Confirmed with Link: Strome won’t be qualified

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Didnt Strome have arb rights? Of course nobody wants to trade for him and then he takes them to arbitration. He would get more because they would just take in his age points and spit out a number instead of factoring in how he plays.

Many teams want to keep there cap free to see if they can land a big fish. Once some of these teams didnt land the big fish they had money to play with so offer Strome less than his QO and didnt have to pay any assets to do so.

He didnt have any trade value thus we didnt trade him.

The issue wasn't even the QO. It was the arbitration case. With his body of work and comparables around the league, he would have gotten 4M+ easily.
No team wanted to take that risk and ruin a free agency period by spending 4 million on Strome and lose out on first priorities. Once Backstrom went down I am sure caps went to look for a suitable replacement right away and once the big names left they had enough to get Strome to fill in. I think hes a good fit for them too while Backstrom is gone.

Laz didnt want to see anything but the negative like always.

Reactions: hockeydoug

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Didnt Strome have arb rights? Of course nobody wants to trade for him and then he takes them to arbitration. He would get more because they would just take in his age points and spit out a number instead of factoring in how he plays.

Many teams want to keep there cap free to see if they can land a big fish. Once some of these teams didnt land the big fish they had money to play with so offer Strome less than his QO and didnt have to pay any assets to do so.

He didnt have any trade value thus we didnt trade him.

No team wanted to take that risk and ruin a free agency period by spending 4 million on Strome and lose out on first priorities. Once Backstrom went down I am sure caps went to look for a suitable replacement right away and once the big names left they had enough to get Strome to fill in. I think hes a good fit for them too while Backstrom is gone.

Laz didnt want to see anything but the negative like always.
To much made of the arb thing being a deterrent to the trade. Arb is still cost controlled and you can add a pile of years on a contract if you think he's a good middle 6 type. Teams would have parted with a 6th or 7th if they trusted his game.

1 year of a "show me" contract says there wasn't much faith out there.

Glad it's done, just as glad Laz can't mislead readers on flawed players anymore than he has.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If goal is to suck why not bring back Strome for another year as #1C?

If he is as terrible as people around here, make him out to be why are we moving on from him?
No. The goal is to suck with kids who have potential along with a few underpaid vets who can still play... preferably who can teach and/or set an example. Strome doesn't come close to those parameters.

Reactions: Giovi

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
If goal is to suck why not bring back Strome for another year as #1C?

If he is as terrible as people around here, make him out to be why are we moving on from him?
Why would you want the Hawks' kids exposed to a guy who only plays half of the ice, and doesn't show any signs of wanting to improve himself?

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
As a Habs fan, it pains me to see what the Hawks are doing.. but why are they dumping all these players?? DeBrincat is a player you should rebuild with..I’m sorry to say but that was a boneheaded move

Reactions: Panzerspitze

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
HhHMo6B.png

It's nice to be officially recognized.

You're welcome, Blackhawks organization.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
As a Habs fan, it pains me to see what the Hawks are doing.. but why are they dumping all these players?? DeBrincat is a player you should rebuild with..I’m sorry to say but that was a boneheaded move
If the Blackhawks had more than one (yes one, that is all they have) forward that looked like a top six player and defense prospects that looked like top pairing, you might be right.

The previous GM did two things extremely well. One, he was amazing at making (for the most part) underwhelming draft picks, especially in the later rounds. Second, he was really good at trading away the future (picks and prospects that still needed development) for players that did not make sense at all.

At the end of the season, the Blackhawks had some really good pieces. 2 true elite players in Kane and Cat. A top 15 (at least) defenseman in Jones. A young center that shows flashes but wasn’t consistent and who’s development was screwed up.

Besides that, the roster was a mishmash of bottom six players playing up, players with series flaws in their game, and no exciting prospects (except for Reichel) in the system.

Kane and Cat are both on expiring contracts. What else were they supposed to do? That is the amazing thing about everyone who criticizes blowing it all up. They never have a solution at all.

The only issue that I have about the whole thing is that the return for DeBrincat was very underwhelming. I also understand why it was. He is not going to sign with the Sens and I don’t think there was any interested teams out there that were confident that they could sign him long term. Plus, he is going to get paid at a minimum 9 mil and possible higher than that.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Strome and Kubalik were going to get raises on $3 million and $3.7 million respectively…
Was going to cost the Hawks around $8 million in total to qualify…
Strome was signed at $3.5 million and Kubalik for two years at $2.5 million…
Hawks signed Domi, Anthanasious, Blackwell and Sikura for $8 million…
We’ll see if the Hawks get the same production out of those four that Detroit and Washington get out of the two unqualified…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad