Strome vs Marner vs Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
The play was a bad elbow to the head which resulted in the Eerie player being banned indefinitely. A stupid kid did a stupid thing. It wasn't an injury because Marner is 5"11 or plays hard, it was a violent play that would have taken anybody (size regardless) out. OHL or NHL makes no difference in this case. It's just something that happens. It would have given McDavid a concussion as well.

The only silver lining is that kid seems far less talented than his dad, so the odds of him making the NHL and terrorizing people's knees is very slim. And he's 19, so hopefully that was the last game he plays in the OHL.

Rufio65*

Gap between him and the other defencemen isn't as big as it's perceived to be.

Hanifin is the number 3 dman on my board. Any team that takes him over Provorov is making a big mistake. Provorov is clearly the total package.

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
Marner with his 2nd concussion of the 2014-15 season, another question mark.

That's in the OHL, imagine the NHL. Yeesh.

False.. the first injury was a shoulder and arm injury

And he's also quite smaller than what he's listed at

Rufio65*

Marner should not even be in consideration in the top 5. Love his game but, he's gonna drop in a big way. He can't withstand the physical abuse. The hit on Marner was not that bad, and the other hit on Domi an 8 game suspension, are you kidding me?

Rufio65*

He's missed less games than McDavid, so there's that

Don't recall McDavid missing playoff games..

Also, Marner beats up in bottom feeding teams. The lack of parity in the OHL inflates Marners and Stromes numbers in a big way. They've both had a few no shows against the top teams this year.

I think that Marner is a tremendous talent but it would be lunacy to take him in the top 5. He's a boom or bust pick.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Don't recall McDavid missing playoff games..

Also, Marner beats up in bottom feeding teams. The lack of parity in the OHL inflates Marners and Stromes numbers in a big way. They've both had a few no shows against the top teams this year.

I think that Marner is a tremendous talent but it would be lunacy to take him in the top 5. He's a boom or bust pick.

Technically, McDavid just scored 5 goals against a bottom feeder, which is what London is without Marner and Domi. And what playoff games have to do with anything I don't know. Seems like nitpicking at best

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
This is not a shot at you, but it's been said in this thread, the draft thread, and the rebuild thread: Mitch Marner is a center.

IMO, the only comparison b/w Strome and Toews are that they're both centers. Plus, at this stage I think Marner is better defensively; something Patrick Kane isn't.

To be fair, he has played about 140 games in the OHL - with about 125 of them at right wing. It has only been in the past month or so he has begun to play in the middle. Had London had Horvat this year, or not traded McCarron, Marner would likely still be playing the wing in the playoffs.

Even most scouts are still uncertain what position he will play at the higher level. I am not sure you can say he is for sure a winger, but I don't think it is that clear that he is a center either.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I asked this before but it appears my post was removed for some reason so I guess I'll ask again...

How does Dylan Strome compare to his brother, Ryan Strome? Who is projected to be the better player? Ryan is pretty great, it'd be amazing if Dylan was even better.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I asked this before but it appears my post was removed for some reason so I guess I'll ask again...

How does Dylan Strome compare to his brother, Ryan Strome? Who is projected to be the better player? Ryan is pretty great, it'd be amazing if Dylan was even better.
It's a hard question to answer. If Dylan was in that 2011 draft, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 1st overall, or at least contend. So, in regards to draft year hype, Dylan is more impressive.

But that only means so much. Ryan has gotten bigger, and he has tracked very nicely. Already a 50 point player at 21 after boasting .7 PPG in the AHL; I wouldn't be surprised to see him creep up on 65pts~ next year.

Based on how well Ryan has progressed, i'd say the gap is closer, but Dylan's upside is higher and he has more hype, so slight edge going that way. Both are playmaking, natural centre's with exceptional hands and vision. Dylan has the size advantage and maybe more smarts, but Ryan uses his size just as well if not better down low and is a significantly better skater. I can't confidently say much more at this point.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Dylan has already put up much better numbers in the OHL. At this point in time, Dylan is likely projected to be better.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
In the OHL it's a huge difference. getting to play behind McDavid means he gets to play against much easier competition. In the NHL it may not be a big deal, but when you're an amazing prospect like Strome and McDavid handles the overagers/top defense men, scoring will be much easier.

When both Factors are removed we saw Strome produce at a 1.67 ppg rate no? No Mcdavid to shelter him and he got more ice time.

No doubt, he is an amazing prospect after all. It's just without McDavid he doesn't beat Marners 2.61 PPG pace without Domi or his 2 PPG pace in general.

Again this is due to the easier competition. I think it's safe to say If Marner got to center the 2nd line after McDavid his already phenomenal number would also be higher.

My whole point was that there's an inability to actually actively pick and choose playtime like that for players. We talk about things like how first lines get the top pairings but when its all said and done, second lines face them almost as much. Logic dictates that it's the same in every league, as its the same factors that regulate them in every league.

It's not a question of it being "a big deal". It's a question about differences. That sheltered player might play a few percentages more against easier competition than the top guy, and that difference is negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce