Stockpilling Draft Picks----Will they Be Used To Trade Up In The Draft?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
We have so many picks that id totaly be in favor of moving up in the draft, there are a couple of special players that could rly be helpful to us, maybe use our first + a 2nd to get a top 5 pick, whats wrong with that? drafting at 5th overall instead of 25?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
We have so many picks that id totaly be in favor of moving up in the draft, there are a couple of special players that could rly be helpful to us, maybe use our first + a 2nd to get a top 5 pick, whats wrong with that? drafting at 5th overall instead of 25?

You're quite optimist. You say we'll draft 25th(I say 20th) and a 2nd will move us up 15-20 spots in first round. GM needs to be drunk. It would likely take 1st, 2nd and a prospect to move to #5.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

I'm with you on that one. Let's try and get Columbus' first somehow. We need Jonathan Drouin to be a Hab. Let's pull a Sam Pollock type of deal. Offer them our first and one of our second picks plus a player or two and see if they bite.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
You're quite optimist. You say we'll draft 25th(I say 20th) and a 2nd will move us up 15-20 spots in first round. GM needs to be drunk. It would likely take 1st, 2nd and a prospect to move to #5.

well yeah, i should of been clearer in what id offer for a top 5 pick, i know you have to give more than just a fist and a 2nd, im just saying its not impossible

our 1st, one of our THREE 2nds and a prospect to get a top 5 pick is within our realm of possibility, and im just saying i think they should explore it, even by doing something like this wed still have 2 2nds and 2 3rds, thats ree-dee-cu-lus

nothing wrong with keeping our first, but i think itd be great to get ooooooone more top 5 pick

bigtimehockeyfan999*

well yeah, i should of been clearer in what id offer for a top 5 pick, i know you have to give more than just a fist and a 2nd, im just saying its not impossible

our 1st, one of our THREE 2nds and a prospect to get a top 5 pick is within our realm of possibility, and im just saying i think they should explore it, even by doing something like this wed still have 2 2nds and 2 3rds, thats ree-dee-cu-lus

nothing wrong with keeping our first, but i think itd be great to get ooooooone more top 5 pick

It would have to guarantee one of jones mackinnon or drouin.. for me to have any interest if i was gm.....drouin is the guy i want.

because of his size, and the excess size with other prospects around that spot, he may slide a couple spots....but because of his skill and numbers he could rise to the top.

If it was my decision....i would give up as much as our 1st, a 2nd an another later pick and beaulieu if your getting jones.....the same picks and collberg if your getting drouin.....i would go with the latter.
thats a testement to what i believe these players will be worth....they are claude giroux and chris pronger imo

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Some have their hearts in the right place, they are just not thinking it through.

Yes, Montreal can and if possible draft size. But it has to be size with SKATING ABILITY or else it isn't going to fit the organization. Jarred Tinordi is a great skater for his size. That's why he fit for Timmins.

When was the last time Montreal drafted a small player with a top 90 pick? It's rare. Montreal has a lot of luck finding small players with low picks. That's all.

I can definitely see Montreal packaging a few picks together to move up, but they won't move up any closer than #10-15. If a player is on their radar they can now move up for that player.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
I'm with you on that one. Let's try and get Columbus' first somehow. We need Jonathan Drouin to be a Hab. Let's pull a Sam Pollock type of deal. Offer them our first and one of our second picks plus a player or two and see if they bite.

they won't bite, they are not idiots. back in 1970. the most of gm's didn't realize importance of high draft picks.

you can have drouin only if you offer something of a real value like galchenyuk or subban. i don't think even maxpac could fetch us columbus 1st.

so let's just forget about top 5 picks this year, it won't happen.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Some have their hearts in the right place, they are just not thinking it through.

Yes, Montreal can and if possible draft size. But it has to be size with SKATING ABILITY or else it isn't going to fit the organization. Jarred Tinordi is a great skater for his size. That's why he fit for Timmins.

When was the last time Montreal drafted a small player with a top 90 pick? It's rare. Montreal has a lot of luck finding small players with low picks. That's all.

I can definitely see Montreal packaging a few picks together to move up, but they won't move up any closer than #10-15. If a player is on their radar they can now move up for that player.

i want drouin...god almighty i want drouin...i`ve never wanted a player soo bad....not hossa....not lecavalier...not even when i thought there was a hope that crosby may become a ufa and sign wtih us.

somebody please tell me we can get him...even if we do have a deep run...somebody tell me bergevin is thinking in the back of his head...we must draft this hometown talent...la bell province;s own...im not even from quebec but christ we have to jump on this guy.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
i want drouin...god almighty i want drouin...i`ve never wanted a player soo bad....not hossa....not lecavalier...not even when i thought there was a hope that crosby may become a ufa and sign wtih us.

somebody please tell me we can get him...even if we do have a deep run...somebody tell me bergevin is thinking in the back of his head...we must draft this hometown talent...la bell province;s own...im not even from quebec but christ we have to jump on this guy.

Top 5 pick would do it.

This likely means convincing Calgary, Washington, Columbus, Florida or Edmonton in giving their first round pick. Edmonton won't. Washington probably not. Columbus doubtful when their new GM is a draft guru. Florida maybe but I doubt it. That leaves Calgary, a franchise with an owner who always wants to make the playoffs.

However after the O'Reilly mess up I doubt Feaster is sending the first round pick anywhere unless told to. It would probably cost a first and a second along with a center prospect (Eller) to get that pick. Even then who knows. Calgary's ineptitude could mean they'll take Desharnais for all we know.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004

The only prospects likely to get us to the top 5 are Beaulieu or Tinordi + 1st + 2nd. That's an awful steep price to pay and even then it may not be enough.

I just don't see it as plausible. More likely using 1st + 2nd + 3rd would allow us to move into the 10-13 range (if were around 22-25) where we could get a guy like Nurse, Erne, Nichushikin, or Wennberg. Leaving us the two 2nds and a 3rd with one of those guys would be a great way to start a draft.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

The only prospects likely to get us to the top 5 are Beaulieu or Tinordi + 1st + 2nd. That's an awful steep price to pay and even then it may not be enough.

I just don't see it as plausible. More likely using 1st + 2nd + 3rd would allow us to move into the 10-13 range (if were around 22-25) where we could get a guy like Nurse, Erne, Nichushikin, or Wennberg. Leaving us the two 2nds and a 3rd with one of those guys would be a great way to start a draft.

in a heartbeat.....in a heartbeat

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

You don't know where the Habs will finish, so you don't know where their 1st rounder will be and,therefore, how much the Habs would have to throw into any deal to move up. For all you know they could be in the 10-13 bracket to start with. IMO they'll make the playoffs.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Hum... For Drouin/Jones yes but honestly I would second guess giving away Tinordi.

beaulieu OR tinordi beaulieu would be the guy i`d give up...cause we already have a few of them..tinordi we need though...your right.

PricePkPatch*

Top 5 pick would do it.

This likely means convincing Calgary, Washington, Columbus, Florida or Edmonton in giving their first round pick. Edmonton won't. Washington probably not. Columbus doubtful when their new GM is a draft guru. Florida maybe but I doubt it. That leaves Calgary, a franchise with an owner who always wants to make the playoffs.

However after the O'Reilly mess up I doubt Feaster is sending the first round pick anywhere unless told to. It would probably cost a first and a second along with a center prospect (Eller) to get that pick. Even then who knows. Calgary's ineptitude could mean they'll take Desharnais for all we know.

Gentlemen, I will need duck tape, a blowtorch, a tarantula and a lift to one of these cities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad