Strome vs Marner vs Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Sure it can help, but Marner playing with Domi and Dvorak also helped, right, or is this where we start to minimize actually playing with guys doesn't help or something

It's been stated MANY times that Mariners numbers are BETTER without Domi. This is something Strome can't say about McJebus.

Last edited:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
It's been stated MANY times that Mariners numbers are BETTER without Domi. This is something Strome can't say about McJebus. Also Marner has 16 points in 7 games with out either Dvorak or Domi so far in the playoffs.

Without? You should check those boxscores.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Marner with his 2nd concussion of the 2014-15 season, another question mark.

That's in the OHL, imagine the NHL. Yeesh.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
New Leafy scenario, they draft 5th with Strome/Hanifin off the board, pick Marner, and he has to retire at 23 due to concussions.

And some people thought it was an overreaction to be upset a few weeks ago when we started to win games and kill our hopes at passing Edmonton, because "3-5 are all pretty much the same". Nope. :(

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
New Leafy scenario, they draft 5th with Strome/Hanifin off the board, pick Marner, and he has to retire at 23 due to concussions.

And some people thought it was an overreaction to be upset a few weeks ago when we started to win games and kill our hopes at passing Edmonton, because "3-5 are all pretty much the same". Nope. :(

People were saying the same kind of crap about Rielly and his "bum knee" during his Draft year. He's turned out fine.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Isn't because of his size though, big players can be just as prone to concussions (e.g. the Lindroses). It's his compete level. He was going for the puck hard with no regard for his safety and got goon'd.

It's a sad state of affairs that the hard working players with high compete level are the most likely by far to get concussed. Happened to Crosby. On the Leafs to both Komarov and Winnik this year. All of whom are well over 200 lbs.

Want to players who avoid concussions? Then you need to go for guys who play a passive floating style like Kessel, Bozak, or Strome.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
People were saying the same kind of crap about Rielly and his "bum knee" during his Draft year. He's turned out fine.

While knee injuries can be just as nagging/serious, Rielly's knee injury was a fluke event. Getting hit in the head is almost unavoidable in hockey unless you are Phil Kessel.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's the 2012-2013 Kadri argument. McDavid get's the top line so Strome get's sheltered minutes. In a development league like the OHL, that's huge - because top pairings are usually draft eligible, first round defencemen while other pairings are usually 16 year olds or journeymen.

About this.

At the NHL level, the idea of being sheltered in terms of Quality of Competition has been largely debunked. The differences over a full season are just too small to be significant in any way. On the other hand, the differences in Quality of Teammates is quite a bit bigger and is something that might set Strome back, as he is playing on the second line.

So Strome might see top pairing defensemen a negligible amount less because of McDavid, but would play with more significantly worse teammates because of the same reason.

When they play together on the PP he is of course a big factor, and I think that is what explains the difference in scoring rate for Strome when he's without McDavid.

Should be noted that even without McDavid, Strome scores at an incredibly high pace.

Another thing that should be noted is that according to CHL Stats, Strome gets less ice time than any of the other guys and his estimated P/60 is actually higher than Marners.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Isn't because of his size though, big players can be just as prone to concussions (e.g. the Lindroses). It's his compete level. He was going for the puck hard with no regard for his safety and got goon'd.

It's a sad state of affairs that the hard working players with high compete level are the most likely by far to get concussed. Happened to Crosby. On the Leafs to both Komarov and Winnik this year. All of whom are well over 200 lbs.

Want to players who avoid concussions? Then you need to go for guys who play a passive floating style like Kessel, Bozak, or Strome.
Strome does remind me of Malkin in that regard. He can forcheck quite well, plays a heavy game, great around the net/ traffic but doesn't do the same on the defensive end. I wouldn't say he's weak defensively, he's good but doesn't have that elite two-way upside Marner possesses.

Marner ( much like Nazem Kadri or Sam Bennett) really remind me of Gilmour.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Not the same thing. Once your knee is surgically repaired, it's fixed. His knee will never feel quite right, but it's not any more prone to injuries now, in fact it's usually said the repaired knee is stronger than it was before and less likely to be re-injured.

Concussions, on the other hand, result in permanent damage. Each incident makes the next one more likely, and the symptoms likely to be more severe. The brain damage one suffers when getting a concussion will also affect the player for the rest of his life and the damage from multiple incidents is cumulative. After the immediate symptoms fade, any permanent damage may not be noticeable, but it's there. His cognitive function may be impaired in some way for the rest of his life, it may not be noticeable but, it will exist. It may affect his hockey playing too (most players seem to enter a decline after suffering a concussion), although that's obviously a secondary concern.

I would MUCH rather tear an ACL than suffer a concussion even if the latter only kept me out of action for two weeks. I would really not want to entertain the possibility of going through the rest of my life having worse sleep, increased irritability, less ability to concentrate, decreased spatial awareness, added fatigue diminished problem solving abilities, or any of the other myriad issues that can plague a patient even years after just a single concussion.

Concussions are scary ****.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

The play was a bad elbow to the head which resulted in the Eerie player being banned indefinitely. A stupid kid did a stupid thing. It wasn't an injury because Marner is 5"11 or plays hard, it was a violent play that would have taken anybody (size regardless) out. OHL or NHL makes no difference in this case. It's just something that happens. It would have given McDavid a concussion as well.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
The play was a bad elbow to the head which resulted in the Eerie player being banned indefinitely. A stupid kid did a stupid thing. It wasn't an injury because Marner is 5"11 or plays hard, it was a violent play that would have taken anybody (size regardless) out. OHL or NHL makes no difference in this case. It's just something that happens. It would have given McDavid a concussion as well.

Yes, but concussions stack, so to speak. Already having one doesn't necessarily mean anything, but 2? it makes getting #3 that much easier on a simpler play. I still haven't found anything about the supposed #1 yet however, so maybe this is just #1

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
About this.

At the NHL level, the idea of being sheltered in terms of Quality of Competition has been largely debunked. The differences over a full season are just too small to be significant in any way. On the other hand, the differences in Quality of Teammates is quite a bit bigger and is something that might set Strome back, as he is playing on the second line.

In the OHL it's a huge difference. getting to play behind McDavid means he gets to play against much easier competition. In the NHL it may not be a big deal, but when you're an amazing prospect like Strome and McDavid handles the overagers/top defense men, scoring will be much easier.

So Strome might see top pairing defensemen a negligible amount less because of McDavid, but would play with more significantly worse teammates because of the same reason.
When both Factors are removed we saw Strome produce at a 1.67 ppg rate no? No Mcdavid to shelter him and he got more ice time.

Should be noted that even without McDavid, Strome scores at an incredibly high pace.
No doubt, he is an amazing prospect after all. It's just without McDavid he doesn't beat Marners 2.61 PPG pace without Domi or his 2 PPG pace in general.

Another thing that should be noted is that according to CHL Stats, Strome gets less ice time than any of the other guys and his estimated P/60 is actually higher than Marners.

Again this is due to the easier competition. I think it's safe to say If Marner got to center the 2nd line after McDavid his already phenomenal number would also be higher.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long

His first injury was an arm compression fracture (plus a bruised face). No concussion. Offender of the hit was suspended for 8.

Both injuries came on cross-checks away from the puck and to the side of the net. Just bad luck.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I can't find anything about his 1st concussion aside from guesses by fans

Good catch. Looks like his earlier injury this year was actually an arm injury, but it was listed as "upper body" and people assumed a concussion.

Still debating jumping over to the Strome train, even one concussion still does concern me, and the more I see Marner the more I think he might be too gritty.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
It's the 2012-2013 Kadri argument. McDavid get's the top line so Strome get's sheltered minutes. In a development league like the OHL, that's huge - because top pairings are usually draft eligible, first round defencemen while other pairings are usually 16 year olds or journeymen.

This is not a real argument, how many times does the same poster have to mention how QoC over an entire season is moot point, especially when this kid played 1/3rd of the season on the first line.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Good catch. Looks like his earlier injury this year was actually an arm injury, but it was listed as "upper body" and people assumed a concussion.

Still debating jumping over to the Strome train, even one concussion still does concern me, and the more I see Marner the more I think he might be too gritty.

I have Marner ahead by a hair and I have no plans on changing that due to his injury(s). I have to assume he learns to watch for *******s being *******s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad