Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Jay Bouwmeester signs extension (1 year, $3.25M)

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
He was so bad until late November.

And then he stuck out like a sore thumb..

Because he willed himself to give his all on every shift he took. He did this weeks before the rest of the team minus ROR stepped up.

Well he simultaneously got healthy and could physically be a better player.

He hasn't missed a beat since then.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Funny how 4 months can change opinions around here. In December he was done, and St. Louis fans wanted to get rid of him for a mid level pick.
Because it was revealed he was playing injured?

Yeah, facts matter.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
well that's good one less old guy for Holland to target with his cap space this offseason

still plenty left but it's a start

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Stick around. In 4 months they'll hate it again. 2 months after that they'll say he should be resigned.

It's the cycle of fandomhood.

I get what you are saying and don’t disagree. However if you watched him from the beginning of the season until partly through December and then watched him from that point on I think you would really understand the huge shift in judgement.

He was flat out terrible early like legitimately costing games. After he either got healthy or something clicked he’s been extremely good in a shut down role and looks much much more mobile. It’s honestly a crazy turn around.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Didn't pause to comment on this yet but man am I thrilled to get a 1 year @3.25. Pretty much exactly what I figured AAV wise (I thought the Blues would easily bump that to 3.75 if that's what it took to get just a single season.

Bouwmeester looked terrible at the beginning of the season but he followed that up by doing a complete 180 and solidifying a LD group that badly needed the defensive acumen he has a reputation for. He's been fantastic and with Edmundson taking a bit of a step back this season and Gunnar's deal about to be up this was a smart signing at a super cheap hit for such an experienced vet. That left defense is in transition so this signing gives the Blues time to identify Bouwmeester's long term replacement while maintaining continuity in a defense group that have all played together multiple seasons.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Stick around. In 4 months they'll hate it again. 2 months after that they'll say he should be resigned.

It's the cycle of fandomhood.

I mean. If a player sucks and then suddenly starts playing well, yeah I'd expect opinions to change.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
In the beginning of the season, he seemed like he was good for a goal going off of him somehow into our own net ever 3-4 games. The guy was amazingly bad. But, once he was finally healed up he really stepped it up a notch, and playing with Parayko who has seemed to really gone to the next level of defensive hockey doesn't hurt either. They were probably a better pair a lot of nights than Petro and Dunn.

MCI Center

Jul 28, 2009
Good for Bouwmeester. Hope he gets a Cup after having played through so many postseason-less years early in his career.

Without looking it up, how many times do you think Bouwmeester finished top 10 in Norris voting?

Zero. Holy shit. Would've thought he finished between 5-10 at least a couple of times.

nashnaidoo

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2004
50 games played.

He's had one season below that threshold (2017-18 where he played 35) and then the lockout years. Games played doesn't really seem like a performance bonus that you should hang your hat on.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
upload_2019-4-8_10-44-1-png.210851

Daniel_Jackson.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad