Injury Report: Stolarz out indefinitely with meniscus tear; update: out "months" but not full season

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Jesus Christ.

How is this even possible? Training camp hasn't started yet!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Both knees now. Brutal.

Wonder if signing Irving to the AHL deal last week was only coincidence. Probably was but don't know the timeline of the injury.

Dude. How does he keep destroying his legs.

Being a 6'6 goalie making those movements probably doesn't help.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Mason had something similar happen in April, 2008. The doctors tried to reattach it which led to a long rehab period, but it didn't take and he reinjured it in training camp in September 2008, so they just removed it. That was the prelude to his Calder-winning season.

http://www.dispatch.com/article/20081023/SPORTS/310239609

Mason’s character has been tested on several levels since suffering a torn meniscus in his left knee during the Ontario Hockey League playoffs in April.

Mason arrived at training camp in mid-September with designs on making the team and staying in Columbus. He got half of his wish, reinjuring the knee after just six on-ice workouts.

Compounding the setback was the fact that doctors in Toronto had reattached the damaged cartilage in April, rather than removing it, in hopes of gaining some long-term health benefits. All parties were on board with the decision, but the drawback was a lengthy recovery period.

“The meniscus just didn’t heal properly,” said Mason, who had the cartilage removed Sept. 23 in Columbus. “It was so frustrating because I had put so much effort into getting back, 5 1/2 months of therapy down the drain, a lot of wasted time.”

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Both knees now. Brutal.

Wonder if signing Irving to the AHL deal last week was only coincidence. Probably was but don't know the timeline of the injury.

Being a 6'6 goalie making those movements probably doesn't help.

Are we going to have to put him down now?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
More on Mason's meniscuses. If they are repairing the meniscus in Stolarz's left knee I'd except him to be out 4-5 months. If they are performing a meniscectomy, it should be around one month.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor.../19/steve-mason-closer-to-returning/23681327/

Six-and-a-half years ago, he had the same procedure on his left knee. When Mason went under the knife Feb. 9 (2015) for a scope, he also had a meniscectomy, removing 60% of his meniscus.

A day before, he had to leave a game against the Washington Capitals when his knee buckled on him. It wasn't during play, either. He was standing at the bench during a TV timeout and suddenly had to leave.

"It was a nothing thing, really," Mason said. "I turned to go back to the net, opened my knee up to push out and the meniscus flipped up and got caught in between the joint there. That's a pretty fluke accident there."

Now that he has had the surgery, he thinks he won't have to worry about it again because nothing bothered him after having surgery on his left knee in September 2008. That was a similar situation when Mason thought he could play through it, but had his knee buckle.

It was the Columbus Blue Jackets third-round pick's last year in juniors when he was playing for the Kitchener Rangers and made a routine move pushing off his left foot to go from one goalpost to the other

"My knee buckled and I went in for surgery a couple days later," Mason said. "Originally with that one they tried repairing the meniscus and that was a four-month recovery. My second time skating back, I tore it again. They just don't have much success repairing meniscus for athletes, especially with goaltenders. There's very little blood supply to it so it's not easy to heal itself. We ended up taking the meniscus out of my left knee and now my right knee.

"I've never had a problem – knock on wood – with my left knee. I don't foresee any problems with this one in the future. I'm just looking forward to, like I said, we know that we've found the problem and dealt with it and just getting back to games hopefully sooner rather than later."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Another reason not to resign Mason to a long-term deal, his knees are less likely to hold up long-term.

This could be the end of Stolarz's Flyer career, Lyon gets the full shot as the AHL starter this year and a head start to make the team next year, Hart and Sandstrom probably play for LHV next year.

That also suggests that another goalie in the first 4 rounds is a high probability event in this summer's draft to keep the pipeline filled.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Let's pump the brakes a bit.

Also, this is why I gave an evil eye to the idea of trading a goalie prospect as per a week or so ago. Let things shake out a bit.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The only thing this really changes is Lyon gets another chance to run away with the AHL job. He had the opportunity and didn't do it last year though. If all goes well, Stolarz should still get a fair amount of work this year to evaluate him. I guess worst case is Lyon still looks like an AHL goalie, Stolarz has trouble getting back in form, and we roll Elliott/Neuvirth next season too. Stolarz is waivers eligible after this year, but Lyon still has an additional year. Not impossible for them to juggle Lyon and the 2 kids, with each getting some ECHL time (maybe Hart more so), for part of the season. Just sucks because this is the year the Flyers really have to make an evaluation on Stolarz.

Are we going to have to put him down now?

72858bc3-9dc7-4b44-a76c-abdb6c2f8acc.gif

*misses and hits Neuvirth*

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They do have the option of signing Sandstrom to an ELC this summer, but letting him play another year in the SHL.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The same guy who claimed "character issues" were why the Flyers didn't look favorably on Stolarz, two days before they protected him in the expansion draft. :snide:

Well now we can add injuries to him being a marginal cog in the Flyers future....

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
R.I.P. Stolie the Goalie. I guess this is why Hexy drafted all them goalies! I think this will knock him down the organizational depth chart, possibly in an irreversible way if Hart/Sandstrom/Lyon have good years. Kind of bummed. Love me a Jersey guy on this team.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
They do have the option of signing Sandstrom to an ELC this summer, but letting him play another year in the SHL.
A good idea. With Stolarz out, if one of the two Flyers goalies goes down I guess that it would be Lyon's turn. Having Sandstorm under contract would be a good insurance policy.
Unfortunately Appleyard reports that Sandstorm has had recent surgery on his stomach. He called it "Keyhole" surgery. IDK what that is but he said that Sandstorm would be out for only two weeks.

Last edited:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Another reason not to resign Mason to a long-term deal, his knees are less likely to hold up long-term.

This could be the end of Stolarz's Flyer career, Lyon gets the full shot as the AHL starter this year and a head start to make the team next year, Hart and Sandstrom probably play for LHV next year.

That also suggests that another goalie in the first 4 rounds is a high probability event in this summer's draft to keep the pipeline filled.

What a wonderful insight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad