Stone vs. Chiasson

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Who wins the 2nd line RW spot this year, and who is relegated to the depths of hell known as the 3rd line?

Baseless speculation because theres nothing else to talk about...Go!!!

Bonus question - who's the better player long term?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Hard Poll not voting, Chiasson is defs going to be HEAVILY favoured by coaching and management hopefully hes good..

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Yeah I thought about that, but does familiarity not mean anything? Maybe Stone gets the vote because Mac saw it with his own eyes that Mark can play top 6 minutes and contribute.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I have no clue. They seem to be quite close. Heck I can't figure out if Slifverberg is better than these two either.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
I think they're going to have a similar season this year but Mark Stone will end up being the better player.

BigBush*

The only time I've really been impressed by Stone is when he's been with the red hot Mac-Turris duo. I'll go with Chaisson, but wtf do I know? I've never really seen him play

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Great thread, and a very valid question.

I went with chaisson, but honestly its so up in the air that its nearly impossible to guess whos going to be better.

One thing I can say for absolute certain, is that if one or both of these guys doesnt become 50+ point players, then I don't see us ever being more than a 7-15th place team for the next 3 or more years. Along with zibby, our potential is entirely dependant on their growth as players.

Last edited:

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Interesting question. Both reasonably the same size but one with more NHL experience. Right now I'd have Chiasson take the #2 spot for right wing. Stone has been a fantastic player in the AHL but he hasn't quite proved himself or have the same experience like Chiasson in the big league.

Stone could step up in the near future but undoubtedly right now, I'd pick Chiasson.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Chiasson's such an unknown quantity, what with his medical issues last year, that I honestly have no clue.

It seems to me that management hold Chia in very high regard though, so he might be given the first opportunity to grab that top-6 roll. So in an extreme short-term guess, I'd probably go with Chiasson.

Total coin-flip as to the long-term guess. If there was a "Chiasson now/ ??? future" option, I'd have picked that.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't think Stone is going to have much of a career.

I think he's projecting as a real nice 3rd liner with enough room to grow into a real nice 2nd liner if given the opportunity and he tops out skill & development-wise.

He'll be an NHLer for sure, though. His realistic floor is a "below average-to-average 3rd liner", IMO. He'll get his PA pension, and then some.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think once you see them on the ice together it'll obviously be Stone. He's just a much more talented player. Chiasson has that nose for goals but Stone has everything and uses his body far better.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Stone.

I rewatched multiple Stars games with Alex Chiasson(just right now actually). He has a great nose for the net but he doesn't have the creativity and IQ of Stone. He doesn't have much of anything on Stone, tbh. His skating also isn't that far ahead of Stone to give him a distinct advantage.

Stone now and future.

Edit: Lol i swear I never read FQL's post.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
I voted Stone now and future. Stone is a solid 2nd liner already while Chiasson may become one in the future but seems more suited for 3rd line duties.

Chiasson was on fire at the start of last season with goals in his first three games, and a pair in the ninth game, but then went on to only score 8 more goals in the next 70 games including only one goal in his last fifteen regular season games. He's still young and inexperienced, and should develop into a solid 15 goal guy.

Stone's biggest concern is his health. He played 19 games at the NHL level last season, and spent eight games injured.

Neither is good defensively yet, but I expect both to improve. Stone doesn't take shifts off where it has been reported that Chiasson has. Stone has great stick work to help in this area, and is very dangerous to try to stick work past in the neutral zone. He's a pick pocket.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
If we can sign Bobby all we really need is one of the two to become a second liner, and my money is on that happening. Looking forward to our future! :handclap:

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
I have a hard time calling Stone a solid 2nd liner. He's only played 23 games...

If there are 90 first line forwards, and 90 second line forwards, than an average second line forward would be around 135th overall, offensively. 90 + (90/2) = 135

The 135th point leader among forwards last year had 39 points. In 2011-2012 #135 had 41 points. In 2010-2011 #135 had 42 points. In 2009-2010 #135 had 41 points. 39-42 points seems average for a 2nd line forward. 33, 34, 32, 32 were the last four full season points for the 180th forward.

Mark Stone had 8 points in 19 games in the NHL last season, prorated to 35 points in 82 games.

Mark Stone had 41 points in 37 games at the AHL level last season, and the rough comparison from AHL to NHL is 0.44 per point which prorated to 82 NHL games is 40 points.

Mark Stone had 123 points in 66 games in his last year at the WHL level, and the rough comparison from WHL to NHL is 0.30 per point which prorated to 82 NHL games is 46 points.

This is just speculation, of course.

Here's a comparison as well;

NHL GP G A P +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG TOI S PTSPG
NHL 19 4 4 8 5 4 1 0 0 14:28 36 0.42
NHL 23 5 5 10 -1 6 3 0 0 11:15 37 0.43

The first line is Stone, as a 21 year old rookie. The second line is a 20 year old rookie in '07-'08, Bobby Ryan. Stone isn't the same calibre as Ryan, but he is the same type of player. He has similar strengths and weaknesses. I project Stone to be a 25G, 35A player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad