OT: Strange Ray Bourque stat

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
1424 regular season games for the Bruins, was a +460

181 play-off games for the Bruins, was a -8 ... including a minus 7 years in a row.

Like what do you make of that? Anomaly?

I'd be curious to know how many of those minus seasons came toward the end when they were basically one and done in the first round.

I'd also have to imagine he was a minus in the Oilers series and the Penguins series.

I was a youngin at the time though so just a shot in the dark.

BruinsCupNow

Mar 9, 2002
Toronto.
Visit site
I just checked out his playoff stats at http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8445621

Their +/- numbers don't add up. It looks as though his Bruin year total should be +9 in the playoffs if you simply add and subtract each individual playoff season. Weird.

In any event, you're right about the 7 straight years with a minus. The one mitigating factor: in 4 of those years, Bruins lost in the first round, so you'd almost expect him to be a minus. How he ended up a minus in 1991 when they went to the Conference Finals is awfully surprising.

--BCN

member 96824

As far as +/- goes, some rough years in there. -10 in 12 games in 92 -5 in 5 for 95.

88 he was +16, so I'm not sure how much the Edmonton idea holds up. I wasn't even born then, so can't comment.

Definitely interesting Lou, good find. I don't think +/- means much without context of the rest of the team, but certainly very odd.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
considering the Bruins lost more then they won in the playoffs when he played on the team and the fact he played just about 60 mins a game this stat does not shock me.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
well the Bruins in that era never managed to go all the way and many attribute that to Sinden and co. never really giving them the supporting cast needed to do so. Maybe Ray's playoff +/- is just a reflection of the fact that the team was built to be a playoff team but not a contender?

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I just checked out his playoff stats at http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8445621

Their +/- numbers don't add up. It looks as though his Bruin year total should be +9 in the playoffs if you simply add and subtract each individual playoff season. Weird.

In any event, you're right about the 7 straight years with a minus. The one mitigating factor: in 4 of those years, Bruins lost in the first round, so you'd almost expect him to be a minus. How he ended up a minus in 1991 when they went to the Conference Finals is awfully surprising.

--BCN

Yeah I'm with you, it's a bit surprising.. I remember him being pretty dominant during that run. I'm guessing his +/- took a decent hit after that Pit series; they had a ton of goals (I blame Moog :naughty:).

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Boy did Harry **** up that trade.....

Not sure I agree with that. He was trying to trade Bourque to a contender so he could get a cup. It's not like he was opening him up to any team. Rolston was a pretty good return for a guy at the end of the road.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Think we just became old and overrated somewhat overnight in the early 90s.

In NHL 93 we are only a 5 rating for most positions and those ratings were based on what were projected to be fall of 1992. That 93 Rangers team that was actually awful was a 9 in most of those categories.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
did you actually ever watch Bourque play? just curious.

Bourque was hands down the best D man of his generation its embarrassing to see a Bruin fan slam him. And he'd have a Cup if Sinden didn't subtract from the team every single season in his prime due to cheapness.

Last edited by a moderator:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Dude just wants a reaction. Bourque was hands down the best D man of his generation its embarrassing to see a Bruin fan slam him. And he'd have a Cup if Sinden didn't subtract from the team every single season in his prime due to cheapness.

I'd throw Denis Potvin in the mix.

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
Ray was leaned on heavily by the Bruins for years. That shows up in the P.Os when playing the best of the NHL for those years. He was often targeted in the POs as the way to get past the Bruins. Wear Ray down and the rest of the team would fall like dominoes. Often times they did.

I love BigZ and thank him for bringing us the cup, but he is not Ray Bourque. Ray was a machine, the puck would go into the corner and he'd come out with it. You'd have to watch game after game to spot a flub along the boards. Where as with Mr. Z it's a nightly occurrence. Not his fault, he has a tough time with smaller players and when the puck is in his feet. There's very few players who ever made it off the wall with Z riding them, but Ray would come out with it on his stick.

2 different excellent defensemen with different assets.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Not sure I agree with that. He was trying to trade Bourque to a contender so he could get a cup. It's not like he was opening him up to any team. Rolston was a pretty good return for a guy at the end of the road.
The other guys sucked and they blew the pick. That trade should have been a major rebuilding moment. It wasn't.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Seriously. For all the ball washing Chara gets, he's nowhere near the defenseman Ray was.

Get real, Chara will go down as one of If not the Best " defenseman " to ever wear a B's uniform.

And is great captain/leader that help the Bruins get back to relevancy. Ray had many chances to win a cup with some great teams yet could not get it done.

He should have been traded long before he was to start a rebuild

Last edited:

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Ray skates circles around Chara. Also, he wasn't "injured" or "tired" in the playoffs like Chara is every single year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad