Post-Game Talk: Stuart skinned the Cats

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
It’s never happened before in the NHL.

A goalie has never been sent down to the AHL for a conditioning stint? Not sure what has never happened before.

It will send a chill across the league. Sends a message to prospective FAs, prospects and current players that the organization that we’re unwilling to support them through tough stretches.

How is giving Campbell some game time to work through his issues related to the Oilers being unwilling to support him?

Meritocracy is a two way street.

Yes. In a meritocracy Campbell would not have started against Carolina and would not start against the Kings.

Campbell needs to work out whatever is causing him to play so poorly. If he can't do it in Bako, when should the Oilers schedule their losses with Campbell starting?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
People have absolutely zero patience and prefer to fly off the handle before the team, and I mean the entire team, has really settled in at all.

This has happened at some point every season over the last three, and the ridiculous overdramatics and exaggerations never change despite the fact that they were shown to be completely unneccessary by the end of each of said seasons. The team will hit a groove like they always do, finish the season firmly in a playoff spot, and all of this overzealous freaking out will once again have been for nothing.

Then it will happen again next season. Feel free to bookmark for future reference.
Completely agree.

Last year in January, the Oilers lost to the Panthers 6-0. It was just before Tippett got fired. The team was 18-16-2, essentially .500, and the playoffs were looking like a challenge. Then Woodcroft came, then won a bunch in a row, but then dropped like 5 straight and people were right back to the edge again.

This team's PK and goaltending will likely improve throughout the season. Personally I think they could use a bottom pairing defeceman and a penalty killing forward like Archibald (who they shouldn't have let go) at the deadline.

We have a goaltender in Skinner who to my eyes looks like the most promising home grown talent this team has had in net since I don't even know when. We have the best player in the world, a number of young forwards still figuring it out, and a defence core that I believe will only get better.

There have been a lot of years of watching this team where they go into the season with promise, but you can tell almost immediately that they won't have it. I don't think this year is like that.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
A goalie has never been sent down to the AHL for a conditioning stint? Not sure what has never happened before.

How is giving Campbell some game time to work through his issues related to the Oilers being unwilling to support him?

Yes. In a meritocracy Campbell would not have started against Carolina and would not start against the Kings.

Campbell needs to work out whatever is causing him to play so poorly. If he can't do it in Bako, when should the Oilers schedule their losses with Campbell starting?
Doubling down on a bad idea hey? Conditioning stints for veterans are usually only to rehab injuries. I cannot think of a time when a team sent a healthy veteran goalie to the minors for a “conditioning” stint unless they were specifically trying to dump him.

Reactions: TB12

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Doubling down on a bad idea hey? Conditioning stints for veterans are usually only to rehab injuries. I cannot think of a time when a team sent a healthy veteran goalie to the minors for a “conditioning” stint unless they were specifically trying to dump him.

Sending Campbell to the minors is one of the worst ideas I've heard on here as of late.

What better way to help a guy lacking in confidence than waiving him a month into a long term deal for the vultures in the national media to feast on?

The common sense solution is to only start him maybe twice for the rest of the month (performance depending) and let him slowly rebuild his game in practice so that he is available as a competent option for the busy schedule in December. The approach of "keep giving him the normal amount of starts he'll work it out" didn't work, so this is the next option that won't put him on the front page of the national paper.

Last edited:

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
I think right now you have to reward Skinner’s play with more starts but keep working Campbell in and show some confidence in the guy even though he’s struggled in the early going. It’ll pay off down the line.

The Oilers have a really tough schedule upcoming. Really tough. Only five teams in the league have at least 20 points this season. The Oilers are playing four of them in their next four games. LA-VGS-NJ-NYI

Skinner deserves the LA game on Wednesday after his performance against the Panthers. Don't want to put Campbell out against second overall in the league Vegas.

So it's 11 days between starts for Campbell only to have him up against third overall New Jersey? Or do you wait 13 days between starts for Campbell to have him up against the fourth overall Islanders?

There is the practicality of getting Campbell ice time when the team needs to win games. The Oilers can't schedule extra losses.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The Oilers have a really tough schedule upcoming. Really tough. Only five teams in the league have at least 20 points this season. The Oilers are playing four of them in their next four games. LA-VGS-NJ-NYI

Skinner deserves the LA game on Wednesday after his performance against the Panthers. Don't want to put Campbell out against second overall in the league Vegas.

So it's 11 days between starts for Campbell only to have him up against third overall New Jersey? Or do you wait 13 days between starts for Campbell to have him up against the fourth overall Islanders?

There is the practicality of getting Campbell ice time when the team needs to win games. The Oilers can't schedule extra losses.
Only losers cry about the schedule, every game is tough and the way to build consistency is by bringing the same effort against every opponent. In todays league unless you have an absolutely elite goaltender you’re going to have to rely on both guys throughout the year and both guys will have to play against tough teams at some point. Showing faith in Campbell now will pay dividends later on in the year.

What’s your plan? Feed Skinner to the wolves and run him into the ground? Call up career AHL’er/back up Pickard and toss him in there to get dummied? Campbell will improve and the goaltending unit will be better for it. Putting him on the shelf for an extended time or even worse sending him to the AHL is the dumbest thing they could do.

Reactions: ujju2 and BudBundy

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
What’s your plan? Feed Skinner to the wolves and run him into the ground? Call up career AHL’er/back up Pickard and toss him in there to get dummied?

My plan is send Campbell to Bako for two games this week. Have him back to back up Skinner on Saturday night. Pickard has to backup the Wednesday game.

Why not get Campbell some game action?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Uh pretty sure Campbell earned the start in Carolina because he was great in the Tampa game.

Reactions: ujju2

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
My plan is send Campbell to Bako for two games this week. Have him back to back up Skinner on Saturday night. Pickard has to backup the Wednesday game.

Why not get Campbell some game action?
Oh, I don’t know. Because of the reasons myself and other posters have mentioned? Or get him some practice time in the bigs with his goaltending coach? Like what NHL teams do?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Completely agree.

Last year in January, the Oilers lost to the Panthers 6-0. It was just before Tippett got fired. The team was 18-16-2, essentially .500, and the playoffs were looking like a challenge. Then Woodcroft came, then won a bunch in a row, but then dropped like 5 straight and people were right back to the edge again.

This team's PK and goaltending will likely improve throughout the season. Personally I think they could use a bottom pairing defeceman and a penalty killing forward like Archibald (who they shouldn't have let go) at the deadline.

We have a goaltender in Skinner who to my eyes looks like the most promising home grown talent this team has had in net since I don't even know when. We have the best player in the world, a number of young forwards still figuring it out, and a defence core that I believe will only get better.

There have been a lot of years of watching this team where they go into the season with promise, but you can tell almost immediately that they won't have it. I don't think this year is like that.
They need better fourth liners than Archibald.

RNH had a better gf% on the PK last year than Archibald had at 5on5.

He sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: ujju2 and McAsuno

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Oh, I don’t know. Because of the reasons myself and other posters have mentioned?

The only reason you gave was "it just isn't done".

That sticking to the way it is done in hockey is a strong, logical defence of your position. Good work.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The only reason you gave was "it just isn't done".

That sticking to the way it is done in hockey is a strong, logical defence of your position. Good work.
It’s also, the way it’s done. You’ve done nothing to provide examples or solid reasoning.

Good work.

Reactions: BudBundy

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Are they even allowed to try send him on a conditioning stint? Especially considering he's playing regularly?

On top of that pretty sure the player has to accept it. Highly doubt Campbell is going to accept.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
It’s also, the way it’s done. You’ve done nothing to provide examples or solid reasoning.

I get the cool kids gotta stick up for each other. You told me the way it is done, plus added an insult.

Quit lying about my posts. I'll just repeat my solid reasoning. Can't been any weaker than your mean girls routine at this point.

Campbell needs reps. The Oilers need wins. We are in the midst of a two game in seven day stretch. Skinner has earned the net tomorrow night. Campbell could get two games this week. The Oilers start Skinner in two important games against division foes ahead of them in the Pacific.

Instead it's *derp* *derp* that's how it should be done because that's how it is done *derp* *derp*. Good for you.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Are they even allowed to try send him on a conditioning stint? Especially considering he's playing regularly?

On top of that pretty sure the player has to accept it. Highly doubt Campbell is going to accept.

Campbell doesn't have a no movement clause. A team could claim him if the Oilers tried to send him down. Don't know if that would be a realistic concern.

The Oilers could send Campbell down if they chose to. Per the terms of his contract Campbell doesn't have to accept it for the Oilers to do it. He could sit out if he wants. I don't think the Oilers would force it and suspect they had the conversation with Campbell. Everybody knows Campbell's play is beyond terrible right now.

Which games should the Oilers accept as scheduled losses so Campbell can get starts in the NHL?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I get the cool kids gotta stick up for each other. You told me the way it is done, plus added an insult.

Quit lying about my posts. I'll just repeat my solid reasoning. Can't been any weaker than your mean girls routine at this point.

Campbell needs reps. The Oilers need wins. We are in the midst of a two game in seven day stretch. Skinner has earned the net tomorrow night. Campbell could get two games this week. The Oilers start Skinner in two important games against division foes ahead of them in the Pacific.

Instead it's *derp* *derp* that's how it should be done because that's how it is done *derp* *derp*. Good for you.

You have no grounds to insult other posters when you are pimping a cockamamie "solution" to finding Campbell's game that is literally unprecedented in the NHL and ridiculous for a variety of reasons that have been pointed out to you ad nauseum.

Take a pill.

Reactions: BudBundy and ujju2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Campbell doesn't have a no movement clause. A team could claim him if the Oilers tried to send him down. Don't know if that would be a realistic concern.

The Oilers could send Campbell down if they chose to. Per the terms of his contract Campbell doesn't have to accept it for the Oilers to do it. He could sit out if he wants. I don't think the Oilers would force it and suspect they had the conversation with Campbell. Everybody knows Campbell's play is beyond terrible right now.

Which games should the Oilers accept as scheduled losses so Campbell can get starts in the NHL?
Oh boy. You want to outright waive a guy one month into the season after signing a 5 year deal.

That's going to go over well

Reactions: BudBundy and ujju2

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

What you suggest in regard to Campbell is simply not going to happen.

Reactions: BudBundy

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
You have no grounds to insult other posters when you are pimping a cockamamie "solution" to finding Campbell's game that is literally unprecedented in the NHL and ridiculous for a variety of reasons that have been pointed out to you ad nauseum.

I didn't insult anybody.

There has been one reason provided. "It just isn't done." That isn't a variety. That is one reason.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Oh boy. You want to outright waive a guy one month into the season after signing a 5 year deal.

That's going to go over well

To go down and get a few games in the AHL to work out kinks in his game that he called pathetic.

What you suggest in regard to Campbell is simply not going to happen.

You're probably right.

You must be selectively reading then.

So instead of providing any other reason for not sending Campbell down you accuse me of "selectively reading"?

At least you aren't falsely accusing me of insulting people. So there is that.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
To go down and get a few games in the AHL to work out kinks in his game that he called pathetic.

You're probably right.

So instead of providing any other reason for not sending Campbell down you accuse me of "selectively reading"?

At least you aren't falsely accusing me of insulting people. So there is that.

I replied in detail yesterday. Which you ignored.

So yes, selectively reading.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad