Stylish hotel to grace TD Garden

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
No it very much is millenials in places like this. Kids a couple years out of school now in tech and biotech are making >100K, and employers cant find enough of them. It is a freaking awesome time to be a young person if you picked well in college

We have a winner!

I am in biotech. Have been since the beginning in late 70's. Not uncommon for my company to start kids with the right background in sciences and bioengineering in the 75K to 100K area. Start them.

The competition for talent is fierce. In Kendall Sq. alone you can literally leave one company walk next door and hook on with another company.

I kick myself in the ass that I didn't buy one of those vacant lots that was prevalent in the Binney St area in 1980. It looked like a bombed out war zone back then.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
We have a winner!

I am in biotech. Have been since the beginning in late 70's. Not uncommon for my company to start kids with the right background in sciences and bioengineering in the 75K to 100K area. Start them.

The competition for talent is fierce. In Kendall Sq. alone you can literally leave one company walk next door and hook on with another company.

I kick myself in the ass that I didn't buy one of those vacant lots that was prevalent in the Binney St area in 1980. It looked like a bombed out war zone back then.

This is true in other tech areas too. My son at Brown interned at Twitter this summer and less than a month in (when they knew what he was capable of), they offered for him to quit school and start with them full time at nearly 100k. It's crazy that he would start at a salary that it took me over 20 years to attain. But that's the reality for the right kid I guess.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
That is a very good question.

Why is Steve Wynn betting over 2 billion dollars to build a resort in EVERETT????Downtown Crossing is now trendy. Kenmore Square and upper Boylston is trendy.

When I have friends come in from out of town they can not believe what hotels charge here. I get lost in the Seaport area and can't believe how it much has changed in just 15 years. The catalyst of all this is sports related......the sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers to Frank McCourt.

McCourt turned over his parking lots to Rupert Murdoch to buy the team and Murdoch immediately flipped the land to developers. Seems ironic now how the city ( especially South Boston ) fought to keep the Patriots out of the now Seaport area to protect South Boston and look what has happened.

My dad kicks himself everyday that he sold his house in Southie when he did. He was working for the Parole Board and was almost at the 30 year mark, and they had just moved their offices from around the D st area where that smoke stack is (used to be??) to Medfield, and he was just sick of the drive. His commute turned from 5 minutes at the most to an hour plus with traffic, then scrambling to find parking. I understand why he did it, but he sold it in 2005 or 2006, about 5 years too early. He'd be sitting on a gold mine right now if he kept it. He was about two houses up from the corner of I St. and E 8th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad