LeBrun: STL, PIT have talked to Carolina about Skinner

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
For me to bite on a Kessel for Skinner swap, there needs to be a 3rd team that will send a young NHL proven RHD to Pittsburgh for Kessel. The Canes have a lot of intriguing young LHD, but almost no RHD and that really hurts any potential deals with the Penguins. A return for the Penguins of Kessel for Skinner and a young RHD with high upside may be worth it at that point.

I think this kind of trade makes more sense to me personally:

Penguins trade Kessel to team A for their 1st rounder and a young NHL proven RD
Penguins trade the 1st from team A and another asset to Carolina for Skinner

It's really difficult to figure out how the Penguins get that RD piece with having Kessel going to Carolina.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pens need to add a bit more size/grit, more guys who can play a strong two-way game.

Solution: acquire Jeff Skinner.

I'm not sure where he slots. Guentzel is attached to Crosby's left hip. Do you see a fit with Malkin? I don't. So, that puts him with Brassard . . . not exactly 2/3 of a line that you can throw out in defensive situations, which means a lot more defensive draws for Crosby.

Great player. I just don't see him as the guy JR should be targeting.

Actually mentioned this on the Pens board today . . . they could use some guys who play with an edge. Aston-Reese checks but isn't edgy. Olesksiak plays soft. Sad truth is that the Pens edgiest players, in order, are Hornqvist, Malkin, and probably Crosby. As you said, that's not a situation that screams Skinner. It's a situation that screams give me a forward with a nasty streak and speed.

Carolina BBQ is pretty tasty

But the BBQ hot dogs . . . not so much.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
Neither of those pieces are interesting to Carolina. They have plenty of middle-6 talent and Jarry is not close to being a #1G (they have Nedeljkovic, Booth, and Helvig in AHL).

Fair enough. I think Sheary is a top 6 talent but he needs to be in the top 6 to be effective. He'll give you 20 goals for $3M.

I do think Jarry is very close to being a #1. He has a higher pedigree than Murray and has looked very good in his NHL stints. He was actually much better when he played a string of games rather than as a backup with spot duty. I dont know anything about the Canes goalies though and how to compare.

Brassard is probably the player I'd envision Carolina wanting...and I don't think that works for PIT.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure where he slots. Guentzel is attached to Crosby's left hip. Do you see a fit with Malkin? I don't. So, that puts him with Brassard . . . not exactly 2/3 of a line that you can throw out in defensive situations, which means a lot more defensive draws for Crosby.

Actually mentioned this on the Pens board today . . . they could use some guys who play with an edge. Aston-Reese checks but isn't edgy. Olesksiak plays soft. Sad truth is that the Pens edgiest players, in order, are Hornqvist, Malkin, and probably Crosby. As you said, that's not a situation that screams Skinner. It's a situation that screams give me a forward with a nasty streak and speed.

Guentzel is a edgy player despite his size.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Pens need a guy more similar to prime Kunitz than they do a Skinner.

Skinner on Malkin's line also creates an issue where to even possibly make it work, they need to find a gritty, somewhat physical, defensively good RWer as well.

I like the player in general, but I just don't see him as addressing what ails the current Pens' forward group.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pens need a guy more similar to prime Kunitz than they do a Skinner.

Skinner on Malkin's line also creates an issue where to even possibly make it work, they need to find a gritty, somewhat physical, defensively good RWer as well.

I like the player in general, but I just don't see him as addressing what ails the current Pens' forward group.

Honestly, the idea that may make sense to me is splitting up Guentzel and Crosby and running with this as your top-6:

Skinner-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust or Sprong

I think that would actually work, I just don't think anyone would be in favor of that or the Penguins would be interested in that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Honestly, the idea that may make sense to me is splitting up Guentzel and Crosby and running with this as your top-6:

Skinner-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust or Sprong

I think that would actually work, I just don't think anyone would be in favor of that or the Penguins would be interested in that.

I'd rather they stuck with Crosby/Guentzel for an entire year to see what it can do. I'm not in favor of tinkering with what works in order to hopefully find something else that works.

JR should be penciling in Crosby/Guentzel and then trying to find a perfect compliment for Geno rather than moving pieces around to where now we've got two unknowns next to Sid and Geno.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

You just described Evander Kane

But the BBQ hot dogs . . . not so much.

Buddy you haven’t lived

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I don't really see how this makes sense for either team, to be honest. Skinner only makes sense for the Penguins if they trade Kessel, because Skinner and Kessel have very similar glaring weaknesses. The Penguins get worse off by making that swap and they likely don't save any money in the long run, because Skinner will likely get an extension at around $7 million a year. St. Louis is already overflowing with left handed shots, so why would they pay a lot for another one?

Neither of these teams make sense on the surface of it.

Because we only have one top6 caliber left handed shot on the LW....Fabbri(would be the other if hes recovered) but he can play the right side and so can steen. Assuming berglund or soby goes the other way and no other roster players it'd look like a top 9 of:

Schwartz-Schenn-Senko
Skinner-Thomas-Fabbri
Steen-Berglund- Thompson/kyrou

Also fabbri could be at C as well.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'd rather they stuck with Crosby/Guentzel for an entire year to see what it can do. I'm not in favor of tinkering with what works in order to hopefully find something else that works.

JR should be penciling in Crosby/Guentzel and then trying to find a perfect compliment for Geno rather than moving pieces around to where now we've got two unknowns next to Sid and Geno.

This should be a lock.

Guentzel, Crosby, Hornqvist
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel

Do what you will for lines 3/4.

Reactions: Giskard

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Because we only have one top6 caliber left handed shot on the LW....Fabbri(would be the other if hes recovered) but he can play the right side and so can steen. Assuming berglund or soby goes the other way and no other roster players it'd look like a top 9 of:

Schwartz-Schenn-Senko
Skinner-Thomas-Fabbri
Steen-Berglund- Thompson/kyrou

Also fabbri could be at C as well.
Skilled 2nd line but too young, small, & soft for playoff hockey.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
Because there’s not as many RH shots available. If you need scoring, might have to bite the bullet and move someone to RW. Skinner is a guy that should be able to do that.

I know there been a few games last season the Blues had Left wingers playing right during the period when the team was doing so bad. Mike Yeo was trying to throw any kind of line up together to fine something. Is Skinner my first choice? No. I feel they need to kick tires on Centers. As weird as it sounds I want to make Tarasenko happier, Last few years team moved his closest team mates. Ilya Kovalchuk, would do that because back in 2012 during the lockout he credit him for playing in KHL because he wanted to play with him. Clearly respect there. If the want to go LW they should kick The Blues Jackets tires on Artemi Panarin who is on his final year and likely would resign with the Blues because his childhood best friend is Tarasenko.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Skilled 2nd line but too young, small, & soft for playoff hockey.

Yep, that’s what im afraid of. The Blues went from a big, tough team to a bunch of cream puffs. But some people will argue what did that big, tough team accomplish?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad