Injury Report: Stolarz out indefinitely with meniscus tear; update: out "months" but not full season

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
C3VvifIWIAAQ5Od.jpg

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The only thing this really changes is Lyon gets another chance to run away with the AHL job. He had the opportunity and didn't do it last year though. If all goes well, Stolarz should still get a fair amount of work this year to evaluate him. I guess worst case is Lyon still looks like an AHL goalie, Stolarz has trouble getting back in form, and we roll Elliott/Neuvirth next season too. Stolarz is waivers eligible after this year, but Lyon still has an additional year. Not impossible for them to juggle Lyon and the 2 kids, with each getting some ECHL time (maybe Hart more so), for part of the season. Just sucks because this is the year the Flyers really have to make an evaluation on Stolarz.

72858bc3-9dc7-4b44-a76c-abdb6c2f8acc.gif

*misses and hits Neuvirth*

:laugh: I had the EXACT same gif keyed up to post.

What a disappointing development. Even if he can get back to skating in a few weeks, the timetable for being ready to be called up for the inevitable Neuvirth injury will be months. I was set on seeing Stolarz play significant NHL games this season in the hope that he could compete for a spot this season and be on the Flyers roster in 2018-19.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Stolarz's left knee surgery explains why the Phantoms went out and signed Leland Irving as Phantoms backup/Royals starter.

Alex Lyon now has the chance to pick up where he left off.
If Alex can build off of his strong play down the stretch from last season he should get a recall when Neuvirth gets injured.

Alex Lyon is hopefully (Hakstok) going to get a shot in the NHL this season, he needs to take this opportunity to atleast try to wrestle the backup job away from Neuvirth before the trade deadline.

Lyon was signed for a reason and I believe this kid has the tools to atleast be a capable backup in the NHL.

A little more insight into Stolie's injury. https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/9/8/16277038/anthony-stolarz-surgery-nhl-philadelphia-flyers-ahl-lehigh-valley-phantoms-goaltender-torn-meniscus
Kinda confusing though...

Last edited:

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
The only thing this really changes is Lyon gets another chance to run away with the AHL job. He had the opportunity and didn't do it last year though. If all goes well, Stolarz should still get a fair amount of work this year to evaluate him. I guess worst case is Lyon still looks like an AHL goalie, Stolarz has trouble getting back in form, and we roll Elliott/Neuvirth next season too. Stolarz is waivers eligible after this year, but Lyon still has an additional year. Not impossible for them to juggle Lyon and the 2 kids, with each getting some ECHL time (maybe Hart more so), for part of the season. Just sucks because this is the year the Flyers really have to make an evaluation on Stolarz.

72858bc3-9dc7-4b44-a76c-abdb6c2f8acc.gif

*misses and hits Neuvirth*

Somewhere Mike Smith still goes down.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

It would be nice if we got more detail on why they are doing another repair surgery rather than a partial meniscectomy which is the route Steve Mason went when his repair failed nine years ago. A repair seems to be better for long term health if it works, but it's a big if.

http://realsurgery-meniscustear.com/meniscus-repair/

Key Points

Surgeon opinions: Today, only about 10 percent of meniscus tears can be treated by meniscus repair. Meniscus repair is an option only if the patient is young and the site of the tear has good blood flow.

Failure rates are significant, and patients need a surgeon with extensive experience in meniscus repairs; not just meniscectomy.

Most meniscus tears cannot be repaired. To heal after a repair the tear needs good blood flow, and most tears don’t have this. Also, meniscus repair is usually limited to only younger patients. Recovery is much more involved and lengthy – starting on crutches and followed by 3-6 months of gradual recovery. A stable knee is important, so ligament injuries like ACL have to be addressed too.

Surgeons estimated that the portion of tears repaired today is about 10%. They expected this to grow, but they thought the portion in the future would still be limited to about 15%. Unsuccessful repairs, about 10-20%, require a second procedure, either another repair or a meniscectomy.

Surgeons said that meniscus repair is considerably more technically demanding than partial meniscectomy. They also said there are wide differences in surgeon skills for this procedure, so having a highly experienced surgeon is important.

Last edited:

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
I know it would be kind of a let down but I really wouldn't be against the Flyers using one of their first round picks next year to pcik the best goalie available, who ever that may be. If there arent any that immediately jump out I wouldn't mind waiting until rounds 2 or 3 but if there is a big name goalie prospect I think we should just continue stacking the deck.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I partially expected Stolie on the outs next year, just a gut feeling, this certainly won't help him.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I know it would be kind of a let down but I really wouldn't be against the Flyers using one of their first round picks next year to pcik the best goalie available, who ever that may be. If there arent any that immediately jump out I wouldn't mind waiting until rounds 2 or 3 but if there is a big name goalie prospect I think we should just continue stacking the deck.
With Sandstrom and Carter in the pipeline there's no need to panic about the depth that the Flyers have in goal. They also have a well regarded Russian prospect. If a goalie is the BPA for them in round one when they select, then they ok but there's no need to reach.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Even if you pick a goalie in the 1st round, he's still not going to be ready for 3 years or so.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
We didn't view Stolarz as our likely best chance at a future starting goalie, so why does this change our entire goalie prospect pool? Take out Stolarz, and it's still among the best. Using a 1st round pick on a goalie is playing with fire. It's the most difficult position to draft with the longest development arc. I'm not even a big fan of drafting goalies in the 2nd barring specific circumstances. As was said, we're talking 3 years minimum (probably 4 or 5) before we'd see that prospect even hit the NHL. Hextall always likes to draft 1 goalie, and he probably will. Just in the mid-late rounds. That's more than good enough.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Taking out Oettinger the last goalie taken in the first round was Samsonov in 2015. He's entering his third year in the KHL since being drafted.

There isn't a goalie as advanced as those two right now & if one emerges he still won't be any help for a while anyway.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hextall has drafted 5 goalies and signed 1 College FA

Only 2014 is the year he didn't. He's definitely stacking the deck as much as he can. I'd be shocked if he doesn't grab 1 every year.

Sandstrom
Tomek
Hart
Ustimenko
Fedotov
Lyon

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If anything, it would make the idea of acquiring someone young like Pickard or Mrazek, as we posited back in expansion, even more appealing in hindsight. But a 2018 draft pick does nothing.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
We didn't view Stolarz as our likely best chance at a future starting goalie, so why does this change our entire goalie prospect pool? Take out Stolarz, and it's still among the best. Using a 1st round pick on a goalie is playing with fire. It's the most difficult position to draft with the longest development arc. I'm not even a big fan of drafting goalies in the 2nd barring specific circumstances. As was said, we're talking 3 years minimum (probably 4 or 5) before we'd see that prospect even hit the NHL. Hextall always likes to draft 1 goalie, and he probably will. Just in the mid-late rounds. That's more than good enough.

I viewed Stolarz as my hope for the transitional G, taking over from one of Neuvirth or Elliott and being the one to displace by Sandstrom or Hart.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The reason I asked, is that the hope would be that Stolarz would continue his development, and push for the backup role next year. That seems less likely to happen if he is taking months off.

But what his loss is, is Lyons gain I guess. Maybe he will take he next step too.

My thinking was that at least Lyon is waiver exempt next year whereas Stolarz is not. So it's decision time with him next year. Beat out Neuvirth, or waived and possibly lost.

I guess they could sign Sandstrom and let him play in the SHL if he is getting a starter role. Then let Lyon and Hart be in the AHL.

I would not waste a 1st on a goalie ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad