Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Jordan Binnington signs extension with the Blues (6 years, $6M AAV)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Got solved after? Only two goalies had more wins last season. His numbers were almost identical to Vas. Did he get solved too?

No, Vasi had better numbers. Vasi is a far superior goalie.

Binnington us a product of a good system + had amazing dmen last year. Nearly all the goals scored on him in the playoffs last year were in the same spot, other teams figured him out.

Benighted

Dec 15, 2011
It's not good and it's not bad. It's simply what most goalies of his caliber make in this league and it's not like St. Louis has someone they could replace him with anyways.
This is pretty much it right here. 100% the situation.

Benighted

Dec 15, 2011

Binnington us a product of a good system + had amazing dmen last year. Nearly all the goals scored on him in the playoffs last year were in the same spot, other teams figured him out.
Yeah figured him out all the way up to the cup podium right?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Huh... How do St. Louis fans feel about this? To me this isn't any sort of discount whatsoever, and based on there being a flat cap over the next number of years, it almost seems like not the best contract unless he returns to elite form. I would have thought that teams may have a bit more leverage to offer contracts with less cap hit and term, something in the range of 4 years at 5mil would have been a bit more reasonable.

This sets a bit of a bar for goalie signings next offseason. We need to re-sign Demko, and despite being able to buy a few RFA years at a reduced rate, it seems he may be in the 5mil range if he keeps playing like he is.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Benighted

Dec 15, 2011
Funny thing is Holtby was signed to a 5x6 contract when he was much better than Binnington and was trash for the last 2 seasons of it. Doubt Binnington's holds up any better given that he already fell apart once last playoffs and the league seems to have the book on him now
Yeah I forgot the blues performance last playoffs was Binningtons fault. Clearly u saw those games too

Reactions: Colt55

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well I mean if you're not going to give a good, relatively young goalie his term, someone else gladly will

This is true but I advocate for walking from goalies who want term. I prefer the short term options that allow you to walk away much easier if they don't work out for you than these ones that can be difficult to get rid of if it becomes a problem. There are a lot of goalies out there and a lot of them seem to work on teams that have a solid system in front of them. The position is simply too volatile to warrant such an investment.

Reactions: inthewings

Benighted

Dec 15, 2011
The guy thinks 8.6 for two years is too much when his team has jordan for 36 million for 6 years . Do I need to draw a picture to explain its relevancy or are you good?
If you think the difference in binnys current numbers to holtbys current numbers isn't worth 1.7 then I guess your beyond a pictures help

Reactions: Colt55

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Would’ve preferred 5 years, but the AAV isn’t too high, and he’s been one of the better starters since coming into the league.

The Blues hung him completely out to dry during the bubble, but that’s seemingly all people can remember about him.

He’s been one of the only reasons the Blues are where they are this year with all the injuries, and I won’t be surprised if he proves his doubters wrong AGAIN come playoff time this year.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Yeah I forgot the blues performance last playoffs was Binningtons fault. Clearly u saw those games too

That's what they said about Holtby lol.

At least Blackhawks were smart enough to get their cup with Niemi and move on after he was figured out, same as Pens with Murray

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Huh... How do St. Louis fans feel about this? To me this isn't any sort of discount whatsoever, and based on there being a flat cap over the next number of years, it almost seems like not the best contract unless he returns to elite form. I would have thought that teams may have a bit more leverage to offer contracts with less cap hit and term, something in the range of 4 years at 5mil would have been a bit more reasonable.

This sets a bit of a bar for goalie signings next offseason. We need to re-sign Demko, and despite being able to buy a few RFA years at a reduced rate, it seems he may be in the 5mil range if he keeps playing like he is.
I wasn't expecting a discount. This is simply what it costs to keep a good goalie. I don't necessarily expect him to be an elite caliber goalie all 6 years, but he's proven he is good enough to be THE guy. That's the going rate these days. If the Blues didn't give him this someone else would have.

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018

Did you even look at the stats before you made that comment? Of course he's better and had better numbers but not by that much. Guy has one bad series after months off in a highly abnormal set of circumstances and he's figured out? Whatever you say pal!

Benighted

Dec 15, 2011
That's what they said about Holtby lol.

At least Blackhawks were smart enough to get their cup with Niemi and move on after he was figured out, same as Pens with Murray
I mean holtby is older and is currently worse. The caps were right to move on from him. I don't get it

Benighted

Dec 15, 2011
There are a lot of similarities here to Martin Jones when he signed his long term contract. I honestly don't know if anyone can say Binnington is any better than Jones was in 2017 when he signed his current deal.
I will agree with some similarity here but the massive difference is binny is cup proven. Martin Jones is well, Martin Jones. But I get ur point overall

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not a bad deal for one of the league’s top goalies, no? He seems to win a lot more than he loses.

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2