Prospect Info: Stockton Heat & All-Purpose Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks for the writeups WWE.

Sigh...you'd like to hear the farm is doing well but we did take some of the crop away. Those goalie stats yikes.
The goalie stats might be bad, but I wouldn't but almost any blame on them. They were both hung out to dry badly in both games. I am hoping the 2nd and 3rd periods of the game against the Reign are a positive sign

Also really hope Valieve and Taormina get into the lineup soon.... or in Taormins's case, get healthy and on the roster

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sad to hear that Kylington is still playing like.... Kylington. Lots of talent little smarts. Time to give up on him and package him in a trade deal?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Sad to hear that Kylington is still playing like.... Kylington. Lots of talent little smarts. Time to give up on him and package him in a trade deal?

I can't imagine we get anything of value for him. Other teams have scouts and can see that he is a trainwreck defensively.

Maybe you luck out and get some scout/coach that thinks they can fix him but even in that case the guy we get back isn't likely to help much.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The cupboards are as bare as can be. We shouldn't be trading picks and prospects at all in the next 2/3 years if we can help it

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yes because two games is an adequate sample size.
Not 2 games. 172 games. The guy is starting his 4th season in the AHL and he still doesn't get it. Same issues as when he was drafted. We should keep him until EVERYONE in the league knows what his problem is and that he's unfixable?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I said package deal... Say with someone like Bennett and Stone later on in the season if Bennett doesn't improve, Kylington is playing like Kylington, and Valimaki and Andersson are proving to be future of the Flames defense.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Not 2 games. 172 games. The guy is starting his 4th season in the AHL and he still doesn't get it. Same issues as when he was drafted. We should keep him until EVERYONE in the league knows what his problem is and that he's unfixable?
You say this as if there's been zero progress in his game, which is complete and utter crap.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Andersson and Valimaki are already with the main roster
They have a combined 13 NHL games. Being on the main roster doesn't mean they aren't prospects anymore. We have no idea if Valimaki will stick and Andersson is an injury replacement at the moment.

Also even if they graduate, we are in good shape. Hanifin is the same age as Andersson and Valimaki is 2 years younger. Hamonic and Brodie are each only 28.

While it's great to have a minor league team with potential future defensemen, our cupboards aren't so much bare on the blueline as it's been cooked and is not made into frozen dinners for us to use.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You say this as if there's been zero progress in his game, which is complete and utter crap.
There has been progress in his game but not as much as one would expect after spending 3 years in the AHL. I just hope we don't end up with another Wotherspoon on our hands... each year hoping for the next big step and it just never happens and in the end you have nothing of value.

Here's a very insightful analysis of Kylington's skills and flaws. Written Aug 2017.
FlamesNation Top 20 Prospects: #5 Oliver Kylington

Calgary Flames development coach Ray Edwards noted one big improvement Kylington needs to make (that they’re confident he’ll be able to) is eliminating big mistakes from his game.

The thing with Oliver, and we’ve talked to him about this in his exit meetings, we talked about it with him when we left at development camp, was he has the ability to make a lot of plays. The thing he has to eliminate from his game, is he has to eliminate the big gaffe. He has the confidence to make plays, the problem with Oliver is he wants to make every play. There’s sometimes he just has to live to fight another day and make a simple play. But he has the confidence and the want to make really difficult plays. And he can make them, but there’s times when you have to manage the game, manage the situation and live to fight another day.
Stockton Heat head coach Ryan Huska pointed out how young Kylington is and how much he’s improved since he arrived in the AHL as an 18-year-old.

There have been significant changes in Oliver’s game in regards to how he plays with and without the puck, how he is offensively, how he is defensively. He’s a much more complete player than what he was when he first came here. Now is the time where, whether or not he’s 20 or 30, he has to find the urgency to take the next step now where he has to be a more dominant guy each and every night that he’s on the ice in regards to what he’s doing with the puck and the decisions that he’s making.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's funny to think. But our prospect system absolutely blows with Andersson, Dube and Valimaki all making the jump the NHL. I know we were ranked like bottom 5 (LOL, 3 NHL'ers with high upside, sure, sure) but now we have to be bottom 3.

Essentially what's left in our system at the professional level is:
Parsons - Decent goalie prospect who hasn't figured it out yet.
Gillies - Goalie prospect who hasn't figured it out yet, or if he will ever.
Kylington - Run-of-the-mill offensive D prospect that can't figure it out yet.
Foo - Depth winger prospect.
Klimchuk - Depth-Depth winger prospect.
Rychel - Depth-Depth-Depth winger prospect.
Lazar - Rehabilitation prospect.
Mangiapane - Decent scoring winger prospect. I think he'll be an NHLer.
Pollock - Depth-Depth-Depth centre prospect.
Phillips - High ceiling, low floor prospect.

Essentially in the system, if things work out perfectly, there are:
1 NHL starter
1 NHL backup
1 Top 6D
2 top 6F
1 Middle 6 F
Bunch of fringe/bottom guys.

I know we got some skill guys at the draft last year, but those guys are still uber raw. No idea what we have there. Z and Pospisil look very promising, and Pettersen hasn't played yet I don't think. Dunno. System looks really raw right now.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Cupboard looks bare because of the graduated prospects and found money like Fox in trade value. Graduated prospects also mean we don't need prospects knocking at the door right away. It is in such a situation where having projects on the farm is great. I have no doubt Treliving will be restocking the cupboard in the coming drafts.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It's funny to think. But our prospect system absolutely blows with Andersson, Dube and Valimaki all making the jump the NHL. I know we were ranked like bottom 5 (LOL, 3 NHL'ers with high upside, sure, sure) but now we have to be bottom 3.

Essentially what's left in our system at the professional level is:
Parsons - Decent goalie prospect who hasn't figured it out yet.
Gillies - Goalie prospect who hasn't figured it out yet, or if he will ever.
Kylington - Run-of-the-mill offensive D prospect that can't figure it out yet.
Foo - Depth winger prospect.
Klimchuk - Depth-Depth winger prospect.
Rychel - Depth-Depth-Depth winger prospect.
Lazar - Rehabilitation prospect.
Mangiapane - Decent scoring winger prospect. I think he'll be an NHLer.
Pollock - Depth-Depth-Depth centre prospect.
Phillips - High ceiling, low floor prospect.

Essentially in the system, if things work out perfectly, there are:
1 NHL starter
1 NHL backup
1 Top 6D
2 top 6F
1 Middle 6 F
Bunch of fringe/bottom guys.

I know we got some skill guys at the draft last year, but those guys are still uber raw. No idea what we have there. Z and Pospisil look very promising, and Pettersen hasn't played yet I don't think. Dunno. System looks really raw right now.

Both Pospisil and Zagorodniy are around 2ppg in their respective leagues and Koumontsis has 2 points in his first two NCAA games.

I will give our scouting staff the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Both Pospisil and Zagorodniy are around 2ppg in their respective leagues and Koumontsis has 2 points in his first two NCAA games.

I will give our scouting staff the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

They've demonstrated recently they can find some sleepers.
They're just raw. I was talking Pro levels. She's bare at this time. Big time bare.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Now that the Flames overall age is so young and all our good prospect s are playing the Flames will have plenty of time restock the cupboard. Not concerned at all. We'll be fine.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I also don't get why some are so down on Kylington. It is as if he's a failure because he hasn't made the jump after 3 years in the A. Young players all develop at different rates and it is tough to dislodge an incumbent off of the big club's roster. Especially when your left D is Giordano, Hanifin, and some no name called Valimaki. And even then Valimaki had to beat out another guy, Kulak, that just made the club full time last year (beating out Matt Bartowski). The Shill will continue to improve and if he can't make the club due to its depth, I'm sure Tre will move him to where he can play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad