Confirmed Trade: [STL/WAS] Shattenkirk 39% rtnd, Copley for Sanford, Malone, 1st ('17), cndl 2nd ('19)

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Watching the pens-caps last playoffs, I thought they were missing a true qb on the point on the pp.

I actually thought Subban would have been a good fit.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Watching the pens-caps last playoffs, I thought they were missing a true qb on the point on the pp.

I actually thought Subban would have been a good fit.

Subban would fit on any team. To expensive to even try getting him for the Caps.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
St. Louis has some scouting cred since finding Parayko out of nowhere. Maybe there is something with Sanford

Teams dont get cred for getting lucky in a later round, they get cred for going off the board. If the Blues knew what Parayko was they would have drafted him in the first round and not three total busts before him.

Using luck for your assessment of a scouting team will never work out well.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Teams dont get cred for getting lucky in a later round, they get cred for going off the board. If the Blues knew what Parayko was they would have drafted him in the first round and not three total busts before him.

The Blues didn't get lucky with Parayko, they knew the type of player he could likely blossom in to. They didn't draft him in the first round because they knew most teams had no idea who he was. It's called being efficient. And it remains to be seen whether the Blues 1st rounder, Jordan Schmaltz, is a "total bust". He's been very good in the AHL and will likely start getting NHL time as early as this season.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
St. Louis has some scouting cred since finding Parayko out of nowhere. Maybe there is something with Sanford

You can thank Bill Armstrong for that gem. He is good at evaluating young amateur talent. It is a shame that the Doug Armstrong isn't as good with his GM role.

At first I was disgusted by the return, but that has shifted to apathy. The late first may turn into a decent mid-level forward or bottom six forward. Lets see if Bill Armstrong can find another gem. The second probably won't happen, so I wouldn't even count on that. Malone I hope never wears a Bluenote, that would be a win. The goalie shuffle moves Husso to more net time in Chicago, so that moves him to the next step. Sanford can mature for a season or two in Chicago and we'll see what he has. If he crashes an burns, oh well. Shattenkirk was gone anyway. At least we got a 1st round pick and some folks to restock Chicago's roster.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
The Blues didn't get lucky with Parayko, they knew the type of player he could likely blossom in to. They didn't draft him in the first round because they knew most teams had no idea who he was. It's called being efficient. And it remains to be seen whether the Blues 1st rounder, Jordan Schmaltz, is a "total bust". He's been very good in the AHL and will likely start getting NHL time as early as this season.

"Most teams had no idea who he was" I highly doubt that. He likely was going somewhere around where he was actually picked had STL not selected him.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
What does Washington's defense look like now?

Alzner - Carlson
Orlov - Shattenkirk
Orpik - Niskanen

Tight. They didn't pay much for Shattenkirk either, is it feasible they could keep him or is he pretty much already on the Rangers?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
"Most teams had no idea who he was" I highly doubt that. He likely was going somewhere around where he was actually picked had STL not selected him.

He wasn't even listed in Central Scouting's rankings nor was he listed by ISS or The Hockey News, and they had around 220 NA skaters listed. He was playing in the AJHL which is a junior league to the CHL. Hardly any teams knew about him.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland

Sanford is a good prospect, not blue chip mind you but Caps management was high on him. He has good size and is a smart player. He just needs more development. Wouldn't be surprised if he turns into a good 2nd liner in a couple years.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
What does Washington's defense look like now?

Alzner - Carlson
Orlov - Shattenkirk
Orpik - Niskanen

Tight. They didn't pay much for Shattenkirk either, is it feasible they could keep him or is he pretty much already on the Rangers?
My guess

Orlov- Niskanen
Alzner - Shatty
Orpik- Carlson

You can switch them around any combo. All 6 of them can skate 20+ min in the playoffs. Quality depth here.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Call me silly, but I don't see how Shatenkirk is a significant improvement over Orlov, tad bit better offensively, may be a little better defensively. A lot to give up, and he is a rental if I understand correctly?

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Call me silly, but I don't see how Shatenkirk is a significant improvement over Orlov, tad bit better offensively, may be a little better defensively. A lot to give up, and he is a rental if I understand correctly?

Orlov's not getting bumped out of the lineup so I don't see what the issue is there. It is a lot to give up for what looks to be a rental but the Caps have a great look at it this year.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

Are you seriously questioning the Blues amateur scouting?

Parayko at 86th, Dunn at 56th, Walman at 100 something........all great defense picks outside the 1st Rd. Sounds like you dont know what you're talking about.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
It wasn't "a lot" to give up. Many experts out there expected more than what the Blue got in return.

Link

A late first rounder, a potential 2nd rounder, and an NHL-ready prospect is a lot for a guy who almost assuredly won't re-sign. "Experts" and HF regularly overvalue players as the deadline approaches. That being said, I'm 100% behind this move for the Caps and will be pulling for them to win it all if the Sharks get knocked out.

Last edited:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Two (late) picks in the first two rounds and an NHL-ready prospect is a lot for a guy who almost assuredly won't re-sign. "Experts" and HF regularly overvalue players as the deadline approaches. That being said, I'm 100% behind this move for the Caps and will be pulling for them to win it all if the Sharks get knocked out.

The Blues only get the 2nd round pick if the Caps make it to the conference finals or they re-sign Shattenkirk. If not, no pick for the Blues.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I wouldn't degrade Sanford.

He's not a blue chip, all star level prospect, but he's a good bet to be a decent #2/#3 winger/center with size and hands. He plays a good two way game and his offensive upside is still growing. He was really good in training camp this year and made the team out of it. The Caps are ok, as they don't really need him, but he's a good player you could see playing 6-8 seasons for you and getting 45-50 points at the top end. He's 22, really only playing in his first season of pro hockey and he has a lot to fill out frame wise. With Vrana, Burakovsky, and maybe Barber, they could afford to move him. I rather move him than Bowey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad