GDT: STORM FOLK @ THE POND

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I noticed last night that Anaheim did a really good job making crisp tape to tape passes where a lot of the Canes passes were behind people or in their feet.

Rods system kind of masks bad passing sometimes by dumping the puck into empty space or rimming it around the boards. But my biggest concern is the boys look a little slow on the forecheck...that or the teams we've played so far have been really good at zone exits. I'm not sure which.

I would keep Aho and TT together at this point but I wouldn't put Jarvis with them....wev'e found that line doesn't work. Maybe put Bunting in that place. My only gripe there is he also seems a bit slow of foot speed to help get in and retrieve pucks.
What is the criteria?

Because the stats say that line very much does work.

Looking at per 60 rates over the past 3 seasons
SAT. CF% 56.91, GF% 61.9, xGF% 54.27
JAT. CF% 53.78, GF% 60, xGF% 58.71

That is considering JAT played together last season a lot when Jarvis and Turbo struggled hard.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I haven't watched every second of every game, but from what I've seen their forecheck isn't at the level it needs to be yet for this system to work. Which is fine. I'm not expecting mid season performance yet. Especially not on this crappy road trip to start the season.

I'm wondering aloud if it's having trouble b/c some guys have lost a half a step, if other teams are breaking out better, or if it's an effort issue.

I'd be inclined to not think it's an effort thing.

iirc we did not start well last season either so I'll hold.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think we will be just fine. As others have stated, it takes a little time for the D to settle in. It seems like Burns was inconsistent the first month or so last year and look how that turned out.
I think Orlov will be just fine in time. I do wonder if the D pairings could be better optimized as:
Slavin-TDA (Slavin babysitting, more offense-oriented)
Skjei-Pece (still top defensive pairing)
Orlov-Burns (grind the opposition into dust)

Wouldn't mind seeing Rod try 11-7 either to keep TDA on the PP and get Chatfield some time with Orlov.

One way or another, Orlov will learn the system just as Hamilton and Burns did. And once he does, I can already see it will be something to behold.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I still for the life of me don’t understand the extent of the D depth on the Canes. You can’t sit any of them - that’s pointless. It’s either sitting too much $$$ which could be allocated elsewhere (TDA), or sitting a cheap Chatfield - and he’s too damn good to sit.

So yeah - I don’t get it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I still for the life of me don’t understand the extent of the D depth on the Canes. You can’t sit any of them - that’s pointless. It’s either sitting too much $$$ which could be allocated elsewhere (TDA), or sitting a cheap Chatfield - and he’s too damn good to sit.

I gotta assume that the Borg believed they would have dealt either Skeji or Pesce this off-season. But I'm also assuming that signing Orlov and TonyD before dealing one of the other two considerably weakened the offers for Brady and/or Brett.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I really think they signed Orlov and TDA with the assumption that one of Pesce or Skjei would be traded for a forward. The trade never materialized and here we are.

Although I don't think TDA's $$$ are that much. He's at $1.675M and Chatfield is at $762M. So it's about a $900K difference

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I highly doubt that Orlov was ever in our off-season plans. We wanted to trade for TDA for the third pair.

Orlov called and said I’ll take a 2 year deal. With our FAs upcoming you don’t say no to that even after failing to move Pesce at the draft. We likely tried to move him again right after that but deals never materialized. We likely required a short timeline so we could still react with a trade or signing.

We didn’t want to ruin a working relationship with Philly by then canceling the deal after the league said wait. But we couldn’t afford him at 2.5 million anymore. So we pay him the same deal for Philly to buy him out and we save 900k. The 2 teams included a non story prospects to at least make it look we didn’t pay them to buy him out.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
There's only an allocation problem if there's something worth spending the excess on elsewhere. The free agent forward market was weak. The trade market was only slightly better. The best chance for impact up front was in-season and that's still on the table as currently constructed. Saving too much cap is inefficient in 2023.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I really think they signed Orlov and TDA with the assumption that one of Pesce or Skjei would be traded for a forward. The trade never materialized and here we are.

Although I don't think TDA's $$$ are that much. He's at $1.675M and Chatfield is at $762M. So it's about a $900K difference
Why did I think he was 2.5? Ok. But I think my basic point still stands - sitting a player every night, whomever it may be, who can more than hold his own, seems odd to me. Anyways.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
There's only an allocation problem if there's something worth spending the excess on elsewhere. The free agent forward market was weak. The trade market was only slightly better. The best chance for impact up front was in-season and that's still on the table as currently constructed. Saving too much cap is inefficient in 2023.
Agreed.

If we had the exact same offseason without signing Orlov, that'd be considered really successful. We got the best free agent forward (Bunting) to fill a powerplay and net-front need. We kept all the depth guys and the tandem goaltending, signed to a lower overall rate. We re-signed Aho.

But if we do ALL of that and have $8M just sitting there under the cap, we'd be foaming at the mouth mad and folks would say Tom Dundon is the cheapest owner.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Tonight is the game to start reversing these minuses:

1697573199794.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad