Stuart Percy 2013/2014 Season

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Percy projects to a similar player as Carl Gunnarsson if he continues to develop, and could one day be his replacement.

Percy has had previous concussion concerns and those don't go away, so that will always be a potential factor in the final outcome.

Gunnar is the lowest expectation I have of Percy, and I say that as one of Gunnar's first admirers here when I first joined HF boards. I have realistic hopes he can do better.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
416Leafer said:
Hockey IQ I think is the most important attribute for a defenceman. I think it's what separates the true franchise defencemen from the rest. You can be a franchise defenceman without being the fastest skater or without having the best shot. But they all seem to have high hockey IQ.

If you were to say what separates Phaneuf from being Weber? What would you say it is? I would say it's Hockey IQ. They're both physical minute munching all-situation Dmen with big shots and decent puck skills. But Weber is much better at reading plays, decision making, and positional play.

I like Percy. His offensive upside is questionable, but while I don't think he'll ever be a 50+ point defenceman, I don't think something like ~35-40 is out of the question. Next year will be great for him, he should get a ton of minutes, play in all situations, and learn what it takes to be a pro. He's looked really good so far at the AHL level, both this year and last.

I agree, and this is what is holding Phaneuf back from being a top 10 defenseman in the NHL.

Last edited:

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Percy's overall defensive awareness is better than gunnersons. I watched the kid a ton with the majors/steelheads and he is rarely out of position. Best way to describe him is efficient. Would seem to be a perfect complement to a Gardnier or Riley.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
You couldn't get a consensus out of professional scouts, as to what all "hockey sense" and "hockey IQ" are, as everyone considers different elements and traits important to its composition.

Based on that idea, you're not going to get a concrete answer here. You may get "how he thinks/reads the game", or "the ability to slow the game down", but those are very general, blanket descriptions of a number of different things that make up hockey IQ to any given evaluator.

That's why when average HFBoard Joe knock's a kid's hockey sense, they're usually either parroting, or talking out the south end :laugh:

If I may suggest a good read, "The Art of Scouting", which I picked up on Amazon for $17, was a pretty good read, for the average person looking to understand not only the lives scouts live, but some of what they look for as talent evaluators.

My definition of hockey IQ is pretty simple, it's really just a measure of how smart of a player you are. It's about making the correct play at the correct time. It's knowing when to pinch or when to make the safe play. It's knowing who to hit with the outlet pass to create offensive chances, or knowing when to shoot the puck and when not to.

I don't think you can be tought hockey sense or significantly improve your hockey IQ. It's a natural instinct which most hockey players don't have. Guys like Lidstrom, Datsyuk, the Sedins, etc. have it, and it's a major reason why they are up there with the best players in NHL history.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Percy's overall defensive awareness is better than gunnersons. I watched the kid a ton with the majors/steelheads and he is rarely out of position. Best way to describe him is efficient. Would seem to be a perfect complement to a Gardnier or Riley.

I'll take your post seriously when you learn to spell the poor guys name. Its Gunnarsson.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Ha, touché. I should have known that. Seen the name on the back of his sweater a ton while opposing team player is tapping home a loose puck.

I'll take your post seriously when you learn to spell the poor guys name. Its Gunnarsson.

Last edited:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Percy has one very big weakness. Its going to become that much bigger in the NHL. Percy is SOFT. He is not excellent at anything, just good at most things. I wish Toronto selected Tomas Jurco at that spot. Percy is a 3rd pairing defenseman at best. Already suffered a major concussion too. That wont help him become more tenacious. I think his skating at an NHL level is also questionable. Especially his start. I think Matt Finn will be better.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Percy has one very big weakness. Its going to become that much bigger in the NHL. Percy is SOFT. He is not excellent at anything, just good at most things. I wish Toronto selected Tomas Jurco at that spot. Percy is a 3rd pairing defenseman at best. Already suffered a major concussion too. That wont help him become more tenacious. I think his skating at an NHL level is also questionable. Especially his start. I think Matt Finn will be better.

I wouldn't label him as soft, he plays a heady game, a soft player is afraid to play in rough games.

Leafs great Borje Salming was not soft because he wasn't physical, it's a mindset, he made his reputation playing the Flyers in the 70's series where they called him chicken Swede.

Here's Percy against one of the toughest players in the OHL Tom Wilson, goes after him for a hit thrown on a teammate. This is not a soft play at all.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't label him as soft, he plays a heady game, a soft player is afraid to play in rough games.

Leafs great Borje Salming was not soft because he wasn't physical, it's a mindset, he made his reputation playing the Flyers in the 70's series where they called him chicken Swede.

Here's Percy against one of the toughest players in the OHL Tom Wilson, goes after him for a hit thrown on a teammate. This is not a soft play at all.

I agree with u there. Id like to see more of that from him. Those types of plays, shows leadership, team unity, character. Love seeing team-mates stand up for one another. Even more impressive when he fights out of his weight class with a big boy in Wilson. With all due respect to Percy, Id avoid the fighting in the future. Its not his strong point. What he did, showed courage and inspires team-mates I get that. Just be tougher in the corners, tough to play against, shift after shift.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree with u there. Id like to see more of that from him. Those types of plays, shows leadership, team unity, character. Love seeing team-mates stand up for one another. Even more impressive when he fights out of his weight class with a big boy in Wilson. With all due respect to Percy, Id avoid the fighting in the future. Its not his strong point. What he did, showed courage and inspires team-mates I get that. Just be tougher in the corners, tough to play against, shift after shift.

That's the most impressive part of that play, he knew it was Wilson, but he stood in and didn't disgrace himself against one of the toughest players if not the toughest in the OHL last year. Love his leadership and selflessness there.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

There is nothing wrong with the odd fight here and there.

Completely agree on being a tougher player overall though.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Can you show how these 2 prospects stack up, strengths, weaknesses, then explain why you think Finn is better?

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
No speed, no NHL, speed kills, lack of speed kills you no matter how smart you are.

If he already has a head for hockey he should go directly to the NHL, if he can't keep up with the play he should never play for my Leafs.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
No speed, no NHL, speed kills, lack of speed kills you no matter how smart you are.

If he already has a head for hockey he should go directly to the NHL, if he can't keep up with the play he should never play for my Leafs.

Yup throw all 18 year olds on to the leafs. If they can't keep up, dump them for 7th rounders

Good plan :handclap:

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
On the hockey IQ front, Percy's a 9/10, Blacker's a 5/10

Not comparable and this is what separates the 2 by a wide margin. Also think Percy has more offence than Blacker.

Percy will never be a flashy skater, stickhandler, or any of the things Rielly or Gardiner are, but he will be just as valuable as a steadying influence on the backline for us.

Like all our prospects, patience is the key.

Percy is jack of all trades, master of none? (in a good way)

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Yup throw all 18 year olds on to the leafs. If they can't keep up, dump them for 7th rounders

Good plan :handclap:

I believe he's 20 and everyone here has told us in no uncertain terms he already has the smarts and is never out of position. I assume all the endorsers have watched Percy extensively and know from personal experience how good this fellow is so he has to be an automatic Leaf.

Percy would be wasted on the Marlies learning how to play with AHL players who in no way, shape or form are NHL players or they would be NHL players. According to the Leaf brain trust Holzer was NHL ready but they based their conclusion on his ability to succeed in the AHL, I think most Leaf fans would argue with the Leafs about his NHL suitability basically because of his speed and IQ.

Percy will never be NHL ready until he has NHL speed no matter how high his IQ. Until he has the speed I don't ever want to see him on the Leafs.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Say what you want about gunnar, he still ended up turning out pretty good considering how late he got drafted.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
wow i just looked at all the last round picks we made in the last 5 years of drafting, they picked loov, komarov, gunnar and nicholls lol not bad

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Percy should crack the lineup at some point. Gunner is solid needs surgery and hopefully Ranger signs.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I believe he's 20 and everyone here has told us in no uncertain terms he already has the smarts and is never out of position. I assume all the endorsers have watched Percy extensively and know from personal experience how good this fellow is so he has to be an automatic Leaf.

Well that escalated quickly.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Percy would be wasted on the Marlies learning how to play with AHL players who in no way, shape or form are NHL players or they would be NHL players. According to the Leaf brain trust Holzer was NHL ready but they based their conclusion on his ability to succeed in the AHL, I think most Leaf fans would argue with the Leafs about his NHL suitability basically because of his speed and IQ.

Percy will never be NHL ready until he has NHL speed no matter how high his IQ. Until he has the speed I don't ever want to see him on the Leafs.

Leafs management doesn't give a **** what you want.

When Percy is ready he will be in the line up. It may be sooner than you think

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Here is a guideline, by USA Hockey, that shows how we teach hockey sense. An yes, it IS a teachable, and coachable trait.

http://www.usahockey.com/uploadedFi.../Menu_ACE_Materials/Teaching Hockey Sense.ppt

Again, read Chapter 7 of "The Art of Scouting", where professional and amateur scouts DO NOT agree on definitive traits or set guidelines to define what the term means.

"Ice Q", when you understand what "Intelligence Quotient" means, is a term coined by Craig Button, that actually makes zero sense, in a literal form. Hockey IQ or hockey sense actually make sense.

But there are some who can't make change out of common sense... If ya hear me knockin'.

Censored23

May 20, 2011
Definitely looking forward to Gunnarsson, Percy, and Finn on the back end, along with Gardiner, Rielly, and Phaneuf. A good mix of 2-way D men, and offense. Probably take a few years, but there's no rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad