Strombo interviews Karlsson

Karlsson2Turris*

Those interviews with Crosby, Toews, Hank and Tavares, Seguin, Giroux were actually really good.

As SilverSeven said, I don't get the hate for Strombo.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
I think its kind of laughable and sad that the criticisms of Stombo always come down to how he dresses.

The guy is an amazing interviewer. They should have him doing After Hours. That would be amazing.

This.

He's a great interviewer. Don't get the hate at all.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
Strombo's a solid interviewer, but I too have never been a fan. Couldn't ever really pinpoint why, but some of the posts in this thread have given me an idea of why. Maybe he'll grow on me a little as time goes on, but I doubt it. The round table discussions is his strength for sure.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
As time went on I always felt Ron was extremely annoyed with Cherry.

During Coach's Corner last night, while Don was rambling incoherently about the shootings, Ron had this "STOP. TALKING." death glare aimed right at him the entire time.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I actually like Strombo, but not in the hockey setting. Maybe it's something I'll get used to, but I almost feel like he's being wasted in his current role.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
During Coach's Corner last night, while Don was rambling incoherently about the shootings, Ron had this "STOP. TALKING." death glare aimed right at him the entire time.

If Don talked about hockey once in a while coaches corner wouldn't be so bad :P

King EK65

#KuldaApproved
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
Why do you judge someone by the way they look/dress? I think his style is quite nice. And he's good at interviewing, why the hate?

ThreeMs

Oct 21, 2013
Ottawa
He comes across as phony because he's not a hockey guy. Doesn't really understand the game like Ron does. I can't stand the SN crew and he's the worst of the lot.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
If Don talked about hockey once in a while coaches corner wouldn't be so bad :P

Last week he talked hockey the whole time.
This week you knew he was going to do a military bit.
First week was a good ol Ontario boy rant.

Remember that Rogers has basically sliced his show to a third of the time he used to have... So where he used to hit all three cliches in one show, we'll probably see some cycling of the above

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I can't stand the guy.

Comes off as a smarmy hipster elitist fake, and usually looks like he just staggered in the door coming off a bender.

That said, I didn't like him on his own show on CBC, and on Rogers/SN I really can't stand it. The whole Strombo/Kipper/Hrudey segments were cringe worthy on Sat night.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
People commenting on his dressing habits? Really? Are you getting him confused with Don Cherry? lol

His haircut? What is this the New York Yankees (who have a clean cut policy)? Does everyone have to look the same?

I've been a fan of George since he was at Much music, when it was decent to watch. He's always been an 'alternative' kinda guy, doing the Punk Show, and metal show on much, so he's not a poser. He looks almost the same as he did 15 years ago.

He is an avid supporter of providing aid to developing/war-struck countries, unlike Don Cherry, who spoke out AGAINST providing aid to Haiti to help it recover from the earthquake.

They are two different people. One is an Archie Bunker clone, and the other is the complete opposite. I guess that is why there will be a differing of opinions.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Last week he talked hockey the whole time.
This week you knew he was going to do a military bit.
First week was a good ol Ontario boy rant.

Remember that Rogers has basically sliced his show to a third of the time he used to have... So where he used to hit all three cliches in one show, we'll probably see some cycling of the above

I was exaggerating :P

Just seems everytime I catch coaches corner he's going on about dead soldiers or something . . . I just wish they'd leave the politics out of sports.

Talk about the damn game, let the "experts" talk about the other stuff.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I was exaggerating :P

Just seems everytime I catch coaches corner he's going on about dead soldiers or something . . . I just wish they'd leave the politics out of sports.

Talk about the damn game, let the "experts" talk about the other stuff.

agree with this 100%

I mean that as no disrespect for soldiers, the Canadian military, etc - I just think that politics/nationalism has no place in the NHL.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Who said anything about his looks being the reason people don't like him? The only posters commenting on his looks appear to be the pro-Strombo crowd.

Haven't liked him since I first watched him on The Hour. His personality comes off as completely phoney.

Last edited:

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
I don't really understand the phoney comments, considering he's been basically the same for 15+ years...

I can understand not liking him because his background isn't hockey, but give him some time and that'll change. So far I have no complaints. If anything, I'd like to see both him and Ron have some airtime and get rid of Cherry, who is like a pox on the whole of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad