Stralman hit on Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Except for the part where DoPS has explicitly stated that previous history doesn't (or shouldn't) play a part in the "is this hit worth reviewing for potential discipline" part of the discussion. Per their own standards, the previous disciplinary history shouldn't be considered until they are in the "punishment" phase of supplementary discipline
I'm not speaking for the DoPS. I'm speaking for myself. A guy that throws a suspect hit that has no history of suspensions or fines will get the benefit of the doubt from me over a guy who's been suspended and fined multiple times for questionable hits.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
A dangerous hit that should be penalized and Stralman should have a call with the league.

But all along we've known that player history and injury/lack of injury plays a factor in suspensions. So if Stralman isn't suspended, it really has nothing to do with Tom Wilson's history, it is because Stralman has a clean history and Wilson wasn't injured on the play.

Towers

Speculator
Oct 7, 2008
Speculation Ave
I'm not speaking for the DoPS. I'm speaking for myself. A guy that throws a suspect hit that has no history of suspensions or fines will get the benefit of the doubt from me over a guy who's been suspended and fined multiple times for questionable hits.

I'm sorry, what part of that hit was suspect?

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
It's 2pm on the East coast. I think we can safely assume the DoPS is not looking at this hit. Not surprising considering how similar it is to the Oshie hit on Letang that wasn't looked at either.

Can we close this thread now?

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

Yeah, but I don't think Capital fans or others who agree this was a bad hit are looking to you to review this hit, no?

Reactions: Drakon
Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Don't think anyone has "sympathy" for Wilson, people just want the rules applied to EVERY player the same way regardless of who that person is. If you don't you, as a league, set a very bad precedent and make it look like some WWE clown show where emotions and not the rule book decide on what is right or wrong.

Looking at the other side of the argument, I do agree that the rules and way of enforcing them as they are aren't particularly great. I've been pretty vocal about making the game stricter when it comes to protecting the head. So I can't say people are wrong when they feel this should get a stiffer penalty, or even a suspension, even if it's done against Tom Wilson. I'm not going to sit here and act like it's a perfectly fine hit just because it's against Wilson. If it happened to one of my own team's players, I wouldn't like it. However, Tom Wilson is also a repeat offender, whereas Stralman isn't. There's a reason why "if the situation were reversed" is the case and why it isn't treated equal -- because not all player's reputations are equal. As a baseline, I'm fine with something like this getting a stiffer penalty. But reputation and being a repeat offender should still matter. The end goal with all rules and enforcing them is to clean up the game, and Wilson's not exactly in a great spot to advocate player safety until he cleans up his own house first.

Last edited:

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Not disputing any of that. My point was for the other side though. The ones who are advocating suspension by Stralman were the first ones to defend Wilson's controversial hits as good, clean, hard, hockey plays. Just wanted you to see the hypocrisy on both sides of the isle since you were quick to point out (and reiterate) just one side.
Yes, I got your point and I've seen it too, don't worry. But after seeing the reactions toward Wilson and how some even wished the hit was harder was the reason why I was quick to point out one side more than the other.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
If Wilson was hurt on the play and had to leave game, I'm guessing this gets looked at. Without an injury, it's a penalty.

It was a dirty hit. Should have been a major in my opinion [targeted head, left feet, numbers turned to him]. I think he got off easy with the 2 minutes.

And I'm a fan of Stralman. Loved him on Rangers, wish we kept him. But a dirty hit is a dirty hit, regardless of who throws it.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If Wilson was hurt on the play and had to leave game, I'm guessing this gets looked at. Without an injury, it's a penalty.

It was a dirty hit. Should have been a major in my opinion [targeted head, left feet, numbers turned to him]. I think he got off easy with the 2 minutes.

And I'm a fan of Stralman. Loved him on Rangers, wish we kept him. But a dirty hit is a dirty hit, regardless of who throws it.

Agreed on the bolded, and I also like Stralman as a player. Was really surprised he only got 2 for this, it could have been any one of a number of calls - hit from behind, boarding, hit to the head at least.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I hate to see players get hurt and that was a dangerous play, but Wilson's comments afterwards are just ridiculous.

He made a very similar hit (without the high followthrough but more force) a couple years ago that knocked John Moore out for a couple months with a concussion. He was not suspended and there was no penalty (??????) on the hit. Video for those that don't remember:

He showed some remorse in his comments after, but it's quite comical comparing them to his after Stralman hit him:

“First off, that’s probably one of the worst things in hockey to see a guy go down like that,” Wilson said to reporters. “You never want to see that. I’m going on the forecheck. His back is to me so I try to let up a little bit. I wasn’t trying to finish my check and I kind of rubbed him out. Honestly, I wasn’t aware he went down until I looked back.”

“That play happens an awful lot in hockey, those over pucks, and I don’t know if he couldn’t get his hands up to protect himself or whatever,” Wilson continued. “Obviously that wasn’t my intent. I’m wishing him the best.”

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
But Stralman won’t be suspended for the boarding, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. Typically, on plays where a player sees the hitter approaching and turns his back, and the hitting player then attempts to minimize the force — Stralman was considered to have changed his angle to hit the back shoulder — there isn’t supplementary discipline.

This is directly from the Washington Post story on the incident. I don't see how Stralman "minimizes" the force of the hit when he jumped into it and I didn't see any angle change.

After Tom Wilson hit, Anton Stralman won’t get suspension

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I hate to see players get hurt and that was a dangerous play, but Wilson's comments afterwards are just ridiculous.

He made a very similar hit (without the high followthrough but more force) a couple years ago that knocked John Moore out for a couple months with a concussion. He was not suspended and there was no penalty (??????) on the hit. Video for those that don't remember:

He showed some remorse in his comments after, but it's quite comical comparing them to his after Stralman hit him:

“First off, that’s probably one of the worst things in hockey to see a guy go down like that,” Wilson said to reporters. “You never want to see that. I’m going on the forecheck. His back is to me so I try to let up a little bit. I wasn’t trying to finish my check and I kind of rubbed him out. Honestly, I wasn’t aware he went down until I looked back.”

“That play happens an awful lot in hockey, those over pucks, and I don’t know if he couldn’t get his hands up to protect himself or whatever,” Wilson continued. “Obviously that wasn’t my intent. I’m wishing him the best.”

That his is nothing like the Stralman hit (Stralman left his feet and hit the head, both of which bring very different considerations into play).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad