Proposal: STL - NYR

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
NYR- Brady Skjei, Joey Keane, 2021 3rd rounder
STL- 2020 1st rounder, Barbashev, Bouwmeester

The Blues get younger on the left side, solidify their top 4 for a number of years with the Pietrangelo conerns. Skjei will absolutely benefit from being on a better team. Can play all situations, seems like a good fit for the west, big frame, good skater.

Joey Keane is not just a throw in, the Rangers are deep at RD which makes him expendable, one of those real solid mid round picks with NHL potential

The first round pick will probably be a late one so that should reflect on its value.

The Blues have a pretty deep forward group between their actual roster and their system making a guy like Barbashev expendable. Only getting 4th line minutes but has some offensive talent but even if it doesn't translate to top 6 production he projects as a real good third liner with a good two way physical game to round out the Rangers bottom half

Bouwmeester still has some game left but he's on his way out. If this was a season or two ago that 3rd round pick might be a 2nd. A nice stopgap veteran that can be moved at the deadline

I think there's some risk on both sides, but works for each team

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
we dont need a defenseman right now

where would we put all of them?

depending on how the petro situation goes we may bring one in but having petro, dunn, faulk and parayko we really arent in the market for trading 1st for dmen

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Skjei literally is Bouwmeester.

He can skate and uhhhhh.....well, he can skate.

So I don't see what this does for the Blues. A younger version of what you have isn't worth a 1st.

Reactions: Kakko Schmakko

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Skjei literally is Bouwmeester.

He can skate and uhhhhh.....well, he can skate.

So I don't see what this does for the Blues. A younger version of what you have isn't worth a 1st.
Maybe if Bo was a few years younger I'd agree with you

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I would heavily entertain this without the expansion draft.

I like Skjei, we need to lock Pietro before adding any more salary down the line though.

This doesn’t factor in either that Barbashev and bouwmeester have both been very key cogs in our recent success. I’m assuming this will be Bouws last season though and I don’t know who is going to comfortably solidify the left side of the defense going forward. Mikkola is honestly the best bet with Gunnar and Dunn

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And even if Skjei hadn't regressed, he's kinda...like, just a top 4 D. He was never winning a Norris.

That's valuable, but it's not worth a 1st.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
NYR- Brady Skjei, Joey Keane, 2021 3rd rounder
STL- 2020 1st rounder, Barbashev, Bouwmeester

The Blues get younger on the left side, solidify their top 4 for a number of years with the Pietrangelo conerns. Skjei will absolutely benefit from being on a better team. Can play all situations, seems like a good fit for the west, big frame, good skater.

Joey Keane is not just a throw in, the Rangers are deep at RD which makes him expendable, one of those real solid mid round picks with NHL potential

The first round pick will probably be a late one so that should reflect on its value.

The Blues have a pretty deep forward group between their actual roster and their system making a guy like Barbashev expendable. Only getting 4th line minutes but has some offensive talent but even if it doesn't translate to top 6 production he projects as a real good third liner with a good two way physical game to round out the Rangers bottom half

Bouwmeester still has some game left but he's on his way out. If this was a season or two ago that 3rd round pick might be a 2nd. A nice stopgap veteran that can be moved at the deadline

I think there's some risk on both sides, but works for each team

I agree w/yr premise -- get younger
I am looking to move Skjei and make room for younger emerging elcs we have.
'meester is expiring. Whatever he fetches, he = cap space.
Keane is expendable enuf.

If I had to give a yes or no now, I'd vote yes, even w that being a late 1st.

Would prefer some tweaking, but think it can be finalized at some pt.
til later...

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Deal doesn’t make sense from a St. Louis perspective for reasons already mentioned.

That said, I really like Joey Keane, rags should hold on to him. Think he has 2nd pairing offensive D written all over him.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I think the blues need to keep their 1st. We all know the importance of ELC talent on championship contenders. We already traded our 2018 and 2019 1sts for vets(ROR & Faulk). I'd be shocked if we didn't keep the 2020 1st and most likely go after a high end LHD if one's available

Reactions: stl76

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Agreed but that said not really as valuable to us right now as we are all in. Especially with young guys getting paid now.
Could care less about the trade. Was just highlighting 25 year olds don’t typically hit unrestricted free agency.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I second the notion that the Blues need to hold on to their 1sts. We really need to restock our prospect pool, and with all our big contracts, we are really going to need our ELC's going forward. Not a bad proposal, but I would have to pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad