GDT: STORM FOLK @ THE POND

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Im down for sitting TDA for a while or only playing him on the PP or after the opposing team’s icing.

Change the lines to
Turbo-Aho-Jarvis
Bunting-KK-Necas
Marty-Staal-Fast
Noesen-Drury

Until Svech comes back. Bump Jarvis down to the Staal line, fast or marty joins drury.

Chatty needs to be Orlov’s partner for a little bit for defensive help.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t care any more than I did last night that we looked like crap, though I do agree the Orlov pairing is off to a rough start. Tony looks like Philly Tony not first time Canes Tony and it has nothing to do with Slavin imo. He’s timid to beat guys to get the puck, and he was never timid the first time around here. We have too many pp guys now imo, once we got Orlov Tony didn’t make sense to me anymore and the defense feels unbalanced a bit.

It’s great if we have injuries but I agree I’d like to see Chatfield over Tony in that spot.

Went back and rewatched the goals. The first and third are on Orlov imo. The fourth Tony was timid but it’s Aho that loses his man. The second one was all Raanta.

Last edited:

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Love how everyone blames tda when it's orlov that's the issue. He flat out gave up on one goal and was just walking back from the blue line watching raanta get owned.

I'd say he's the one who needs to sit. Or break up slavin burns. You hate to break up pesce and skjei but at some point you have to do something.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Love how everyone blames tda when it's orlov that's the issue. He flat out gave up on one goal and was just walking back from the blue line watching raanta get owned.

I'd say he's the one who needs to sit. Or break up slavin burns. You hate to break up pesce and skjei but at some point you have to do something.
Orlov’s issue on that one was chasing his guy all the way out past the blue line, the play turned back into the zone quick and the forwards were a half step slow to recover and Tony was left covering too many guys at once. On the first goal they were both in good position as play went up the boards but Orlov got itchy and left the left side….cutting directly in front of Tony on the right side….and chased the play all the way to boards. It rotated around and no forward came down in time to cover for him which left Tony alone with too many guys. Neither of those are on Tony at all. The fourth one Tony got scared of something and let the guy flat out beat him to the puck which led to a behind the net possession and Aho leaving the guy who scored for some reason.

Rod likes our guys to be aggressive and it feels like Orlov was either given a big pep talk or feels pressure to turn the dial to 11. Maybe it’s the AAV or the feeling like he’s being brought in as a big ufa to make a big difference. Maybe he’s just feeling out not being on a leash on some level and just over stepping….and no one knows how to react to him yet. Regardless he’s running around chasing the play like a cooped up lab playing fetch, making errors that it’s hard to believe are common for him.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
79 more games. I like their chances given they've played some pretty unimpressive hockey have 4 out of 6 points, and almost came back to tie it last night.
I don’t know we may have lost the season already.

I don’t like how we are utilizing Bunting so far. He is a net front annoyance. Our offense doesn’t regularly use a net front guy unless its on tips, which isn’t bunting’s specialty.

I would like us to pull orlov off the PP for a little bit and put skjei in there. Let Orlov focus on his defense.

Reactions: zman77

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Could be, time will tell. But aren't you the one who was harshly trashing Andersen much of last season? After how that turned out I'm surprised you're jumping on Orlov so soon instead of waiting to see what he brings once (if) he settles in.
I was. I questioned his compete and commitment. There's a reason that the "freddie flu" is a term.

I saw Tony lift on the last goal and it reminded me of when Dougie got chicken flapped by Ovie. The difference is TDA wasn't avoiding a hit. He didnt want to go in deep. Did he feel like someone was trailing him because he can't trust his partner to not leave someone open behind him? Afraid of a boarding call? Afraid to get burned? No idea but to me it looked like a confidence issue and he was afraid he was all alone and didnt want to make a defensive mistake.

Orlov TDA isn't going to work and sitting TDA in favor of chatfield is a bad idea. Tony needs to get back to 55 point Tony. He can't do that in the press box being blamed for Orlov's bullshit.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Orlov’s issue on that one was chasing his guy all the way out past the blue line, the play turned back into the zone quick and the forwards were a half step slow to recover and Tony was left covering too many guys at once. On the first goal they were both in good position as play went up the boards but Orlov got itchy and left the left side….cutting directly in front of Tony on the right side….and chased the play all the way to boards. It rotated around and no forward came down in time to cover for him which left Tony alone with too many guys. Neither of those are on Tony at all. The fourth one Tony got scared of something and let the guy flat out beat him to the puck which led to a behind the net possession and Aho leaving the guy who scored for some reason.

Rod likes our guys to be aggressive and it feels like Orlov was either given a big pep talk or feels pressure to turn the dial to 11. Maybe it’s the AAV or the feeling like he’s being brought in as a big ufa to make a big difference. Maybe he’s just feeling out not being on a leash on some level and just over stepping….and no one knows how to react to him yet. Regardless he’s running around chasing the play like a cooped up lab playing fetch, making errors that it’s hard to believe are common for him.
Which made people blame Tony. It pisses me the f*** off that Orlov just gave up when he got beat. Skate, asshole. There could be a rebound. Auntie might bail you out. Him giving up and just hovering on that replay shot is something I won't soon forget. You're makign more than most of the team and you suck. At least show effort.

But instead Tony is going to end up sitting over it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Which made people blame Tony. It pisses me the f*** off that Orlov just gave up when he got beat. Skate, asshole. There could be a rebound. Auntie might bail you out. Him giving up and just hovering on that replay shot is something I won't soon forget. You're makign more than most of the team and you suck. At least show effort.

But instead Tony is going to end up sitting over it.
I think they’re smart enough to see where the errors are but yeah Tony probably sits (if someone does) just because it’s time for Chatfield and Tony is lower on depth chart.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I recommend that folks go back and read some of our GDTs from late Oct/Early Nov last season, when the team was struggling (even though still putting up points), Burns hadn't yet adjusted, etc.... There was even 1 or 2 posters stating we won't make the playoffs, etc....

It's a good reminder to not make reactionary judgements too early in the season.

Orlov-TDA as a pairing isn't good right now right now. Orlov hasn't been good and TDA isn't good enough (like Slavin) to make up for any Orlov gaffs. Tony isn't the worst player on the pairing, but he hasn't been without faults as well.

Thing is, like Burns last year, it's going to take time to get Orlov accustomed to the Canes system and get chemistry with partners. As painful as it is, the only way to do that is for him to play games. Sitting him would only prolong that adjustment period so IMO, it's best to take our lumps now. He's an excellent player and I suspect that once he hits his stride in Carolina, we're going to be singing his praises.

Love seeing TT playing with confidence. That's going to be huge for us if it continues, especially when Svech comes back.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Im hoping when Svech returns, we’ll see a reemergence of Necas as well. He disappeared after Svech’s injury last year, and hasnt really been an impact player thus far this year as well.

Reactions: Sigurd

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Of course we managed to give up not 1, but 2 ENGs...why do we even bother trying that tactic? I'm not sure I've seen a team as incompetent as us with the goalie pulled, definitely seem slike it results in a GA WAY more often than a GF.

So effectively we won the 1st game, tied the 2nd, lost the 3rd...certainly not the start we've had the past few seasons. Gonna be a long road-trip if they can't shake off all the rust from the offseason. Maybe this year we're actually saving it for the playoffs? I mean even playing crap hockey we were still in all 3 games and the playoffs SHOULD be pretty much a guarantee as we should be at least as good (if not better on paper) than last year.

Orlov-TDA may not last long though, that's been rough. Definitely a disappointing start for Orlov at his price tag and reputation, maybe he and Chatty can mesh a bit better? And Raanta was pretty brutal in the first period from what I saw, young Pyotr may be getting a callup sooner than later.

As @Boom Boom Apathy said, we saw early struggles with Doogie and Burns and both turned it around big time. Our system is a LOT different than most teams and I think TDA is the only one who adjusted pretty quick because it kind of matches his skating and game already. I'm not too worried about Orlov long-term this season, but I think he might fare better with Chatty until he gets more solidified.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I noticed last night that Anaheim did a really good job making crisp tape to tape passes where a lot of the Canes passes were behind people or in their feet.

Rods system kind of masks bad passing sometimes by dumping the puck into empty space or rimming it around the boards. But my biggest concern is the boys look a little slow on the forecheck...that or the teams we've played so far have been really good at zone exits. I'm not sure which.

I would keep Aho and TT together at this point but I wouldn't put Jarvis with them....wev'e found that line doesn't work. Maybe put Bunting in that place. My only gripe there is he also seems a bit slow of foot speed to help get in and retrieve pucks.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I noticed last night that Anaheim did a really good job making crisp tape to tape passes where a lot of the Canes passes were behind people or in their feet.

Rods system kind of masks bad passing sometimes by dumping the puck into empty space or rimming it around the boards. But my biggest concern is the boys look a little slow on the forecheck...that or the teams we've played so far have been really good at zone exits. I'm not sure which.

I would keep Aho and TT together at this point but I wouldn't put Jarvis with them....wev'e found that line doesn't work. Maybe put Bunting in that place. My only gripe there is he also seems a bit slow of foot speed to help get in and retrieve pucks.

I haven't watched every second of every game, but from what I've seen their forecheck isn't at the level it needs to be yet for this system to work. Which is fine. I'm not expecting mid season performance yet. Especially not on this crappy road trip to start the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad