Post-Game Talk: Stuart skinned the Cats

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Should you really be throwing these comments out, when you do the exact same about Yamamoto?
It’s a forum so yeah I think I can especially since I’ve waited enough time to see if Yamamoto will pick it up this year and he hasn’t. So I’ve lost hope in him too. He’s been shit. But I hope this injury is the reason he’s been garbage and not actually him skill wise and play wise

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It’s a forum so yeah I think I can especially since I’ve waited enough time to see if Yamamoto will pick it up this year and he hasn’t. So I’ve lost hope in him too. He’s been shit. But I hope this injury is the reason he’s been garbage and not actually him skill wise and play wise
The thing with Yamamoto is, that this is his trend.

He does nothing for 80% of the season and goes on a heater for a month and everyone thinks hes figured it out.

Besides 2 hot stretches, hes been an absolute nothing player.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Campbell doesn’t have a track record as a starter. A single season where he was good for a couple months but has been awful for almost a full calender year isn’t a good.

Campbell has a track record as an above average to good backup. That’s it.

Koskinen was 27-12-4
Campbell was 31-9-6
Not a massive difference but I guess Koskinen was good?

For most of last year Toronto was winning in spite of Campbell not because of him. Just like most of our wins with Kostco
Koskinen has never had a 10 game streak as bad as Campbell just had. That’s not good in anyway shape or form
Oh, I agree he hasn’t been good and never said he has been, but I’m not panicking.

Reactions: foshizzle and TB12

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
The hyperbole about “the sky is falling” this early in the season is overly dramatic so pass judgement on others, thanks.

You can't even refrain from exaggeration in defending your exaggeration. Quit making indefensible statements and you won't have this trouble.

Campbell’s cap hit is entirely reasonable. We didn’t sign him to a Carey Price deal, to watch him disintegrate. And let’s be honest here, if Holland didn’t sign Campbell there would have been howls from everywhere. He was the best available tender this summer, by far. If he’s still struggling in December, I’ll worry. He looks calm in the net, not all over the place like Koskinen and I think he will regress back to a better mean.

The idea of taking your presumptive starter and sending him down to Bako for “conditioning” is asinine. Barring rehab from injury, no team does that. How would Campbell feel about that and what good would it do?! Give Skinner a few consecutive starts and let Campbell work out his kinks in practice. But send him down? C’mon.

Campbell's cap hit is not reasonable for his performance.

If Holland hadn't signed Campbell so much would have depended on what he did.

Your defense of Campbell is asinine.

How would Campbell feel about being sent down? Here is how Campbell should feel. He should understand he is getting paid more than the Oilers have ever paid a goalie and just gone through the third worst ten game stretch for an Oilers goalie ever. Skinner has earned the NHL net and sending Campbell to Bako gets him playing time.

Reactions: foshizzle

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
When a guy has never been a starter and he sucks, you can safely say he sucks. When a guy has a track record you should give him a bit more time, pissed off or not.
What track record? Last year was the first time he ever played even a half season and he played well for a few months then had among the worst save percentage in the NHL in the second half.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
He hasn’t played well enough, but he’s 10 games into his Oilers career. Why are so many people shoveling dirt onto his casket already? There is a lot of runway left and the sweeping statements around here (I’m not picking on you per se, just your post was the convenient one to jump in on) are premature.
Agree. These 10 games have the Oilers playing terrible defensively…playing sub-par on the PK…..limited / inconsistent offensively…..and a PP with struggling numbers. That environment doesn’t support good goal tending, especially when a new tender can’t have confidence in the systems and execution by players. Just read the GDTs from previous games to see specific problems.
This will take time and needs adjusting….we’re lucky to have Skinner to carry us while we address those issues.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
You can't even refrain from exaggeration in defending your exaggeration. Quit making indefensible statements and you won't have this trouble.

How would Campbell feel about being sent down? Here is how Campbell should feel. He should understand he is getting paid more than the Oilers have ever paid a goalie and just gone through the third worst ten game stretch for an Oilers goalie ever. Skinner has earned the NHL net and sending Campbell to Bako gets him playing time.
Campbell has underperformed but his cap hit is perfectly in line with his resume. Again, if Holland went into the season without a guy who had been a starter, the pitchforks and torches would be out and you know it.

Sending Campbell to Bakersfield is a bush league move an NHL team cannot make. That would simply ruin the relationship between the goalie and the team. I’m amazed you even consider it an option.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
Foegele is really starting to pick up his game, huge with kane out and poolparty/yams non factors in offense.

How was tysons second goal unnassisted? no point for the faceoff guy?

Second Barrie goal shows unassisted at nhl.com but it looks like McDavid passes him the puck.

Am I missing something?

I thought so too

Missed most of the action because sportsnet... but looking at the replay a few times, I think a Panthers player ended up kicking it back out to Barrie? Not too sure though

I just thought there could have been an assist on the second Barrie goal

Should be 33 since he should've gotten an assist on one of the Barrie goals.

Looks like Gudas pushed the puck to Barrie off the faceoff

Not that it's ever stopped the NHL from handing out extra assists off faceoffs before, but they didn't this time.

that they are incompetent fools?

I often get pissed when McDavid gets robbed of assists.
So I grabbed the video and (did a horrible job and) made a video with some slow motion and reverse replay. Unfortunately, I think I have to agree with those losers at NHL who are so anal about it.

Looks like McDavid did win the faceoff initially (black tape on stick). It does go off the Panthers player's skate ( @Tarus said it's Gudas?) and back to Barrie. If it was just that, they should probably give the assist to McDavid.
But, between going off McDavid's stick and Gudas' skate, it looks like the other stick (white tape) changes it's direction and hit's it towards Gudas' skate.
So not just a deflection, but after McDavid touches it, the Panthers' center shoots it, then off of Gudas' skate, then to Barrie.

Right?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I mean we flamed players like Jason Labarbera and Jonas Monster within 5 games too b/c they were solo losing us games and those guys were only 1 year <1 million dollar backups on rebuilding teams. Campbell is playing even worse than those two and is signed for 5 years 5 million on a team looking to become a contender. People are understandably pissed.
People have absolutely zero patience and prefer to fly off the handle before the team, and I mean the entire team, has really settled in at all.

This has happened at some point every season over the last three, and the ridiculous overdramatics and exaggerations never change despite the fact that they were shown to be completely unneccessary by the end of each of said seasons. The team will hit a groove like they always do, finish the season firmly in a playoff spot, and all of this overzealous freaking out will once again have been for nothing.

Then it will happen again next season. Feel free to bookmark for future reference.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
People have absolutely zero patience and prefer to fly off the handle before the team, and I mean the entire team, has really settled in at all.

This has happened at some point every season over the last three, and the ridiculous overdramatics and exaggerations never change despite the fact that they were shown to be completely unneccessary by the end of each of said seasons. The team will hit a groove like they always do, finish the season firmly in a playoff spot, and all of this overzealous freaking out will once again have been for nothing.

Then it will happen again next season. Feel free to bookmark for future reference.
👏 👏 👏 👏

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Watched this game last night (Japan time). Very nice win!

Yeah, the first 10 minutes were sort of "asleep at the wheel" offensively, but I never really felt that the Oilers were in grave danger (unlike most other games' first 10 min. this season). Florida didn't really get a lot of quality chances, and Skinner was his usual, solid self.

The final 50 minutes, the Oilers were the better team for sure. Florida had quite a tough time getting over the Oilers' blue line in any advantageous position (how long has it been since I could write that...??).

As everyone has probably noted, it's always refreshing when they win a big one and McDrai isn't a huge factor (a factor, but not a huge one).

Tyson Barrie was a total stud and deserves some props. Shame on all of you calling for him to be traded in the off-season. The guy might be the best PP quarterback in the NHL, and he won this game. (He also won game six vs. L.A. last spring, which everyone conveniently forgot.)

I'm sad to see Yamamoto sitting, but he really wasn't bringing it. I don't know what's up with him. Wonderful 19-20 half season, poor 2021 season, great latter half to 21-22, crap 22-23 season so far. He had a unique skill-set which is nice, and he's had more than enough opportunities with the top players, but he just has no finish at all.

Puljujarvi isn't much better. At this point, I just laugh when McDavid sets him up for chances because you just know he isn't going to score. On a team that can score, with a (modest) winning record, Puljujarvi is currently pacing for a 5 goal, -30 season. Since New Year's Eve, he has scored 5 goals on 109 shots for a wretched 4.6% shooting. (And at least two of those five, including this season's goal, were deflections that hit him and went in.) He may now be the single worst shooter among NHL forwards (taking the crown from Milan Lucic). To pile on him, he was also brutal on the 2nd Panthers' goal when he didn't recognize the Dman already had the guy and he let the forward walk in to the net, freely (and score).

Foegele has temporarily redeemed himself. Let him play with Drai, I guess, until he goes back into the crapper. For now, he looks good. Give him credit: He worked for his chance to get promoted, got promoted, and took advantage.

The defence looked better with Murray out. Kostin looked fine.

McLeod is already a good player but needs to shoot more quickly. He speeds into great positions but then doesn't shoot fast enough.

Reactions: Biltmore

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I often get pissed when McDavid gets robbed of assists.
So I grabbed the video and (did a horrible job and) made a video with some slow motion and reverse replay. Unfortunately, I think I have to agree with those losers at NHL who are so anal about it.

Looks like McDavid did win the faceoff initially (black tape on stick). It does go off the Panthers player's skate ( @Tarus said it's Gudas?) and back to Barrie. If it was just that, they should probably give the assist to McDavid.
But, between going off McDavid's stick and Gudas' skate, it looks like the other stick (white tape) changes it's direction and hit's it towards Gudas' skate.
So not just a deflection, but after McDavid touches it, the Panthers' center shoots it, then off of Gudas' skate, then to Barrie.

Right?

There were multiple times last year where McDavid and/or Draisaitl were robbed of assists. I counted games where McDavid lost about 2 assists and Draisaitl about 4 or 5. But I think Connor will be OK by the end of the season.

Reactions: SnooPac

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The thing with Yamamoto is, that this is his trend.

He does nothing for 80% of the season and goes on a heater for a month and everyone thinks hes figured it out.

Besides 2 hot stretches, hes been an absolute nothing player.
except one of the biggest factors in inconsistency is youth, and so we can't assume any pattern with him will stay the same. At 24 that excuse is wearing thin on Yamamoto, but the hope still is that he puts it all together. I wonder if it's minor injuries. Still, the league has examples of teams moving on from young players only for them to find consistence somewhere else. We have an example of one in Ceci.

There's no great reason to move on from Yamamoto or Puljujarvi. It's not like we have some great option. As long as we are winning enough to keep pace with playoff teams, giving more time on our project wingers makes sense to me.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Here’s what I think. You’re whole idea of sending Campbell down the minors is bad.

It’s never happened before in the NHL.

It will send a chill across the league. Sends a message to prospective FAs, prospects and current players that the organization that we’re unwilling to support them through tough stretches.

Meritocracy is a two way street.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It’s because people are looking to credit him for the smallest things. Oh look, Puljujarvi had a good angle there. Did you see that play where JP had his stick in the right position? It’s pretty weak stuff tbh.
Let's not pretend like the opposite isn't true too. Every time he bobbles the puck, there's 15 posts yelling to send him to the AHL lol.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
He's been a solid bottom six NHLer for a while.

It's a complete shame that the Oilers are so close to the cap that a guy like Shore is an everyday roster player over him.

Doesn’t Shore make the same amount as Janmark? Didn’t they choose Shore over Janmark?

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah Shore is sitting at 850,000 which let him fit under the cap where Janmark couldn't.

Based on what I've seen there's no way he belonged in the AHL. Can't imagine he's pleased with the Oilers front office but he's contributing on ice.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah Shore is sitting at 850,000 which let him fit under the cap where Janmark couldn't.

Based on what I've seen there's no way he belonged in the AHL. Can't imagine he's pleased with the Oilers front office but he's contributing on ice.

I just hope it doesnt cause Janmark to be disgruntled. I doubt he signed here to be sent to the AHL to start the year.

Other posters blame Holland more than myself. But he should of traded one of the 3 million dollar men (or not signed) in the offseason.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This is a gripe I have with SN. They want to prolong advertisement time so much that it cuts into the non-hockey commentary, which then sequentially cuts into showing/commentating on the faceoff & immediate play after. It's happened far too many times to count.

I've despised these stupid segments forever. They've been ongoing since the dawn of Sportsnet.

It's never, ever anything of value either. It's just some useless human interest story from Gene that takes way too long and are needless. Drives me mental when I can hear the play in the background as he drops his finishing pun about the preferred flavour of ice cream for fans that travelled to the game that day or something dumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: saucesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad