Stockpilling Draft Picks----Will they Be Used To Trade Up In The Draft?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
So far the Habs will have picks in these approx spots.

#15-25 (Montreal)
#35-45 (Calgary)
#40-50 (Nashville)
#45-55 (Montreal)
#70-80 (Dallas)
#75-85 (Montreal)
#135-145 (Montreal)
#165-175 (Montreal)
#195-205 (Montreal)

With six picks in the first 90 do you think that the Habs may be looking to either trade up in the first round or else acquire a second first rounder.

Would you rather just keep all of the picks and stockpile the prospects list.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Nope. Draft players. Develop. Use as trading chips if needed. Start a steady NHL supply of kids to control costs and keep competition for positions.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal

#15-25 (Montreal)
#35-45 (Calgary)
#40-50 (Nashville)
#45-55 (Montreal)
#70-80 (Dallas)
#75-85 (Montreal)
#135-145 (Montreal)
#165-175 (Montreal)
#195-205 (Montreal)

With six picks in the first 90 do you think that the Habs may be looking to either trade up in the first round or else acquire a second first rounder.

Well Trevor Timmins has a great 2nd+ draft history, with 5 picks in the 30-90 range he could hit a homerun, but as this draft comes with so much 1st round talent, let's see what we'll do with all those picks...

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Well Trevor Timmins has a great 2nd+ draft history, with 5 picks in the 30-90 range he could hit a homerun, but as this draft comes with so much 1st round talent, let's see what we'll do with all those picks...

Normally I would be all for keeping all of the picks and just adding to the list. This year it looks as if our pick will not be that early of a pick. (That is a good thing that we are doing so well)

We are already doing well with prospects/young players that maybe we should try to swing for the fences.

Goalies:
Tokarski

Defence:
Beaulieu, Tinordi, Thrower, Ellis, Dietz, Bennett

Forwards:
Collberg, Kristo, Gallagher, Holland, Hudon, Bozon, Geoffrion, Galchenyuk, Leblanc, Bournival, Dumont

There is a good amount of talent on that list. We have the quantity but is it time to try for more quality.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

#15-25 (Montreal)
#35-45 (Calgary)
#40-50 (Nashville)
#45-55 (Montreal)
#70-80 (Dallas)
#75-85 (Montreal)
#135-145 (Montreal)
#165-175 (Montreal)
#195-205 (Montreal)

All depends on who's out there at the draft...if they think a player is really worth the risk, they have the option. But, it's a deep draft for eveybody....i don't think there's many GM ready to give up their 1st pick.

For me the Habs will pick 6 players between 20 and 90.

Since 2007, Timmins picked these players in that range: Pacioretty, Subban, Tinordi, Collberg, Thrower, Bozon, Weber, Kristo, Quailer....and even picked Gallagher, Hudon, Dumont in the 5th!

Even if we don't move up...in a deep draft, Timmins/Bergevin might build the prospect bank for years to come.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Normally I would be all for keeping all of the picks and just adding to the list. This year it looks as if our pick will not be that early of a pick. (That is a good thing that we are doing so well)

We are already doing well with prospects/young players that maybe we should try to swing for the fences.

Goalies:
Tokarski

Defence:
Beaulieu, Tinordi, Thrower, Ellis, Dietz, Bennett

Forwards:
Collberg, Kristo, Gallagher, Holland, Hudon, Bozon, Geoffrion, Galchenyuk, Leblanc, Bournival, Dumont

There is a good amount of talent on that list. We have the quantity but is it time to try for more quality.

On your list, I wouldn't trade Collberg, Chuckie, Gally and either one of Beaulieu/Tinordi. Others are good prospects, but I wouldn't mind trading them (and I love Leblanc).

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I just hope we draft some guys with size and skill. Even if they're a 2nd liner, it'd be great to have some mean streaks in the top6.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
With the surplus of picks I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see MB make a move at the deadline for some playoff help if things keep going well.

2nd + 3rd could definitely add a nice rental and leave 3 picks in the 20-60 range.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I just hope we draft some guys with size and skill. Even if they're a 2nd liner, it'd be great to have some mean streaks in the top6.

Honestly, prob one of the things we are missing. Some mean physical D-men in the system along with a Tyler Biggs type. Would be good to have some decent physical players.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, prob one of the things we are missing. Some mean physical D-men in the system along with a Tyler Biggs type. Would be good to have some decent physical players.

I know he's a unique specimen, but I would LOVE to draft a guy in the mold of what Byfuglien did for the Hawks as a forward. Obviously its not likely to find a guy as heavy or as strong a Big Buff, but a guy big and heavy especially who has decent hands around the goalmouth would be so useful for us. A legitimate netfront prescence that can't get cleared easily. Creates traffic, chaos and distraction while our smaller guys buzz around and score.

Basically, I would love for Bergevin and Timmins to find the type of role players the Hawks had in 2010 with the quantity of picks we own. I'm obviously not expecting each picks to be our Bolland, Buff, Ladd,etc. but if they can even find one guy who fits the Buff mold, I'd be so happy. Now is the time to reap the benefits of this draft and get a nice variation of styles among our prospects.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
I'd package some of those with Desharnais and Leblanc and get a bonafide top draft pick or top young player. We have the prospect depth, right now we need the elite talent.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Keep the picks. Give Timmins as many kicks at the can as possible, provide his picks with the proper support for their development and we will profit from it. In my opinion, we will profit greatly from it.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
I know he's a unique specimen, but I would LOVE to draft a guy in the mold of what Byfuglien did for the Hawks as a forward. Obviously its not likely to find a guy as heavy or as strong a Big Buff, but a guy big and heavy especially who has decent hands around the goalmouth would be so useful for us. A legitimate netfront prescence that can't get cleared easily. Creates traffic, chaos and distraction while our smaller guys buzz around and score.

Basically, I would love for Bergevin and Timmins to find the type of role players the Hawks had in 2010 with the quantity of picks we own. I'm obviously not expecting each picks to be our Bolland, Buff, Ladd,etc. but if they can even find one guy who fits the Buff mold, I'd be so happy. Now is the time to reap the benefits of this draft and get a nice variation of styles among our prospects.
Byfuglien: Drafted 245th (8th round) in 2003.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

theoretically speaking here.....if we were to propose a package of x amount of our picks to a team for their first....would they accept this...and how high could we get?

brian70

Jul 8, 2012
theoretically speaking here.....if we were to propose a package of x amount of our picks to a team for their first....would they accept this...and how high could we get?

If Montreal picks 15th and Calgary 5th, they could move a few notches in exchange for their first and the Flames' 2nd. But certainly not top 5.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
1st round picks are no longer for sale and each of our wins takes us further away from a top pick. Best we can do this draft year is package two late 2nd-round picks for Avs/Edmonton's 2nd round, thus moving up about 15 spots in round two. Timmins is good at finding 2nd round gems, but don't expect anyone to turn into a top-line forward or defenseman. The chances of landing a prime player in this year's draft are slim.

If there are any big moves, they will be in a trade or a UFA signing. We seem to be clearing a lot of cap space for... something.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Nope. Draft players. Develop. Use as trading chips if needed. Start a steady NHL supply of kids to control costs and keep competition for positions.

This, so this. You can't draft a superstar every draft, you'll never be able to keep them all together anyways. Keep them, let Timmins work his magic and be thankful Gainey/Gauthier are no longer here to give them away for nothing.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

I think targeting guys like Biggs would be a colossal mistake. Players of his ilk are easily acquired through free Agency. The draft is for drafting talent. I hope Timmins sticks to his ways.

Tyler Biggs, no thank you.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
I wouldn't mind seeing us trade 2 2nd rounders or a 2nd + 3rd to get another 1st.

I'd really like to see Montreal take Fredrik Gauthier (6'5", 210) or Valentin Zykov (6'2" 215).

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

#15-25 (Montreal)
#35-45 (Calgary)
#40-50 (Nashville)
#45-55 (Montreal)
#70-80 (Dallas)
#75-85 (Montreal)
#135-145 (Montreal)
#165-175 (Montreal)
#195-205 (Montreal)

At this point it's probably to use the picks, however once we get close to the draft, they may have a guy they really want and need to move up 3-5 spots and may use one of the 3rds...or 5-7 and use a 2nd.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think targeting guys like Biggs would be a colossal mistake. Players of his ilk are easily acquired through free Agency. The draft is for drafting talent. I hope Timmins sticks to his ways.

Targetting guys like Biggs in the middle rounds is fine, not in rounds 1 and 2 of a strong draft.

Analyzer*

Players who have the potential to be top 6, borderline heavy weight fighters are acquired from free agency ?

You be GM and get us one.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Nichuskin could slide and a team with a few seconds to spare would be able to trade up and snag him.

Nikushkin looks like a definite top 10 pick right now after the 4 Nations. He may slide to 11-16 but will probably be gone by our 1st. I still see an underachiever as a pro, lots of tools but limited toolbox.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad