Stylish hotel to grace TD Garden

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...den?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

A stylish Dutch micro-hotel chain that promises “affordable luxury†has signed a lease for a hotel at Delaware North and Boston Properties’ mixed-used The Hub on Causeway development on the old Boston Garden site.

Amsterdam-based citizenM Hotels is subleasing the planned hotel tower in the 1.5-million-square-foot development in front of TD Garden, according to documents filed with the registry of deeds.

Boston Properties and citizenM did not respond to Herald inquiries. A Delaware North spokeswoman declined comment too, saying information would be released today.

At January’s Hub on Causeway groundbreaking ceremony, the companies said the project’s second phase would include an approximately 260-room hotel in a 10-story building and about 440 residential units in a 38-story tower.

CitizenM, which opened its first hotel at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport in 2008, now has nine hotels in the Netherlands, Glasgow, London, Paris and New York.

The hotels have compact guest rooms with extra large king-sized beds, free Wi-Fi and movies, and a touchscreen “MoodPad†that lets guests control the TV, window blinds, temperature, colored lighting and wake-up alarm themes. The hotels have living room-like lobbies and 24-hour food and beverages.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Put a Star Trek force field around the whole place with limited entrances I am still doing what I have done for years which is not park nowhere near the place and casually walk in

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I looked at some pictures from this chain't hotel in NY. What a bizarre place. The rooms are the basically the same width as the king size bed, so about 7 feet Wide at their widest (that bed is the full width of the room)

citizenm-new-york-times.jpg

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
When I read "micro-hotel", I immediately envisioned the episode of "Seinfeld" where Kramer tucks in Japanese tourists into his chest of drawers. And from the picture of the chain, that's not all that far from the truth...

I haven't found the entry to be all that difficult....then again, I sometimes manage to get there in time to see warmups. If you ignore the people telling you to climb the "mobile entry/premium club" stairs, and go in the main entrance, it's not bad.

Then again, I wonder what they're thinking with that security guard blocking one of the escalators when it's not crowded. I get that they don't want a pile of human flesh at the second floor, but the guards should, in theory, be able to use their discretion.

I hate, hate, hate the construction around the Garden. The entry to the Garden was great for avoiding wearing my coat over my jersey - I can brave 30 seconds of cold from the T if I can go directly in to North Station. Crossing the street blocked by well-meaning families with kids takes about ten times as long.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
Cruise ship rooms look bigger.

This stuff works in Europe but the compact budget hotels are way cheaper and compete directly with hostels and many hostels are a combo of both dorms and small cheap hotel type rooms that may share a bathroom. Its not a cruise ship people don't want to be crammed in. Im sure it will do well because I know if I visited Boston I'd want to fly to Logan, stay downtown where everything is walking distance, and have no worries of expensive cabs or rental cars or parking. And theres probably 100+ nights a year prices get really high for whatever reason.

But I am so sick of the entrance to our arena and how bottlenecked it gets and the wait and crowding. And how they can't run all the escalators because too many people will be on that level and then they hold everyone back for 5 minutes etc etc. Build a second entrance please its not fair and you can't tell fans to show up 15-20 minutes earlier for 7pm games.

They are HUGE right now.., Yotel, Aloft, Ace, Hudson, etc

Besides that, it takes me 5 minutes to get from the entrance to my seat in the balcony . are you doing parkour on your way in?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Noone wants any of this **** they want to enter the friggen place between 6.55 and 7.05 since traffic bad and its tough to make it into town without waiting in huge lines that stretch way past McDonalds outdoors with one of the escalators always closed since JJ was too cheap to spring for a second entrance to the building. Idiot security guards means it takes 10+ minutes to enter the arena unless you are 30 minutes early/late.

That isn't going to happen though is it.

Let me guess parking for the hotel will be the MBTA garage and to park there for Bruins games will now cost 80 dollars because 2 floors are reserved for the hotel?

I have seen all the drawings and now I see all the construction and shudder.

Here is the scary part of this - I was told point blank by a high level Delaware North executive that the company expects TD Garden will still be functional in 2095.

:help::help:

You can still see the never competed Nashua Street entrance with the phantom ticket windows that were never used. The elevator that would go direct from Level 3 to Level 9 was scrapped as well.

My Chicago friend thought our security was a joke. In Chicago she has to empty her purse for every game and at TD they just looked into it and waved her through. Let's not even talk about the escalators that bring fans from North Station to Level 2.

All they really care about are the patrons sitting in Level's 5 and 6.

When the dust settles will the Orange and Green Line have a direct passageway into North Station?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I looked at some pictures from this chain't hotel in NY. What a bizarre place. The rooms are the basically the same width as the king size bed, so about 7 feet Wide at their widest (that bed is the full width of the room)

citizenm-new-york-times.jpg

I had a room that size in Florence Italy once. You literally had to crawl into the bed from the bottom to get in. It was a Queen size bed so whatever the width is of that was the width of my room. Place was literally ancient though. Hundreds and hundreds of years old back to Medieval time.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I'm excited for the new building. Ive also stayed in micro hotels in nyc and I like them. The rooms are small but I don't go on vacation to hangout in my room. I want a clean, modern and comfortable room at a good price and these types of places offer that.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Then again, I wonder what they're thinking with that security guard blocking one of the escalators when it's not crowded. I get that they don't want a pile of human flesh at the second floor, but the guards should, in theory, be able to use their discretion.

It's not for the crowd on the second floor. It's a fire code violation to occupy all escalators in one direction......it is in case of emergency on the 2nd floor or above so people and emergency services have a clear path to get down and out of the building.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I have seen all the drawings and now I see all the construction and shudder.

Here is the scary part of this - I was told point blank by a high level Delaware North executive that the company expects TD Garden will still be functional in 2095.

:help::help:

You can still see the never competed Nashua Street entrance with the phantom ticket windows that were never used. The elevator that would go direct from Level 3 to Level 9 was scrapped as well.

My Chicago friend thought our security was a joke. In Chicago she has to empty her purse for every game and at TD they just looked into it and waved her through. Let's not even talk about the escalators that bring fans from North Station to Level 2.

All they really care about are the patrons sitting in Level's 5 and 6.

When the dust settles will the Orange and Green Line have a direct passageway into North Station?

100 year shelf life on modern day arenas just isn't acceptable. I get that they don't have a place to put a new one if they add the hotel and want to keep it in the same area, but that's crazy.

They can say that all they want, but at the end of the day I'd be shocked if it happens, not that anyone here probably will be around in 2095 to see it (I'd be 109).

Overall though, not sure how I feel about all of this. I get cities need to change and evolve, but when I see stuff like this, it really feels like the city is losing it's soul. It's not so much that they are putting a hotel there, and building up the area around the Garden to be more than bars and the T, it's a combination of that with the general transformation the city has undergone in the past 15 years or so turning everything into luxury condos are getting rid of the old stuff.

Going to the Garden now and not seeing stuff like the Penalty Box makes me sad. I'm sure down the road more and more of those bars will be gone, replaced with god knows what, and the atmosphere won't be the same. The day a place like Half-Time Pizza goes away will be a sad day for me too.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
member when the seaport was bettah in the 80's

member the combat zone

member the elevated expressway

membah tha old BAHN!!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
100 year shelf life on modern day arenas just isn't acceptable. I get that they don't have a place to put a new one if they add the hotel and want to keep it in the same area, but that's crazy.

They can say that all they want, but at the end of the day I'd be shocked if it happens, not that anyone here probably will be around in 2095 to see it (I'd be 109).

Overall though, not sure how I feel about all of this. I get cities need to change and evolve, but when I see stuff like this, it really feels like the city is losing it's soul. It's not so much that they are putting a hotel there, and building up the area around the Garden to be more than bars and the T, it's a combination of that with the general transformation the city has undergone in the past 15 years or so turning everything into luxury condos are getting rid of the old stuff.

Going to the Garden now and not seeing stuff like the Penalty Box makes me sad. I'm sure down the road more and more of those bars will be gone, replaced with god knows what, and the atmosphere won't be the same. The day a place like Half-Time Pizza goes away will be a sad day for me too.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

I agree with you completely.

Jacobs signed a 75 year lease with the MBTA for the garage so they are in for the long haul.

Madison Square Garden was a bad hockey arena when it opened in 1968 but it has been gutted twice and now it is better but it will be around for decades.

There simply isn't enough land to build Boston Garden III.

aerial.jpg

My brain can not handle North Station being considered upscale :laugh::laugh:

Another 10 or 15 years from now the Red Sox are going to have to something with Fenway Park but they have quietly bought most of the land south of the existing park so I think they have a plan in place.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Sorry for the mini-rant.

im not worried about it.

first of all Ill already be dead a long time.

second, the friggen city will be under water by then

:laugh:

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
member when the seaport was bettah in the 80's

member the combat zone

member the elevated expressway

membah tha old BAHN!!

Membah the noise and commotion of Causeway Street with the Green Line above. It was a shock when I first went down there after the tracks were torn down. It looked vast, like the...old Seaport. That said, I'm glad our arena is downtown with train access and bars nearby, construction notwithstanding. I remember watching the Madison Hotel being imploded on Channel 7. The old Garden handled it well.

http://oldtrails.com/LightRail/Boston/raillbos15.htm

Anyone here been to the United Center(where the 2017 Frozen Four will take place)? That neighborhood was brutal in the days of the old Stadium, but is there anything to it now? Amazing that the area just west of the Loop struggled for decades.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Membah the noise and commotion of Causeway Street with the Green Line above. It was a shock when I first went down there after the tracks were torn down. It looked vast, like the...old Seaport. That said, I'm glad our arena is downtown with train access and bars nearby, construction notwithstanding. I remember watching the Madison Hotel being imploded on Channel 7. The old Garden handled it well.

http://oldtrails.com/LightRail/Boston/raillbos15.htm

Anyone here been to the United Center(where the 2017 Frozen Four will take place)? That neighborhood was brutal in the days of the old Stadium, but is there anything to it now? Amazing that the area just west of the Loop struggled for decades.

A few bars have sprung up heading east a couple of blocks - you don't want to go west if you can avoid it. The L tracks go right by the UC but a station was never built as Wirtz lobbied the city not to to protect the parking lot income.

What struck me the most when they tore the L and Central Artery down was how QUIET Causeway Street became.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I had a room that size in Florence Italy once. You literally had to crawl into the bed from the bottom to get in. It was a Queen size bed so whatever the width is of that was the width of my room. Place was literally ancient though. Hundreds and hundreds of years old back to Medieval time.

So you're saying you felt right at home? :laugh: :sarcasm::wally:

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016

Sorry for the mini-rant.
Yah, sorry we got what we got.
Remember when the Red Sox Threatened to leave unless they got a snazzy new park along 128?
That was 1965. Where are they playing 52 years later? Fenway Park.
Remember in like 2008 when the Revs were suppose to get a new Stadium in Somerville or Boston? and 8 years later? like 1/2 the MLS got a new stadium but not the Revs.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
I agree with you completely.

Jacobs signed a 75 year lease with the MBTA for the garage so they are in for the long haul.

Madison Square Garden was a bad hockey arena when it opened in 1968 but it has been gutted twice and now it is better but it will be around for decades.

There simply isn't enough land to build Boston Garden III.

aerial.jpg

My brain can not handle North Station being considered upscale :laugh::laugh:

Another 10 or 15 years from now the Red Sox are going to have to something with Fenway Park but they have quietly bought most of the land south of the existing park so I think they have a plan in place.

Fenway is the 3rd oldest active sports venue in the City, after Matthews Arena and Harvard Stadium (and technically Nickerson Field).
They ownership seems perfectly happy to milk it for what its worth as a baseball museum. Especially after how that whole "New Yankee Stadium" thing went.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
The whole modernizing and 'disneyfication' of cities is something that I struggle with. On one hand, if you look back at what the city was in the 70s-80s and 90s, it was rough. The combat zone and Lansdowne/Kenmore weren't exactly family friendly. I was into hardcore punk music when I lived in Boston, and sometimes after the shows at Axis and Avalon got out and the crowds would mix with people waiting to go clubbing or the Sox crowd, it could get a little rough. Hell, in 2004 they released a documentary called 'Boston Beatdown' about all the fights that happened along Lansdowne, and that was only 12 years ago.

On the other hand, my favorite places to go were to see shows on Lansdowne, Sully's Tap before Bruins' games and basement parties in Allston with cheap beer. That grit of the city and some of the dirtiness that goes with it are what make a city a city, regardless of where it is.

However, that sort of stuff gets old after a while. I'm married with a kid on the way and just came back to Boston for the first time in a few years this past Summer. Oh my how the place has changed. Almost anywhere in the city is nice to walk. It's clean and there are a lot of places to eat. Boston, especially after living in NYC, is a place where I'd want to work and raise kids.

How far do you go with it? I guess there will be a breaking point where people stop going to the city because it isn't any fun anymore? This whole issue is huge in NYC right now. Local bars and diners are closing up every day and a Duane Reade or Chase Bank is now on every corner. Locals are being priced out of every neighborhood and high rise condos are going up in their place. On the flip side, the city is actually livable since the pit it was up until 1990.

That's how I struggle with it. I see the need for the grit and grime. I still like those places too once in a while, but I also see that a city needs to be more than just culture. It needs to make money and be a place where people can live safely.

That said, I'm pumped about this hotel! :laugh: I can take the train up from NYC, get into South Station and pretty much not step foot outside and get to a hotel room near the Garden for a Bruins' game. Outside of the Seaport, the area by the Garden is in the most need of some revitalization. Other than when the Bruins or the Celtics are playing it's pretty much a ghost town with no reason to visit.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That is a very good question.

Why is Steve Wynn betting over 2 billion dollars to build a resort in EVERETT????Downtown Crossing is now trendy. Kenmore Square and upper Boylston is trendy.

When I have friends come in from out of town they can not believe what hotels charge here. I get lost in the Seaport area and can't believe how it much has changed in just 15 years. The catalyst of all this is sports related......the sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers to Frank McCourt.

McCourt turned over his parking lots to Rupert Murdoch to buy the team and Murdoch immediately flipped the land to developers. Seems ironic now how the city ( especially South Boston ) fought to keep the Patriots out of the now Seaport area to protect South Boston and look what has happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No it very much is millenials in places like this. Kids a couple years out of school now in tech and biotech are making >100K, and employers cant find enough of them. It is a freaking awesome time to be a young person if you picked well in college

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No it very much is millenials in places like this. Kids a couple years out of school now in tech and biotech are making >100K, and employers cant find enough of them. It is a freaking awesome time to be a young person if you picked well in college

Certainly is true in Cambridge ( where I grew up )

I am very close to bailing from the area. Crazy thing is I own property in New Hampshire and Florida but I am actually looking hard at Los Angeles for when I retire. I have many friends in SoCal and now they have upgraded public transit where you don't have to be dependent on a car. I just can't see me living in Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->