Trade: [STL/NYY] Jordan Montgomery for Harrison Bader

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Yeah, this seems like a win for the Cardinals

Assuming Stanton is used exclusively as a DH, the Yankees now have outfielders Judge,, Benintendi, Hicks, Carpenter, and Bader

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Truly horrific. Mozeliak’s worst, and that’s saying something considering he traded Sandy Alcantara and Randy Arozerena.
Maybe I’m missing something, but Bader seems like a speedy but pretty replaceable OFer who now has plantar fasciitis issues. Montgomery is a solid bottom of the rotation starter.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I honestly don't know much about Bader other than stat watching but I feel the Yankees will regret this. Monty is going to be good for a long time.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Cards get a good starter for this and next year for a injury prone guy who's entire play style is "gotta go fast" who was just diagnosed with Planter Fasciitis.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I honestly don't know much about Bader other than stat watching but I feel the Yankees will regret this. Monty is going to be good for a long time.
Bader is a guy who has 20/20 potential with gold glove defense but gets hurt a lot and is streaky. I wonder if hitting in Yankee Stadium will help him, even though he's a righty. At his best, he's a line drive hitter who plays hard and runs fast (both offensively and defensively). He also seems to really enjoy baseball. Hope he does well but I'm happy with the trade as Carlson has been fantastic defensively in center and has more offensive upside (and team control).

The Cardinals also needed to open up an outfield slot for some upcoming prospects (Walker and Burleson). Walker in particular. He's a natural 3B but we have Arenado there and Goldy at first. This lets us move TON (a GG left fielder) to right field and park a less able defender in LF. Add a good lefty pitcher and all in all this deal made a ton of sense.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
didn't the yankees basically have someone like bader in clint frazier who they refused to give a chance to?

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
didn't the yankees basically have someone like bader in clint frazier who they refused to give a chance to?
Frazier was never considered great defensively as far as I know. The Yankees only used him in the corners, but he was generally considered a liability defensively. I looked it up and he's at -2.9 dWar in his career. Bader is +5.4.

As to the deal, Boone has been using a defensive replacement late in games for Carpenter (and Stanton when healthy) pretty consistently. I don't love the strategy (especially when that defensive replacement comes up to bat later on when the pen blows the lead) but I'd bet he's planning on a Benintendi-Bader-Judge outfield in the playoffs to close out games.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
I dont want to see Jordan Walker regularly playing the OF, he needs to take over at 1B or DH when Goldy is done.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I dont want to see Jordan Walker regularly playing the OF, he needs to take over at 1B or DH when Goldy is done.
Goldy still has two more years and Walker could be up next year, if not 2024. Makes sense to increase his positional flexibility. The first year Goldy is gone, if he isn't brought back, the lineup should look some thing like:

C - Herrera
1B - (Walker)
2B - Edman/Gorman
SS - Winn/DeJong/Edman
3B - Arenado
LF - Burleson
CF - Carlson
RF - (TON)
DH - Gorman

O'Neill will be a UFA as well but with only filling internally, this is a pretty filthy potential lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad