Height 6.01 -- Weight 193 -- Shoots L

2009-10 Mississauga St. Michael's Majors OHL 52 3 15
2010-11 Mississauga St. Michael's Majors OHL 64 4 29
2011-12 Toronto Marlies AHL 1 0 1 1 0 0
2011-12 Mississauga St. Michael's Majors OHL 34 5 20
2012-13 Mississauga Steelheads OHL 68 13 32 45
2012-13 Toronto Marlies AHL 4 1 2 3 2 -1

Talent Analysis

Percy possesses all-round capability, and is very calm under pressure situations. He moves the puck efficiently out of the defensive zone and has untapped offensive potential – although he is unlikely to develop into a premiere offensive defender. His focus over the next few seasons will be developing all-round strength (specifically leg strength) to compete for a spot at the pro level.

Future

Percy will play in the OHL for the Mississauga Steelheads in the 2012-13 season.

Projection: Second-pairing, two-way defender.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Percy will play in the AHL.

This man could have a lot more offensive potential than people give him credit for.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I kind of wonder how Percy compares to Blacker at the same age. They had similar jr careers, although Percy was percieved to have higher upside.

Blacker has been a bit of a disappointment so far... he hasn't really made the strides needed to jump into the NHL.

Percy's got the IQ going for him which is great.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I kind of wonder how Percy compares to Blacker at the same age. They had similar jr careers, although Percy was percieved to have higher upside.

Blacker has been a bit of a disappointment so far... he hasn't really made the strides needed to jump into the NHL.

Percy's got the IQ going for him which is great.

Completely different strengths and weaknesses.

Blacker had all the raw tools. Good speed, size, physical, puck skills, but low iq.

Percy has a much higher IQ, which I think ultimately will be his ticket to the NHL. Percy in his few games has looked much better in the AHL than Blacker.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I like percy, but i worry about his lack of footspeed. that would be te one thing that might keep him out of the nhl.

otherwise he's got great hockey iq offensively and defesively, an has a solid allaroundskillset including underrated offensiveskills.

for whateer it's worth, he also seems to filled up with intangibles like leadership, fearlessness, etc.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sure everyone is expecting that next season he will start in the AHL. Now could he do what Jake Gardiner did and start the season with the Leafs when no one saw that coming, I guess anything is possible. However I'm not expecting that to happen.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Completely different strengths and weaknesses.

Blacker had all the raw tools. Good speed, size, physical, puck skills, but low iq.

Percy has a much higher IQ, which I think ultimately will be his ticket to the NHL. Percy in his few games has looked much better in the AHL than Blacker.

If so then why Percy didn't dress up for the Marlies playoffs. What happened to the supposed accountability which is not the same as senority.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If so then why Percy didn't dress up for the Marlies playoffs. What happened to the supposed accountability which is not the same as senority.

Its tough to put a guy in the line-up that isn't up to the speed of a game and has to learn a lot. The reason that Rielly found his way into the playoffs is because he has the speed to make up for any shortcomings that he may have in the defensive zone. Much like how Gardiner looked with the Leafs.

Stuart Percy is going to be a smart defenceman, but like mentioned in this post should play a couple years in the AHL to truly refine his skills.

I relate Percy a lot to the path that Karl Alzner has taken to the NHL because I feel that they are both similar defencemen. Alzner was a captain with the Hitmen when they took a run to the Mem. Cup and didn't put up huge numbers (very respectable for an all around defenceman) but played such a sound game and in different roles. Don't be surprised if Percy spends 2 years in the AHL.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Blacker doesn't have a low IQ at all. His hockey sense doesn't stand out as a strength, but it's by no means second rate.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
On the hockey IQ front, Percy's a 9/10, Blacker's a 5/10

Not comparable and this is what separates the 2 by a wide margin. Also think Percy has more offence than Blacker.

Percy will never be a flashy skater, stickhandler, or any of the things Rielly or Gardiner are, but he will be just as valuable as a steadying influence on the backline for us.

Like all our prospects, patience is the key.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Hockey IQ I think is the most important attribute for a defenceman. I think it's what separates the true franchise defencemen from the rest. You can be a franchise defenceman without being the fastest skater or without having the best shot. But they all seem to have high hockey IQ.

If you were to say what separates Phaneuf from being Weber? What would you say it is? I would say it's Hockey IQ. They're both physical minute munching all-situation Dmen with big shots and decent puck skills. But Weber is much better at reading plays, decision making, and positional play.

I like Percy. His offensive upside is questionable, but while I don't think he'll ever be a 50+ point defenceman, I don't think something like ~35-40 is out of the question. Next year will be great for him, he should get a ton of minutes, play in all situations, and learn what it takes to be a pro. He's looked really good so far at the AHL level, both this year and last.

LeafsFIO*

I really like Carlyle's defensive systems, but it's nothing compared to the system employed by Mississauga. Percy was so great in the OHL this year because he was able to buy into a great system. Not saying he won't be good under Carlyle, but it's going to take a lot of adjusting.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Okay, here I am playing my "Daisy Doesn't Understand Lingo" card. Please don't mock me too badly.

Hockey IQ? Like are you saying Percy [and retrospect Blacker] can't read the ice properly? like Kostka, and can't think "fast" and make stupid plays or something?

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Who's better? Percy or Finn? Which is more likely to be an NHLer?

Hard to say at this point. Finn was set back this year.

To answer the OP, Percy is definitely going to be in the AHL this year, though stranger things have happened.

I just can't see it happening due to the depth we have with Left handed D-men.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Okay, here I am playing my "Daisy Doesn't Understand Lingo" card. Please don't mock me too badly.

Hockey IQ? Like are you saying Percy [and retrospect Blacker] can't read the ice properly? like Kostka, and can't think "fast" and make stupid plays or something?

You couldn't get a consensus out of professional scouts, as to what all "hockey sense" and "hockey IQ" are, as everyone considers different elements and traits important to its composition.

Based on that idea, you're not going to get a concrete answer here. You may get "how he thinks/reads the game", or "the ability to slow the game down", but those are very general, blanket descriptions of a number of different things that make up hockey IQ to any given evaluator.

That's why when average HFBoard Joe knock's a kid's hockey sense, they're usually either parroting, or talking out the south end :laugh:

If I may suggest a good read, "The Art of Scouting", which I picked up on Amazon for $17, was a pretty good read, for the average person looking to understand not only the lives scouts live, but some of what they look for as talent evaluators.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Hockey IQ is not nearly as complicated as it is made out to be, scouts simply call this Ice Q to use a hockey vernacular.

Is the player a smart player on the ice, some posters have questioned Phaneuf as a low IQ player mostly due to his decision making ie. pinches and reads. Grabo playing in a tunnel getting very little out of his game, some would consider this a low iQ player.

Gunnarson on the otherhand would be considered a good IQ player, for his good decisions on the ice.

Really it's just having a good head for the game.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Honestly I thought Percy played better than any other Marlie Dman.

I guess Eakins did not want to play a rookie Dman in the playoffs with so few games under his belt.

Reilly is on another level talent wise, which is why he was used in the playoffs.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I think if he can work on his mobility and foot speed he can be a very good player for us, and hell, maybe even surprise out of camp. I don't see that being likely, and he'll probably be on a pairing with Blacker to start the season next year, but he is definitely a guy I like going forward.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's a small sample, but Percy in his 4 games with the Marlies had 3 points. A good indication he may have some sneakly offensive ability that is untapped.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Percy projects to a similar player as Carl Gunnarsson if he continues to develop, and could one day be his replacement.

Percy has had previous concussion concerns and those don't go away, so that will always be a potential factor in the final outcome.

SkyDome

May 17, 2013
Pickering, ON
I'm a big fan of Percy. He's a player that is rarely out of position and plays the game smart. He needs a bit more time in the AHL before he becomes a regular in the NHL. But somehow I feel like he's not far at all from being an NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad