GDT: STORM IN THE MAPLE SYRUP FACTORY EP VI

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For a couple of years now, we've kept hearing about how the Canes need more skilled forwards, and we've talked a lot about the Canes trading a defenseman for top six forward help, but every time the Leafs have played you guys, my impression is the Hurricanes are a deep, balanced and skilled group not lacking in offensive firepower.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
For a couple of years now, we've kept hearing about how the Canes need more skilled forwards, and we've talked a lot about the Canes trading a defenseman for top six forward help, but every time the Leafs have played you guys, my impression is the Hurricanes are a deep, balanced and skilled group not lacking in offensive firepower.

We just got Haula back which was a key acquisition and Svech is an absolute beast this year.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Just dropping by to congratulate you boys for the great game! I believe you deserved to win more than us and you schooled us during the middle of the game. Just the sheer will-power to come back and give us such a beating! Love all of you! Always stay strong and classy!!!

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

A Top 6 acquisition was needed, but the team was able to address that by dealing a 4th line center instead. Since the Niederreiter trade, they've averaged 3.3 GF/G, good for 6th best over that time frame (Link). There isn't an elite, Art Ross-type scorer, but they make up for with multiple very good offensive players and quality depth pieces.

The saying "sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make" applies here. Pesce had an off-game, but this team is better off for the league not giving up the skill forward they were looking for around this time last year.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
What a tough loss. I thought the game was as good as over in the first period after we were down 3 goals, and it was awesome how the Canes mounted a rousing comeback only to blow it all away. That was easily one of the most difficult losses to watch this season. I can only imagine how bummed out the locker room was after that game.

As was mentioned already in this topic, that was simply not how you expect our skilled defense to perform. Also, I am so damn tired of us taking stupid penalties this season; they need to control their f****** sticks already. Lastly, the slow starts also need to stop. Wow.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I don't know... it sucks we lost but it was a crazy fun emotional game. Doubt we see many more played that way.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
"That's probably the craziest game I've ever played professionally."
By: Michael Smith

Erik Haula summed it up in nine words:
"I don't really know how to exactly describe that."
Boiled down to the nitty gritty, here's what happened: The Leafs scored three goals. The Canes scored five goals. The Leafs scored 1 goal. The Canes scored 1 goal. The Leafs scored 4 goals.
"That's probably the craziest game I've ever played professionally. It was up-and-down. We started really bad," Martin Necas said. "Then, in the second period, we dominated. The third period, I don't really know what happened."
"It was probably really entertaining for people watching, but that was brutal," Haula said.
In the spirit of the holidays, here is an analogy to best explain what happened. Picture Christmas morning, presents under the tree. You grab a gift, furiously unwrapping it. Surprise! It's that one thing you really, truly wanted. But, then you open the box. Empty. Nothingness.
"That was a tough game. We didn't come out ready," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said. "We got back in and had the game in hand, but just fell asleep and took a little breath. That's a team that has some high-end talent. You can't do that. Another tough lesson."
Recap: Canes Drop Wild Game in Toronto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad