Online Series: Stranger Things (A love letter to the supernatural classics of the 80's)

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Finished it last night, best show I have seen since True Detective s1.

A fantastic combo of Spielberg and Stephen King. Not a dull moment and I can't wait to watch it again.

I was very impressed by the acting, Ryder was great, but all of the kids were so good, especially 11.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
It sounds like that is the plan. I read that they have a 30 page "Bible" that details the mythology (stuff like the monster (s), the "Upside Down", the government's agenda, etc.) which they will delve into more in the hypothetical season 2. Sounds like it will be framed more of as a "sequel."

That's to bad, I had hoped each season would be a new story with new actors and the like, but maybe in the same world.

They could do seasons based on various Mythological entities with an 80's twist to it.

Aliens, Vamps, Ghosts, Giant Monsters, et cetra.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Great so far, right down to the soundtrack (joy division for the win) and zoom in through the title effects at the start.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Just finished it. Still not as outstanding as I hoped for it to be. But liked it much better from episode 5 on. Characters started to grow on me and some great scenes, technically well done (El' in that tank + her scenes with "Papa", Hopper's memories flushing back + connections made with Will's situation, several scenes of El' using her powers and so on). Especially liked that they just made it look like a happy ending from the outside.

Last edited:

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I am a product of the 90's and watched/enjoyed ET growing up. Just finished the Pilot and feel like I am re-watching the movie all over again.

IronMosher

I R Sharks Fan
Aug 5, 2003
Waddletown, PA
Visit site
I only watched the first episode and I think it was a bunch of crap because "****** bag" was not a term in the 80's and there was no Lord of the Rings role playing game. It was D&D back then. It really failed in the nostalgia department in many ways.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I only watched the first episode and I think it was a bunch of crap because "****** bag" was not a term in the 80's and there was no Lord of the Rings role playing game. It was D&D back then. It really failed in the nostalgia department in many ways.

They were playing D&D and the ********* term originated in the 1960s.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I've seen the first three episodes but don't have the desire to go back to it. Some interesting elements, but the slow pace was killing me. Something please happennnnnnnn

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I've seen the first three episodes but don't have the desire to go back to it. Some interesting elements, but the slow pace was killing me. Something please happennnnnnnn

I didn't have a problem with the pacing, but rather the reliance on nostalgia. Nothing about this show was original.

Still, I'd like to see what they could do with the same characters in second season.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011

Were you in a coma during the 80's? I'm glad you're back now.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
They were playing D&D and the ********* term originated in the 1960s.

Exactly.

Loved the show, interesting to see that the next part will be more of a sequel than a season 2.

Matt Duffer says season two will be “more of a sequel†than a second season:

We don’t answer all the questions by the end of the season — there are definitely some dangling threads. The hope is that it feels satisfying but that we left room and that if people respond to it we can go back into this world. But if we do get to go back, it’s not a second season as much as a sequel.
Ross Duffer chimed in:

There’s a lot there we don’t know or understand. Even with ‘The Upside Down,’ we have a 30-page document that is pretty intricate in terms of what it all means, and where this monster actually came from, and why aren’t there more monsters — we have all this stuff that we just didn’t have time for, or we didn’t feel like we needed to get into in season one, because of the main tension of Will. We have that whole other world that we haven’t fully explored in this season, and that was very purposeful.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA

I sort of agree with this. The pacing at the beginning is very slow. It does really pick up though and I'm glad I stuck with it.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
We started watching it last night, Episode 1 and 2 were great, hope to watch a couple more tonight and finish it this weekend

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Just finished it. Still not as outstanding as I hoped for it to be. But liked it much better from episode 5 on. Characters started to grow on me and some great scenes, technically well done (El' in that tank + her scenes with "Papa", Hopper's memories flushing back + connections made with Will's situation, several scenes of El' using her powers and so on). Especially liked that they just made it look like a happy ending from the outside.
I was kind of disappointed.

Watched the whole series.

It's well made, competent television, but entirely unoriginal.
I get that they're purposely going for the throwback vibe, but you still have to bring something new to the table. I felt like I'd seen this story before. Several times at that. Every plot development, character, and set piece reminded me of something, and not in a good way. You can pay homage to Spielberg, Stephen King, Twin Peaks, etc etc without telling beat by beat a story that's already been told.

A solid 7/10. Unfortunately, they used their most trope breaking plot points as cliffhangers in the last episode, so we'll have to wait and see if there's some more originality there. Will watch season two if they make it.
Yeah, it was kind just ok.

void

Jan 5, 2006
I thought the ending was great but it was ok overall. I really loved the actor who played Dustin. Hope we see him in more stuff in the future.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
This is easily the best character on the show

112756.jpg

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I thought the ending was great but it was ok overall. I really loved the actor who played Dustin. Hope we see him in more stuff in the future.

I thought the ending sucked. IMO they build up to a potentially great battle and it's over abruptly and in a whimper. It feels like it was going to be a 10-12 episode season then the writers were told, after the 7th episode was produced, that they were only getting one more. Then the slammed everything haphazardly into one episode. Reminds me of the end of Penny Dreadful.

IMO it went from a 9/10 down to a 7. There are a lot of great elements: the cast, the vibe, the music, and the writing. They just need to decide on a direction and a right way to finish it. If they get that right this show will be unstoppable.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Hits the spot for those of us in our 30's and early 40's...looking forward to the second season!

Fav character for me is the Sheriff

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Loved the show. Quite possibly the best show of the year.

My only "plot hole"/complaint:
[spoil]Why did the Lab let the Sheriff Hopper go the first time? They were already established as being willing to kill to protect their secrets. They could have easily framed the situation as another suicide if they wanted, given that it was an alcoholic who had lost his daughter that they caught. Yet they let him go after he snuck in and saw what was in their basement. [/spoil]

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Loved the show. Quite possibly the best show of the year.

My only "plot hole"/complaint:
[spoil]Why did the Lab let the Sheriff Hopper go the first time? They were already established as being willing to kill to protect their secrets. They could have easily framed the situation as another suicide if they wanted, given that it was an alcoholic who had lost his daughter that they caught. Yet they let him go after he snuck in and saw what was in their basement. [/spoil]

[spoil]I believe they were concerned with exposure. There had already been a suicide (Benny, the cook) and a missing kid at that point. They did mention that it is a town where nothing really ever happens.[/spoil]

At least that is how I rationalised it.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I want to start watching this, but I heard it's "scary". Can anyone define what is scary about this show haha

I know it sounds stupid but I'm curious. Preferably no spoilers

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I might be the only one who preferred the first four episodes to the last four. The set up for me was the most interesting and the characters grabbed me almost immediately. The establishment of the mystery, and the introduction to the setting and the pristine handling of mise-en-scene to account for the era, was more satisfying than the resolution of the loose narrative ends.

I also felt that the wrap-up went into a lot of familiar areas of conflict, as classical narratives typically do - although I still enjoyed the resolution a great deal. There were some very memorable moments.

void

Jan 5, 2006
I want to start watching this, but I heard it's "scary". Can anyone define what is scary about this show haha

I know it sounds stupid but I'm curious. Preferably no spoilers

There's a few scary moments (some jump scares, a monster, eerie vibes/settings) but in general it wasn't scary at all. You should be fine!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad