Stu Grimson taking over TV Color analyst role from Terry Crisp

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't think that anyone has said they are upset that Terry is out. It is just that not many people like Stu as an announcer . Personally I don't think they could have found a worse announcer to replace Terry. Heck, Mark Howard would have been a better replacement. Stu just takes so long to get his point across.
You lost me at Mark Howard.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Do not like the choice at all. Grimson is horrid to listen to and always messes up and starts seizing up and then utters "sorry". Listen to him. He says sorry so many times a game. So frustrating. grrr

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
All I can say is I wish Callahan was still around. He was solid. Love his talk radio show at night. Would've been a great play by play guy for us. Not a fan of Grimsom. His cadence is too slow for a fast paced game like hockey.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Surprised that there is this much concern about it. Know zilch about Grimson as a color guy (liked him as a player - honorable enforcer) but I have never, ever watched a hockey game or not watched a hockey game because of the announcer or the color guy. All that being said, I kind of like all the new faces. If it was to be done, now was a good time.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
He's gonna' be the color guy, not the PBP guy. Yes, he takes a long-time to get to his point - he'll learn to shorten it up. However, a Preds fan comparing Grimson to Crisp (paired with Pete, no less) and complaining about taking a long-time to get to the point?????? Crispy might be a bit quicker, I suppose, but his "accuracy" has been off for a while now.... Grimson's got pretty good insight - I like that they're giving him a chance.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
People are worried about Grimson? Relax, we could have the Columbus broadcasting crew.

Haha this is my all time favorite from the Columbus crew:
"Wilson...WHAT A STOP!......No....that puck went in the net..."

He's gonna' be the color guy, not the PBP guy. Yes, he takes a long-time to get to his point - he'll learn to shorten it up. However, a Preds fan comparing Grimson to Crisp (paired with Pete, no less) and complaining about taking a long-time to get to the point?????? Crispy might be a bit quicker, I suppose, but his "accuracy" has been off for a while now.... Grimson's got pretty good insight - I like that they're giving him a chance.

Let me get this out of the way first: I love Terry Crisp. Great guy who is passionate about hockey. That said, the "points" he makes are often nonsense or so generic they lack any intellectual value. You can only say "get pucks to the net" so many times per game before it becomes a worthless trope. He rarely breaks a play down to provide insight on the specific successes / failures of said play. No idea how Grimson will pan out, but I'm fine with a change. (long way of saying I agree with you)

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

He had a chance, last season. He filled in for Terry for several games last season when Terry was out doing alumni stuff for the Flyers, and was horrible. Maybe a full season will make him better.

jntarheels

Feb 20, 2013
Clarksville, TN
Comment on OP: Why would talking about Grimmer taking over as color analyst be Off-Topic? It's Predators related.

I didn't really think any of the other options fit, so I just went with OT.
If a general "Media" tag existed, it would have been that.

I have removed the tag all together now.

Phototropic

Feb 4, 2012
Chattanooga
Knew it was coming, not looking forward to it. I don't really care for Stu.
Same here. Stu has some very awkward phrases he likes to repeat ad nauseum (i.e. repeatedly pausing and inserting "kind of" in the middle of sentences, ending the majority of his interviews with "thanks for that" instead of just saying thanks) that wear on me. Hopefully his delivery improves with more air time.

As far as his content I've usually enjoyed it. His delivery is just really poor.

I realize you could say the same of Crisp, but I expect it from someone in his position and it was more endearing than annoying.

codeman00

Apr 24, 2012
The gold standard in Preds broadcasting was Callahan. Awesome enthusiasm, great play calling and great insight on the game. I agree that Terry unfortunately was losing his edge. Loved his enthusiasm but yeah, he made some mistakes. Loved the Krispy's Breakdown segment. Stu's intro into TV has been a bit rough; however, I really thought his radio commentary was great. A lot of Xs and Os and I found myself learning a lot more about the game with his play breakdowns and information that only a former player would know. We'll see how he does in the booth and I'm not going to throw him under the bus until he has a full season under his belt. I'm not sure why you guys hate Mark Howard as much as you do. I enjoy his comments and perspective on the game....most of the time calling it like it is. His radio show in the morning is very entertaining and informative. But everyone has their own opinion. I wonder how Belak would have done since it seemed like he was being groomed for the job.

dubgeek

Mar 1, 2012
Franklin, TN
No doubt Terry has been a great ambassador of the game as it developed its fan base here, but I'm not gonna miss him one bit on the broadcast. Admittedly, I was a bit spoiled growing up in L.A. and listening to Bob Miller and Jim Fox, but the Preds crew has been tough to adjust to the last 7+ years.

Anyway, at 16 years in it's high time the Predators have a former Predator player to do the color. I always thought/hoped they were grooming Sullivan for that role with all the broadcast appearances he did when he was out with the back injury. He always seemed charismatic and articulate and able to compose and express his thoughts pretty quickly.

One thing to keep in mind is that Grimson is still fairly new to this and will hopefully improve and be willing to learn and adapt a bit. He definitely needs to work on making his point more quickly. I lost count of how many times he kept talking over a developing play. I could feel Weber wanting to jump in with his call but being too considerate to do so.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I think it's time, but I'm still sorry to see Crispy leave. Glad he's sticking around for a few things. Glad he's going to have some time with his wife to have an actual retirement. He's 71, it was inevitable. He was slipping some, but upon learning that his wife and father had been ill, I have to wonder whether it was mental or simply his focus. Whatever, good luck to him in his future role.

Since Tom C has apparently cut his ties with the organization, if I could have my way, I'd steal Aaron Sims from Milwaukee and put him on radio pbp. The couple of times he filled in for Willy while he took over for Pete, I thought he had the perfect voice, cadence, level of enthusiasm for a radio broadcast. Then I'd move Willy over to radio color. He is interesting, but his voice isn't fast enough for hockey. I have not been a fan of Stu on the radio (it's almost like he's trying to be too intelligent or something. Maybe to prove that he is more than the Grim Reaper character, I don't know) but I haven't heard him much on TV so I'll hold off on evaluation of that.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I first started seriously following the Preds the season after the 05 lockout, Eli Gold did the pbp. I really liked his call. Listening to Pete and Terry was very frustrating at times. You knew play was going on but they would go off on a tangent. Callahan was also a good listen. Hopefully, Stu will get smoother. The guy is a lawyer after all. He should be used to public speaking.

NorthAlPredfan

Dec 18, 2010
Huntsville, Al
I hate he's stepping down. I loved listening to Crispy. Too bad Eli couldn't do it. He wouldn't be available for the weekend games with his Bama commitments. As for Sully being used in the booth....I think he's not working anywhere is he? Maybe if Stu didn't work out?......

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I hate he's stepping down. I loved listening to Crispy. Too bad Eli couldn't do it. He wouldn't be available for the weekend games with his Bama commitments. As for Sully being used in the booth....I think he's not working anywhere is he? Maybe if Stu didn't work out?......

Eli? Oh please no. While he has a distinctive voice, he does a terrible job of describing the action.

I'm not sure what the deal was with Tom Callahan, but he had a great voice and did a great job. I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Enjoy the semi-retirement Crispy, you've earned it!

Now we get the Stu Grimson drinking game everybody! One shot of Jack Daniels Fire for every 'Guts of the ice' phrase uttered by our new color commentator. *taxi service will be mandatory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad