Prospect Info: Stockton Heat & All-Purpose Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Could he get a cup of tea in Stockton? That way he is given an idea what to expect in the A and can work on that in the dub. I forget what I was reading, but it essentially said that the cup of coffee games were important to many players development wise to get an idea the level of play they need to hone their skills do when working in a lower level league. (ie: different level of speed, physicality, pace etc.) I think it was an interview with Foo who said that part of his failures at the NHL level were due to him being star struck as opposed to playing his game. He said he saw significant improvement once he realized the other players were just players and his tools could be effective against them.
I think he'll get the chance, but I think his rookie pro season will turn out much like Freeland's, spot duty in the A and some ECHL time until he's sent back with the assurance that if the Riyals aren't contenders, they'll move Phillips to one

Reactions: Fig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Updated Stockton Heat Training Camp roster

Goaltenders

McDonald, Mason (NHL two-way)
Parsons, Tyler (NHL two-way)
Schneider, Nick (NHL two-way)

Defensemen
Doetzel, Kayle (Tryout)
Healey, Josh (NHL two-way)
Falk, Justin (Tryout)
Klimek, Jordan (Tryout)
Kylington, Oliver (NHL two-way)
O'Brien, Andrew (AHL deal)
Ollas Mattsson, Adam (AHL deal)
Paliotta, Michael (AHL deal)
Raskob, Willie (AHL deal)
Samuelsson, Philip (Tryout)
Siemens, Duncan (Tryout)
Watson, Cliff (Tryout)
Wideman, Nate (Tryout)

Forwards
Auger, Justin (Tryout)
Dziurzynski, Darian (Tryout)
Ehliz, Yasin (NHL two-way)
Ernst, Jordan (Tryout)
Fischer, Zach (AHL deal)
Foo, Spencer (NHL two-way)
Gawdin, Glenn (NHL two-way)
Graovac, Tyler (NHL two-way) if he clears waivers
Klimchuk, Morgan (NHL two-way) if he clears waivers
Kujawinski, Ryan (Tryout)
Lomberg, Ryan (NHL two-way)
McMurtry, Mike (AHL deal)
Nevins, Jack (Tryout)
Phillips, Matthew (NHL two-way)
Pollock, Brett (NHL two-way)
Quine, Alan (NHL two-way) if he clears waivers
Robinson, Buddy (NHL two-way) if he clears waivers
Rychel, Kerby (NHL two-way) if he clears waivers
Sabourin, Scott (Tryout)
Shaw, Logan (Tryout)
VanWormer, Jared (Tryout)

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Pretty pumped. Going to see the Ruzicka and Sarnia Sting here i Owen Sound next week. Hoping for a big game.

Just a little taste of live hockey before I see the big club in Toronto on the 29th of September.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Updated Stockton Heat Training Camp roster after Hogstrom's demotion

Goaltenders

Defensemen
Doetzel, Kayle (Tryout)
Falk, Justin (Tryout)
Hogstrom, Marcus (NHL two-way)
Klimek, Jordan (Tryout)
Siemens, Duncan (Tryout)
Watson, Cliff (Tryout)
Wideman, Nate (Tryout)

Forwards
Auger, Justin (Tryout)
Ernst, Jordan (Tryout)
Fischer, Zach (AHL deal)
Graovac, Tyler (NHL two-way) if he clears waivers
Klimchuk, Morgan (NHL two-way) if he clears waivers
Nevins, Jack (Tryout)
Quine, Alan (NHL two-way) if he clears waivers
Robinson, Buddy (NHL two-way) if he clears waivers
Rychel, Kerby (NHL two-way) if he clears waivers
Sabourin, Scott (Tryout)
Shaw, Logan (Tryout)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Heat lead 1-0 after 1 period of their first preseason game.

Watson has the goal

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Heat ended up losing Saturday, after Schneider came in, the Heat lost their 1-0 lead and fell 3-1 with the third goal being an empty netter. Schneider stopped 10 of 12 shots.

They lost against tonight, 4-3. Parsons stopped 45 of 49 shots. Graovac had a pair of goals for the Heat. Fischer scored the other goal.

So, while they went 0-2 in their two preseason games, McDonald and Parsons had solid outings and Graovac put a couple in after having alot of plays die on his stick in Flames camp.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Updated Stockton Heat Training Camp roster after Kulak trade

Goaltenders

Defensemen
Doetzel, Kayle (Tryout)
Falk, Justin (Tryout)
Klimek, Jordan (Tryout)
Siemens, Duncan (Tryout)
Taormina, Matt (NHL two-way deal)
Valiev, Rinat (NHL two-way deal)
Watson, Cliff (Tryout)
Wideman, Nate (Tryout)

Forwards
Auger, Justin (Tryout)
Ernst, Jordan (Tryout)
Fischer, Zach (AHL deal)
Graovac, Tyler (NHL two-way)
Klimchuk, Morgan (NHL two-way)
Nevins, Jack (Tryout)
Quine, Alan (NHL two-way)
Robinson, Buddy (NHL two-way)
Rychel, Kerby (NHL two-way)
Sabourin, Scott (Tryout)
Shaw, Logan (Tryout)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Assuming we see Gillies, Andersson, Peluso and Mangiapane join the Heat; the roster could look something like this:

Mangiapane - Graovac - Robinson
Klimchuk - Quine - Foo
Phillips - Gawdin - Ehliz
Rychel - Lomberg - Peluso
(due to veteran rules, I could see the Heat not dressing Rychel & Peluso on the same night and subbing in Pollock/Fischer as needed)
Extra/ECHL: Pollock, Peluso, McMurtry

Toarmina - Andersson
Kylington - Valiev
Andrew O'Brien - Palliota
Extra/ECHL: Healey, Hogstrom, Ollas Mattsson

Gillies
Parsons

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Assuming we see Gillies, Andersson, Peluso and Mangiapane join the Heat; the roster could look something like this:

Mangiapane - Graovac - Robinson
Klimchuk - Quine - Foo
Phillips - Gawdin - Ehliz
Rychel - Lomberg - Peluso
(due to veteran rules, I could see the Heat not dressing Rychel & Peluso on the same night and subbing in Pollock/Fischer as needed)
Extra/ECHL: Pollock, Peluso, McMurtry

Toarmina - Andersson
Kylington - Valiev
Andrew O'Brien - Palliota
Extra/ECHL: Healey, Hogstrom, Ollas Mattsson

Gillies
Parsons

I feel like the defense has taken a slight step back, but holy shit do I like that Forward core a lot better than what we had at the end of last year.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I feel like the defense has taken a slight step back, but holy **** do I like that Forward core a lot better than what we had at the end of last year.
The defense hasn't taken a step back at all. Taormina was AHL defenseman of the year 2 years ago, both he and Andersson were all-stars last year. Kylington will hopefully improve some. Valiev is a stay at home guy that should fit well with Kylington, like Hanomic with Hanifin. Palliotta could probably play top 4 and O'Brien will swap out with the kids. Hogstrom also could easily be good enough to be top 4 as well. It's the best defensive group ever assembled in Stockton.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Updated Stockton Heat Training Camp roster after Flames/Heat roster cuts

Goaltenders (3)

Gillies, Jon (NHL two-way)

Defensemen (13)
Andersson, Rasmus (NHL two-way)
Doetzel, Kayle (Tryout)
Falk, Justin (Tryout)
Taormina, Matt (NHL two-way deal)
Valiev, Rinat (NHL two-way deal)
Watson, Cliff (Tryout)

Forwards (17)
Auger, Justin (Tryout)
Fischer, Zach (AHL deal)
Graovac, Tyler (NHL two-way)
Klimchuk, Morgan (NHL two-way)
Mangiapane, Andrew (NHL two-way)
Peluso, Anthony (NHL two-way)
Quine, Alan (NHL two-way)
Robinson, Buddy (NHL two-way)
Rychel, Kerby (NHL two-way)
Sabourin, Scott (Tryout)

Only 3 PTOs remain in camp, Falk, Auger and Sabourin. In the AHL you can play regular season games under a PTO, so even if not signed to AHL contracts, they could still appear for Stockton once the season starts.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks for the update! I like knowing what's going on with the Heat.
It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few days. I suspect McDonald will be headed to KC soon. Any of the remaining PTOs are AHL contract candidates IMO, although I suspect we just sign one or two defensemen and both forwards. I also suspect we will see 4-5 defensemen cut and/or sent to KC, as well as 2-3 forwards seeing the same fate

My gut tells me we see something like this.....
  • Samuelsson signs AHL deal and stays with Heat
  • 1 of Doetzel or Watson sign AHL deal and get sent to KC (I lean towards Watson, but there is organizational history with Doetzel), the other will be released
  • Falk is released
  • Ollas Mattsson & Josh Healey are sent to KC
  • Sabourin and Auger both sign AHL deals and get sent to KC
  • McMurtry is sent to KC

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There is no sugar coating it, the season opener for the Heat was nothing short of brutal. They completely shit the bed and embarrassed themselves in an 8-1 loss to the Bakersfield Condors. The Heat gave up 4 power play goals and 2 shirt handed goals.

Parsons got the start for the Heat and gave up 5 goals on 20 shots before being pulled just shy of the game's midway point. Gillies came in and gave up 3 on 13 shots.

That said, the Heat did not dress their best lineup by any means, especially on the blueline. There was no Valiev or Taormina, Andersson had been recalled. There was no Falk or O'Brien either.

I haven't had the chance to watch the game yet and I'm not sure I even want to :help:

Reactions: CamPopplestone

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Well if you watch it, and anyone on the team looks good, that's a good sign for that player

It's all good though we got our Savior Lazar coming

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Heat lead 4-3 with 4 minutes left in the 1st. Again, things don't look good on paper when it comes to defense and goaltending (I won't be watching the game until after the Flames game), Gillies has allowed 3 goals on 8 shots. Foo, Klimchuk, O'Brien & Gawdin have the goals

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
and it's 4-4 now after 20

As a roster note, the only change on defense is O'Brien in for Doetzel.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Matt Taormina is still not listed on the Heat roster, but Valiev is. I tweeted to the Heat asking if he was going to be joining the team still, hopefully they reply.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Finally getting time to watch the Heat games from this weekend. I'm 5:30 into the first and AHLtv is significantly better than AHL live was in terms of video quality. The audio quality is good but the volume is very low, I have both the volume from the site and my laptop at 100% and it's not remotely loud, even with Kisker doing the commentating. The game time is also jumping, not sure if that is an AHLtv issue or due to a problem with the arena scoreboard/feed.

As for the game itself. I know this is going to be an ugly outcome, but thus far, the Heat have actually been the better team. Montoya has faced the more difficult shots, the Heat even controlled play on the PK. Although Phillips already got popped.

edit: Also, the feed on at least this broadcast on AHLtv is the raw in arena feed without all the in rink jumbotron extras, so we're not missing every single faceoff. I love this.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Game 1: Stockton Heat at Bakersfield Condors

FIRST PERIOD

BAK goal, 1-0 Bakersfield. 10:58
- Heat lose the draw the initial draw of the Bakersfield PP, Condors keep it in at the line. Hebig gets puck, while left alone in the slot, takes advantage of the screen and scores high glove side.

About 13:30... Pollock just completely destroyed Josh Curry with a gorgeous, 100% clean open ice hit.

SECOND PERIOD

BAK goal, 2-0 Bakersfield. 0:27
- Heat PP, poor pass by Paliotta causes play to go into the Heat zone. Play goes behind the net, Heat leave Patrick Russell alone in the slot, pass comes to him and not only does he get off the quick shot but also has time to get his own rebound and score completely untouched.

BAK goal, 3-0 Bakersfield. 4:44
- Condors powerplay, slapper from the blueline by Caleb Jones makes it through heavy traffic and scores.

BAK goal, 4-0 Bakersfield. 6:11
- Condors PP. Kind of your typical PP goal, Condors get the PKers moving, shot from the blueline gets through and Benson buries the rebound from in close.

BAK goal, 5-0 Bakersfield. 8:32
- Condors PP. Absolutely moronic penalty by Mangiapane, offensive zone penalty and just stands there repeatedly shoving the Condors defenseman behind the net (he's literally not even doing anything) until he gets called. I mean, what the f***?.... Callahan scores on a tip in.

Heat change goalies after the 5th goal, none of which I'd blame Parsons for. He was absolutely hung out to dry by poor discipline and shoddy defensive coverage.

BAK goal, 6-0 Bakersfield. 14:10
- Condors have offensive zone pressure, Esposito draws two players to him leaving Callahan wide open for the one timer and then Ollas Mattsson deflects the puck past Gillies. Kisker said it wasn't deflected, but AOM's body language tells me definitely got a piece, he clearly blamed himself.

BAK goal, 7-0 Bakersfield. 15:14
- Shot from the blue with a fantastic deflection by Patrick Russell.

THIRD PERIOD

BAK goal, 8-0 Bakersfield. 1:28
- Heat PP. Kylington fumbles the puck at the offensive blueline, Malone strips him of the puck and scores on the breakaway.

STK goal, 8-1 Bakersfield. 4:39
- Great flip pass from Robinson to Rychel, giving a partial breakaway. Kerby pounds a slapper from the circle and scores.

FINAL SCORE
Condors 8, Heat 1

Last edited:
Reactions: Czarchuk

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Game 1: Ontario Reign (0-1-0) at Stockton Heat (0-1-0)

FIRST PERIOD

STK goal, 1-0 Stockton. 4:52
- Paliotta had his shot from the blueline blocked, Foo picked the puck up at the side of the net and did a quick wrap around to bury it.

STK goal, 2-0 Stockton. 6:13
- Robinson keeps the puck in at the line, gets it to Quine on the half boards, slides a pass into the low slot for O'Brien who takes it a couple steps to the far side and tucks it past Budaj. Robinson never got an assist on the play, a Reign player may have touched the puck but certainly not enough to justify Robinson not getting an assist.

ONT goal, 2-1 Stockton. 6:25
- Reign generate a 3 on 2 immediately after the draw at center ice. The puck carrier get the puck up on the far half boards, he gets the puck across to the trailer Eyssimont as Rychel catches up to him. Kerby hauls him down but Eyissimont manages to get a weird shot off that sneaks in far side, just over the left pad.

STK goal, 3-1 Stockton. 8:09
- Beautiful goal by Gawdin. He steals the puck just inside the Reign blueline, pivots to avoid a Reign player. then gets the puck to the circle and fires a great shot to score.

STK goal, 4-1 Stockton. 10:17
- Terrible pass by Matt Roy through the low slot, Foo manages to steal the puck, who slides it to Klimchuk in the slot who makes no mistake.

ONT goal, 4-2 Stockton. 11:41
- A poor clearing attempt and a giveaway behind the net give the Reign sustained pressure, get the puck to Maillet who is left alone in the slot.

ONT goal, 4-3 Stockton. 13:02
- Sustained pressure on the PP, Heat can't clear multiple times. Brickley fake a shot in the left circle, completely fooling Kylington, then beats Gillies high glove side.

ONT goal, 4-4 Tie Game. 13:26
- 3 on 5, Heat leave Sutter, the trailer wide open and he wires a one time from the top of the circle.

SECOND PERIOD

STK goal, 5-4 Stockton. 0:52
- Heat put out 5 forwards for the PP to start the 3rd. Quine is playing the point. Klimchuk from the puck to Lazar in the corner, who passes it back (this gets the PKers spreading out), Klimmer with a hard pass to Quine who quickly gets it to Foo high in the near corcle for the one timers and hammers it home.

ONT goal, 5-5 Tie Game. 6:30
- Heat struggle clearng the puck again, Rempal take a wrister from the blueline, it goes through 3 or 4 bodies before it beats Gillies.

THIRD PERIOD

No Scoring

- Gillies made 12 saves in the third as the Reign controlled play most of the period.

OVERTIME

- it looked like Quine had it won just 30 seconds into overtime but was robbed by Budaj. When the Reign cleared the puck into the Heat zone, all 3 Heat players were in deep. Robinson gave Quine a little push so he could get back to the puck first as Kylington floated back into the defensive zone. I get frustrated alot with Kylington because of his misadventures at the offensive blueline that result in odd man rushes against, but this crap really has me livid. It's f***ing overtime, skate your ass off you f***ing asshole.

ONT goal, 6-5 Ontario. 2:09
- Not happy with this goal.... all 3 Heat players caught deep, Kylington is actually hustling back this time, Eyssimont has a clear break with Lintuniemi just ahead of Kylington who is catching up quick. Lintuniemi ran a slight pick forcing Kylington to go wide. As he did so, Eyssimont hit the crossbar and Lintuniemi followed him and buried the rebound (is it a rebound when it's off the crossbar?)

FINAL SCORE
Reign 6, Heat 5 (OT)

- Overall this was again a pretty ugly game defensively.

*AHLtv notes.... the sound was not good this game, the volumes were so high they were crackling at points, likely due to the arena more than AHLtv. The quality in Stockton Arena is so much better than before. This game really buffered alot, the first did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad