Stockton Heat Become the Calgary Wranglers

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
BUT THE ECHL MIGHT STILL OWN THE WRANGLERS TRADEMARK (despite Calgary being in Canada, and thus, you know... not subject to US Trademark and Copyright laws...)!!!!!

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
That's the logo? Normally I don't expect much from teams owned by their NHL affiliate but no effort was put into this at all.
It's actually pretty clever... it's a good mashup of the old WHL Wranglers logo with elements from the Flames look.

3050043_64f2c0b6-08c3-4b32-87ee-92f12c4e6ac4_1200x630.jpg

I get the sense that the Flames aren't putting too much effort into all of this, though. They waited until August to announce the team's name and logo, and as far as I can tell there is still no ticket pricing/purchase information up on the website. There isn't even a team website up yet. Honestly, at the rate things are going they might as well tack an extra $200 on every Flames season ticket package and just give all of their STHs an AHL season ticket!

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
It's actually pretty clever... it's a good mashup of the old WHL Wranglers logo with elements from the Flames look.

I get the sense that the Flames aren't putting too much effort into all of this, though. They waited until August to announce the team's name and logo, and as far as I can tell there is still no ticket pricing/purchase information up on the website. There isn't even a team website up yet. Honestly, at the rate things are going they might as well tack an extra $200 on every Flames season ticket package and just give all of their STHs an AHL season ticket!

If, say, the Flames have 8,000 NHL season ticketholders, that'd raise $1.6M in "ticket revenue" - probably far more than they did annually (or maybe in total!) in Stockton, Adirondack, or the Quad Cities, and enough to cover most, if not all, of the AHL player payroll for the season. Make it $400 and it funds the AHL club for the entire year.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
If, say, the Flames have 8,000 NHL season ticketholders, that'd raise $1.6M in "ticket revenue" - probably far more than they did annually (or maybe in total!) in Stockton, Adirondack, or the Quad Cities, and enough to cover most, if not all, of the AHL player payroll for the season. Make it $400 and it funds the AHL club for the entire year.

Honestly. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. To most NHL STHs, a couple hundred bucks is not a big deal. And I'm sure most wouldn't mind a deal like that. Those who aren't interested can just resell their tickets or whatever. Win win. :)

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Honestly. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. To most NHL STHs, a couple hundred bucks is not a big deal. And I'm sure most wouldn't mind a deal like that. Those who aren't interested can just resell their tickets or whatever. Win win. :)
I'd imagine if they did something like this, people in better seats would see a steeper hike than those who hold up the roof. If I was a nosebleed STIX holder, I'd be livid about a $200 hike per ticket to fund the AHL team. If I were already playing $16K per seat, I'd probably not notice the difference.

Reactions: Roadhog

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I'd imagine if they did something like this, people in better seats would see a steeper hike than those who hold up the roof. If I was a nosebleed STIX holder, I'd be livid about a $200 hike per ticket to fund the AHL team. If I were already playing $16K per seat, I'd probably not notice the difference.

Sure, it can average out to $200 per STH with Rich Uncle Pennybags down in the club seats paying $500 extra while the guys up in the rafters who wear wooden barrels as clothes can kick in an extra $75.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

The AHL MIGHT BE a bit annoyed with the Flames just as they were with the Oilers abrupt move back to Edmonton from Toronto when that broke admist the NHL lockout of 2004/2005, and the Oilers were flat out warned w/ revocation of the franchise had they not picked a market, which is why OKC became the default selection, just because they rubber-stamped the relocation from Stockton to Calgary.... add in the release of the master schedule three weeks or so ago played a role in this as well... Everyone knew the Heat were a lame duck franchise going into last season.... despite their run and their 2nd successful season since 2001 in any market given the turnover/turmoil in resetting into a new market every other year.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The AHL MIGHT BE a bit annoyed with the Flames just as they were with the Oilers abrupt move back to Edmonton from Toronto when that broke admist the NHL lockout of 2004/2005, and the Oilers were flat out warned w/ revocation of the franchise had they not picked a market, which is why OKC became the default selection, just because they rubber-stamped the relocation from Stockton to Calgary.... add in the release of the master schedule three weeks or so ago played a role in this as well... Everyone knew the Heat were a lame duck franchise going into last season.... despite their run and their 2nd successful season since 2001 in any market given the turnover/turmoil in resetting into a new market every other year.

As I recall, the Road Runners actually did reasonably well in Edmonton back in 2004-05. So even though it was last minute, they were fairly successful. The Wranglers do not appear to be shaping up that way. I'm not sure what's going on behind the scenes but given the lack of any information on the team I'd have to imagine the Wranglers aren't moving a lot of tickets ahead of the season.

I wonder if we could see tiny crowds for the Wranglers this season, like 1,000 people a game or some such.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
As I recall, the Road Runners actually did reasonably well in Edmonton back in 2004-05. So even though it was last minute, they were fairly successful. The Wranglers do not appear to be shaping up that way. I'm not sure what's going on behind the scenes but given the lack of any information on the team I'd have to imagine the Wranglers aren't moving a lot of tickets ahead of the season.

I wonder if we could see tiny crowds for the Wranglers this season, like 1,000 people a game or some such.
again, CSEC has a hand in that, just as they've had since Abbotsford, remember Vancouver wanted that market and the Flames said no (keep in mind at that time, the Canucks didn't/weren't yet having an AHL Affiliation/franchise they controlled until the decision to leave Utica after 8 seasons was a mutual separation even though it had been a topic ever since the Canucks selected the Comets as their affiliate) it's why Abbotsford went dark in any league after the Flames ceded that market.... the Devils are there now in Utica because they own the franchise, hence why the Comets colors were adapted to NJ's, even though Esche operates the franchise in Utica. it's just the business MO the AHL has employed since the Heat (Wranglers) landed in Stockton and the Western shift that occurred much like how Manitoba was exiled to St. John's when TNSE restarted the Jets when they arrived from Atlanta...

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
again, CSEC has a hand in that, just as they've had since Abbotsford, remember Vancouver wanted that market and the Flames said no (keep in mind at that time, the Canucks didn't/weren't yet having an AHL Affiliation/franchise they controlled until the decision to leave Utica after 8 seasons was a mutual separation even though it had been a topic ever since the Canucks selected the Comets as their affiliate) it's why Abbotsford went dark in any league after the Flames ceded that market.... the Devils are there now in Utica because they own the franchise, hence why the Comets colors were adapted to NJ's, even though Esche operates the franchise in Utica. it's just the business MO the AHL has employed since the Heat (Wranglers) landed in Stockton and the Western shift that occurred much like how Manitoba was exiled to St. John's when TNSE restarted the Jets when they arrived from Atlanta...
Not even sure where to begin with all of this to be honest but I'll stupidly give it a try...What exactly did Calgary say No to with regards to Vancouver? Vancouver not being in Abbotsford back then has nothing to do with why Abbotsford went dark...it had EVERYTHING to do with the fact that it was until recently an outpost that had a very unfavorable set of rules from the AHL regarding travel and teams playing out there...so much to the point that they were hemorrhaging money from day 1 and never recovered. Couple that with the territory being Canucks country being expected to support a Calgary team and it was a recipe for disaster. HAD it been a Vancouver farm team then it probably would've had a better chance at success and maybe the revenue might've at least allowed them to break even. But as it was asking the city of Abbotsford to make up the losses as per their agreement was the final knife that caused it to be no more

Reactions: Roadhog

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

You do know why the Edmonton Road Runners did reasonably well in Edmonton, right? It was the 2004-05 season....

It was the lockout in case you can't put 2 and 2 together...

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
You do know why the Edmonton Road Runners did reasonably well in Edmonton, right? It was the 2004-05 season....

It was the lockout in case you can't put 2 and 2 together...

LOL thank you for the explanation, as someone who went to Road Runners games I am glad that you finally solved the mystery for me after nearly 20 years

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
LOL thank you for the explanation, as someone who went to Road Runners games I am glad that you finally solved the mystery for me after nearly 20 years
this league can infuriate you at times..... with some of the weirdest "business" decisions.... it has and can turn fans off in current or past markets and yvw....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad