Stupid Small Sample: Coyotes Early Stats Are...Odd

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It’s October. That means it’s time to hyper analyze ridiculously small sample sizes and draw incredibly premature conclusions. It’s an annual tradition. :)

So let’s look at Arizona.

Coyotes have such intriguing stats:

Shot Attempt Differential (Corsi): 4th in NHL (+78)

Unblocked Shot Attempt Differential (Fenwick): 4th in NHL (+45)

Shots Against per game: 2nd in NHL (23.3)

Shots For per game: 5th in NHL (36.5)

Faceoff Percentage: 5th in NHL (53.3)

Goals Against per game: 4th in NHL (2.25)

Looks good, right? No...

Goals For per game: 31st in NHL (0.50)

What in the actual ****?

The performance indicators are there. The performance is not. Are they going to explode offensively soon or are we looking at a new kind of outlier?

We’ve all seen terrible players with great fancy stats. Are we about to see a whole team that fits that bill?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
It’s October. That means it’s time to hyper analyze ridiculously small sample sizes and draw incredibly premature conclusions. It’s an annual tradition. :)

So let’s look at Arizona.

Coyotes have such intriguing stats:

Shot Attempt Differential (Corsi): 4th in NHL (+78)

Unblocked Shot Attempt Differential (Fenwick): 4th in NHL (+45)

Shots Against per game: 2nd in NHL (23.3)

Shots For per game: 5th in NHL (36.5)

Faceoff Percentage: 5th in NHL (53.3)

Goals Against per game: 4th in NHL (2.25)

Looks good, right? No...

Goals For per game: 31st in NHL (0.50)

What in the actual ****?

The performance indicators are there. The performance is not. Are they going to explode offensively soon or are we looking at a new kind of outlier?

We’ve all seen terrible players with great fancy stats. Are we about to see a whole team that fits that bill?

Chalk it up to bad luck. I for one anticipated two teams to make a huge push this year. The Carolina Hurricanes and the Arizona Coyotes. Canes have delivered as expected, I think Coyotes will deliver soon enough. Their team has too much talent to be doing this bad, specially with a fantastic goalie like Rantaa in net.

rt

May 13, 2004
I wouldn't brag about my shot differential if I played half games vs the Ducks
Who’s bragging? The Coyotes are awful. They outshot both the Stars and Sabres nearly 2:1, IIRC. They have no goals to show for either game. We’ve all seen games like this. But it’s been every game this season like this for Arizona. It’s strange.

Reactions: Roman Princ

rt

May 13, 2004
Score effects + bad forward depth.
Score effects is partially true. The Dallas and Buffalo offense really all game toward the middle of the game. Shot differential widened after that of course, but was well in AZ favor prior to that. The discrepancy has been amplified by the score for sure but it was already a trend, I think.

Bad depth is definitely true.

It’s obviously a small enough sample to get something like this. But I thought it notable nonetheless given the emphasis generally placed on these kinds of counting stats.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Just looking at the forwards on the team, the only guy who strikes me as an actual goal scorer / 60+ point player is Keller, maybe a sophomore slump?

Grabner is kind of random, he either scores 20+ or scores under 10 goals.

Stepan I guess is the other scorer but again he's kind of just a secondary guy good for a consistent 55ish points.

I would suspect there won't be much scoring done this season from the Coyotes but that's just strictly based off a quick look at the roster.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Honestly there was a Leafs team post Sundin that was like that. No talent played hard but couldn’t score. Every goalie looked like a Vezina candidate. I don’t know much about Arizona but odds are the shots are low scoring % shots and they don’t really have any snipers. When Strome and Galchenyuk (Injured). Are your best players you’re going to need to win a lot of 3-2 and 2-1 games.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Honestly, what I've seen from Arizona this year has been pretty good.

They just cant put the frikkin puck in to the net so far...

Reactions: iSophagus

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I've been told that Chayka is one of the best GM's in the league so I'm sure everything will be golden.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The Coyotes do have some good talent there (Keller's going to be great player IMO), be interesting to see if they can get it all together and score some goals this season and flirt with a playoff spot.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As someone who has always been critical of the way Corsi has been taken as a predictive tool in hockey, I think the case study of the Coyotes could be a good thing for the league in the long run.

Reactions: Rasmi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad