salary...

That argument is so opportunistic. There was so MANY posters on here saying Subban had Norris potential and could blossom in the next few years, hence why we should have signed him long-term to a cheaper deal right away. There's always a risk involved in signing long-term a player out of his ELC, but doing so with Subban would have been a calculated risk that would have already started to pay off for us.

Let's not act like what happened this season totally came out of the blue and that Bergevin could not reasonably expect Subban had that kind of talent in him. We've been literally dozens to say it over the last... 3 years? It was bound to happen. Had Bergevin took the risk, we would be saving about 1,5 to 2M on the cap.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
That argument is so opportunistic. There was so MANY posters on here saying Subban had Norris potential and could blossom in the next few years, hence why we should have signed him long-term to a cheaper deal right away. There's always a risk involved in signing long-term a player out of his ELC, but doing so with Subban would have been a calculated risk that would have already started to pay off for us.

Let's not act like what happened this season totally came out of the blue and that Bergevin could not reasonably expect Subban had that kind of talent in him. We've been literally dozens to say it over the last... 3 years? It was bound to happen. Had Bergevin took the risk, we would be saving about 1,5 to 2M on the cap.

expect him to be the best D in the entire league ? no GM/coach expect that from their 22/23 years old D...

the opportunistic part is mostly saying "haha! MB should have known", come on now...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

There will be ample opportunity to save that money on the cap over the next 2 years...

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
expect him to be the best D in the entire league ? no GM/coach expect that from their 22/23 years old D...

the opportunistic part is mostly saying "haha! MB should have known", come on now...

Do you really think Letang, Subban and Suter are the 3 best defensemen in the league? I can live with top 10 in the league but the Norris is really just a what's trendy indicator.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Shea Weber says hello to anyone asking about D in the NHL

I always found Shea Weber to be a bit overrated...that doesn't mean he's not an excellent player, don't get me wrong, I'd take him on the Habs anyday of the week, but I've never found him to be that great defensively, certainly not on the Chara level.

Being physical and laying big hits does not necessarily equate to being great defensively. I always thought Ryan Suter was a much more complete dman than Weber was when they played together in Nashville.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I always found Shea Weber to be a bit overrated...that doesn't mean he's not an excellent player, don't get me wrong, I'd take him on the Habs anyday of the week, but I've never found him to be that great defensively, certainly not on the Chara level.

Being physical and laying big hits does not necessarily equate to being great defensively. I always thought Ryan Suter was a much more complete dman than Weber was when they played together in Nashville.

Yeah I've been Habs fan many years & long for the days of the big three when other teams were told "the crease is ours" & "trespasser's will be moved".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad