Prospect Info: Stockton Heat and Prospect Discussion Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don’t buy into theory that you are bad because of your line mates. You worked yourself into that situation, just like Monahan did in the NHL.
Pretty much this.

the man from the “Paris of the Prairies” seems like a mid-first-rounder who may well be available after 20th overall.

The biggest reason? Zary – while very “well-rounded” – does not do that many things at a high-end level. He is solid, or even, good, in almost every area, but not too much stands out in terms of skills or tools that present themselves to you as those of a future first line guy.

Don't get me wrong, he'll be a good middle six NHLer that can step in on a top line down the road, but you ideally would want him lower than top line.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Pretty much this.

Don't get me wrong, he'll be a good middle six NHLer that can step in on a top line down the road, but you ideally would want him lower than top line.
The reviews I saw like smahht scouting had him as a 2c. The comparison someone made was Horvat+ which would be a top end 2c. That is probably unlikely.

Reactions: teddygmr

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What report? The reports I saw said he did everything well except that he isn't particularly fast. So maybe Stankhoven was making HIM look good.
Here is one

'The biggest reason? Zary – while very “well-rounded” – does not do that many things at a high-end level. He is solid, or even, good, in almost every area, but not too much stands out in terms of skills or tools that present themselves to you as those of a future first line guy.'

I think he'll make it as a bottom 6 if he developed properly

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Here is one

'The biggest reason? Zary – while very “well-rounded” – does not do that many things at a high-end level. He is solid, or even, good, in almost every area, but not too much stands out in terms of skills or tools that present themselves to you as those of a future first line guy.'

I think he'll make it as a bottom 6 if he developed properly
A bad pick at 24 then. There are 6-7 players drafted after him with more potential than that.

Reactions: brakeyawself

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Lack of talent. He over achieved as a junior. It said so in his scouting report.

I don’t buy into theory that you are bad because of your line mates. You worked yourself into that situation, just like Monahan did in the NHL.
Do you believe this to be true in the inverse? Was Matt moulson a legit 30 goal scorer or do linemates only help and never hinder?

Reactions: teddygmr and DFF

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
I like reading threads of prospects from before they were drafted. That's usually where you'll find the most impartial analysis and from fans of junior hockey that are watching games in live times, because I sure am not.

Pegged as that traditional strong 2 way center, but man was he ever being gushed over by the WHL posters. Was getting top 3/5/10 shouts all throughout his D-1 and D-0. I agree I don't see gamebreaking skill or speed, but if he settles in as a cost controlled top 9 center with some special teams ability then it's a win of a draft pick imo.

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
1. Zary is a lot more similar to Tkachuk than Monahan. He likes having the puck on his stick in a way Monahan never did. The key difference is creativity and hands, Zary attempts Michigan goals once every few games. I can't emphasize enough how little he's like Monahan. I've never really been a Monahan fan. I like Zary. I've always been reminded of Brayden Schenn a bit.

2. He's playing in the bottom 6 because Stockton was on a roll by the time he was healthy. Frankly, he should have been played on the top line the second Ruzicka was called up because developing Zary > getting Glen Gawdin more ice time. Plus he already has chemistry with Phillips and will likely play with Pelletier in the future.

3. Zary didn't play on the same line as Stankoven in junior so I'd say it's pretty unlikely his scoring was influenced by him (not to mention that Stank went to the U18s last year so their games player have very little overlap). On top of that Zary's line played the top competition while Stankoven's played 2nd pairings.

4. Ultimately, he's a young 20 year old playing 3rd line minutes in the AHL and most people have already written him off because of it. He had 7 points in 9 games last year without any powerplay time; he didn't just get worse. Dylan Holloway actually plays big minutes and only has slightly better numbers. Same could be said for Sam Poulin who was taken a year earlier. I think people need to realize that linemates matter and that no 1st round picks are ever forced into the situation that he's in. They walk into the AHL on PP1 and in the top 6.

5. He might only be a winger at the NHL level (I think this is likely personally), or he might bust entirely but the idea that he only has bottom 6 upside is complete nonsense. He's got great hands, IQ and shooting. I see 0 reason he couldn't be a 50+ point player at the NHL level.

Edited for clarity I hope.

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Don’t think people appreciate just how hard it is to come back from a broken bone, especially one like a foot for a hockey player.

D736EFEB-0041-4C79-8710-4420E15C99A2.png
5EABDE02-F49E-4BBA-84D6-077721DA5E14.png

First picture was taken last season when he was with Stockton. Second picture was taken this season. That’s a massive change in his body type. Couple that with limited opportunity this season in the lineup and most players from his draft can’t even play in the AHL yet, and his numbers make more sense with context.

How quick people are to forget he was almost a point per game in the AHL last season, and was in the hunt for leading the WHL in scoring before his injury. If he was only 2 months younger, he’d be dominating the WHL right now and we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think it's easy to look at his stats and be disappointed.

But you look at his actual month by month progression coming back from injury and it's noticeably improved. He was barely scoring at all for like the first two months, but now he's at least 0.66ppg roughly since then, despite playing not top minutes.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
1. Zary is a lot more similar to Tkachuk than Monahan. He likes having the puck on his stick in a way Monahan never did. The key difference is creativity and hands, Zary attempts Michigan goals once every few games. I can't emphasize enough how little he's like Monahan. I've never really been a Monahan fan. I like Zary. I've always been reminded of Brayden Schenn a bit.

2. He's playing in the bottom 6 because Stockton was on a roll by the time he was healthy. Frankly, he should have been played on the top line the second Ruzicka was called up because developing Zary > getting Glen Gawdin more ice time. Plus he already has chemistry with Phillips and will likely play with Pelletier in the future.

3. Zary didn't play on the same line as Stankoven in junior so I'd say it's pretty unlikely his scoring was influenced by him (not to mention that Stank went to the U18s last year so their games player have very little overlap). On top of that Zary's line played the top competition while Stankoven's played 2nd pairings.

4. Ultimately, he's a young 20 year old playing 3rd line minutes in the AHL and most people have already written him off because of it. He had 7 points in 9 games last year without any powerplay time; he didn't just get worse. Dylan Holloway actually plays big minutes and only has slightly better numbers. Same could be said for Sam Poulin who was taken a year earlier. I think people need to realize that linemates matter and that no 1st round picks are ever forced into the situation that he's in. They walk into the AHL on PP1 and in the top 6.

5. He might only be a winger at the NHL level (I think this is likely personally), or he might bust entirely but the idea that he only has bottom 6 upside is complete nonsense. He's got great hands, IQ and shooting. I see 0 reason he couldn't be a 50+ point player at the NHL level.

Edited for clarity I hope.

Good analysis here.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I can't comment too specifically on prospect discourse cause I readily admit I can't really watch, and even if I did couldn't provide anything other than basic "good game/bad game" type stuff, but as far as counting stats go for Zary.

Last season he had the 7 in 9 stretch and I beleive that was on a line with Ruzicka and Phillips. In that stretch he starts off with nothing in 2 games, goes 7 in 5, then does nothing the last 2 games points wise.

From here on it's just mapping info through months
Zary is injured in training camp so probably circa September/October, and comes back in late November and the stars are as follows
November: 1 goal, 1 point in 7 games
December: 3 goals, 7 points in 9 games
January: 1 assist, 1 point in 7 games
February: 1 goal, 5 points in 8 games
March: 4 goals, 7 points in 12 games

So off the numbers, tough to say beyond being very hot and cold which... idk, to me that adds up for a rookie playing in the bottom 6 in his age 20 season. Especially if the comparison jumping off point is Pelletier, who was uninjured, and as a 21 year old rookie is playing with Phillips, is destined to perform much greater.

At least just going off of his AHL production I'll be concerned year if: he isn't given a better opportunity because it suggests something unseen the coaches dislike in his game or what not, or if he does not produce. Just looking at his rank in rookie scoring he's surrounded by a bunch of '99 birthdays. Ideally you want him to "blow up" right away but again, I'm going to wait to pass non-watching judgement until he gets a real shot in his age 21 season like Pelletier.

Reactions: teddygmr

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Read something earlier today, apparently Wolf is one of 5 AHL rookie goaltenders since 2000 to hit 30 wins (the others include Rinne, Pavelec, Stalock, and Nicklas Svedberg). Kid's definitely a gamer.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Tuulola is interesting to me. I think camp a few years ago he was stealing the show. He's big and fast and plays aggressive and has some skill. Was playing in Liiga as a teenager and producing.

Wonder if he can break into the bottom 6 next season.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Tuulola is interesting to me. I think camp a few years ago he was stealing the show. He's big and fast and plays aggressive and has some skill. Was playing in Liiga as a teenager and producing.

He usually stands out positively when I watch but he's also 24 and under 0.5 ppg in the AHL on the best team. Even a guy like Dwight King was more productive in his AHL time.

Darryl is the coach now though and likes his beef so maybe he gets some 4th line time at some point. The boy is thicc for sure, listed at 225 but I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 240. Definitely a load to handle on the boards and in front of the net. Surprising speed and hard shot as well. Really quite a good athlete but a so-so pro hockey player.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

I'd put the chances of that at slim.

He didn't have a great 1st half, and I really wondered if he'd even be signed again. He's had a much better 2nd half though. He seems to get alot of PK time too.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad