Proposal: STL - NYR

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Skjei literally is Bouwmeester.

He can skate and uhhhhh.....well, he can skate.

So I don't see what this does for the Blues. A younger version of what you have isn't worth a 1st.

Skjei isn't nearly the liability some like to make him out to be. He can play an outstanding game and then make the odd mental mistake, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as some Ranger fans like to think.

This trade makes zero sense for the Rangers.

Reactions: slg1963

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Skjei for a very late 1st, a 4th liner and an over the hill Boumeester !!! yeah no thanks, we will happily retain Skjei.

cap space on an expiring vet
out from under long term contract
not immediately a concern, but this flexibility will be helpful in a couple of years if not before

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Not a chance you get that package from the Blues. Anything involving our 2020 1st or adding a defenseman we don't need is a non-starter.

Bouwmeester plays LD on a very successful shut down pair with Parayko while Barbashev is a key piece to the Blues checking line. Both go up against top players in shut down roles and the Blues are a legit contender so don't see any interest from them.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
A couple of point missing from the discussion:

1. Bouwmeester has a NTC and is not likely to waive it to go to a larger market. He signed a 1 year deal to stay here (for what most expect to be his final season) and I can't see him being interested in moving on to another team for a 5 month stay. He also has a performance bonus tied to playoff rounds, which would seem less likely to be met moving from the defending champs to a team that missed the playoffs the previous season. It's not much, but it's not nothing either.

2. As pointed out in #1, this is likely his final season which means his cap hit goes away next season and is likely replaced by a sub-$1M young player. This allows the Blues the flexibility to sign other players, not the least of which is Pietrangelo. I can't see the Blues being willing to discard this flexibility while having Parayko, Faulk and (presumably) Pietrangelo under contract.

For mental health reasons, I've tried to steer clear of these types of discussions, but I can't help but wonder why Skjei would even be available in such a deal with an aging Staal and unproven Hajek being the only LD under contract to the Rangers next season. If Skjei is valuable, why move him? If he's underperforming his contract, why would someone pay even a late 1st to acquire him? Maybe there is something more to the OP that I simply missed.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
A couple of point missing from the discussion:

1. Bouwmeester has a NTC and is not likely to waive it to go to a larger market. He signed a 1 year deal to stay here (for what most expect to be his final season) and I can't see him being interested in moving on to another team for a 5 month stay. He also has a performance bonus tied to playoff rounds, which would seem less likely to be met moving from the defending champs to a team that missed the playoffs the previous season. It's not much, but it's not nothing either.

2. As pointed out in #1, this is likely his final season which means his cap hit goes away next season and is likely replaced by a sub-$1M young player. This allows the Blues the flexibility to sign other players, not the least of which is Pietrangelo. I can't see the Blues being willing to discard this flexibility while having Parayko, Faulk and (presumably) Pietrangelo under contract.

For mental health reasons, I've tried to steer clear of these types of discussions, but I can't help but wonder why Skjei would even be available in such a deal with an aging Staal and unproven Hajek being the only LD under contract to the Rangers next season. If Skjei is valuable, why move him? If he's underperforming his contract, why would someone pay even a late 1st to acquire him? Maybe there is something more to the OP that I simply missed.

spot on post, only bone to pick is while Hajek is factually 'unproven' this is a formality which tag evaporates with each added game he plays.

Moving Skjei makes sense for NYR if if if if return is fair market price or, if NY lucky, more. We should pounce asap and give his mins to Linddgren and mo, but not without either being the case.

Skjei COULD be a good fit for SLB, but as you pointed out, other scenarios are likely more worthwhile.

Congrats Cup champs, it was a long time comin...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad