Proposal: [STL] Husso for [NYI] Sorokin

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Doesn't he have 2 years left after this year in the KHL?

I would take Sorokin in a vaccuum, but Husso is closer and the current Isles team is pretty exciting.

Contracts can be bought out if Ledecky feels it's worth it.

Someone mentioned at a certain age (around when Sorokin's KHL deal expires IIRC) prospects only have to spend 1 year on ELC money rather than the traditional 3.

Very few NHL-caliber players choose to stay in Russia when their ceiling is as high as Sorokin's. The glitz and glamour of North America is too enticing.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Creative, not terrible, but I don’t think STL does this. They’ve really invested in Husso, which isn’t to say that they absolutely wouldn’t move him for the right upgrade, I just don’t think that a guy who hasn’t come over to NA yet is that guy.

You could have Binnington for Sorokin tho :)

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
It's not possible for him to calm down. That's just Colt.

Sorokin is better than Husso but the Blues probably wouldn't take the gamble of a swap of the two of them based on the uncertainty. Even with Binnington playing well in Providence, I think the organization sees Husso as the future in net. I imagine that they are going to want to see him in San Antonio next year for the first time as the full-time starter on a Blues run team. Good thought process for the swap though, I just think the Islanders would rather take the chance they can get Sorokin over here with his upside and their current goaltending situation.

Having seen them both play here with Chicago(AHL) the last few years I can tell you that is 100% correct. Last year it was fairly obvious that Binnington had worn out his welcome to some degree. He never really did take a hold of the crease and eventually fell to 3rd on the depth chart here behind Copley and Husso. His play here was inconsistent at best to the point where he was a scratch. I'm also guessing that the incident in Rockford didn't help either...to refresh memories or enlighten...he got into a "fight" with PC Labrie and was ejected from the game, on the road, as he was leaving he started doing what I call a princess wave to the boos...he was suspended by the league for 1 game and even when he returned he was a healthy for the better part of the next few months except when dressing due to injury. When Copley was traded to Washington only then did he dress but almost always as a back up. I can't remember where i saw it but I thought there was even a comment about how Husso had climbed ahead of Binnington by a Blues hockey ops member...Binnington is playing well with Providence which leads me to believe that if the Blues are going to trade someone it will probably be him...it's pretty obvious that he needs to get out of the organization. Whether it's because of last year and perceived slights or maybe a different system or style of play...he seems to be better out from under of their control.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Husso is our future goalie. Allen is still questionable. When he's "on", he's amazing. When he's "off", he's terrible. I could see the Blues trading Allen, re-signing Hutton, and then rolling with Hutton/Husso next season.

Reactions: Maikkeli

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I can't see the Blues interested in it at all, and given the risk that he doesn't come over at all, it just isn't worth it even if his upside/current play is superior to Husso. The Blues need to see what Husso can do when he is the #1 in our soon to be AHL affiliate next year.

Reactions: Colt55

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
if the blues are down on Allen I'd rather make a trade to aquire him instead .

insert my goofy offer here _______________

Reactions: SI90

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
blues fans can say no all they want, but the Isles would be insne to do that deal,,

and no the AHL is not better than The KHL

W'll all get to see sorokin in the olympics and then this thread will be remembered as a joke

Last edited by a moderator:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
blues fans can say no all they want, but the Isles would be insne to do that deal,,

and no the AHL is not better than The KHL

the person who said that needs to stop sniffing fumes from his cars tailpipe

W'll all get to see sorokin in the olympics and then this thread will be remembered as a joke

I can't speak to what the Isles would do. However, it is possible for both teams to not like a deal. As a Blues fan, I wouldn't do it. Husso is the type of goalie that the Blues need. Sorokin is more like Allen, who many fans don't see as the best fit stylistically. Great goalie for sure, but not a fit for the team. Husso is a positional goalie with good size who plays big and stops the shots he is supposed to. Sorokin (from reading scouting reports and an admittedly small sample size of viewing) is a skinny goalie who uses athleticism to great extent but has a tendency to slide out of position (Ryan Miller type, and that was a disaster for the Blues). Blues defense is best when pushing offense to the low-to-mid danger scoring areas. When goalies let shots in that the D funneled to safe areas, the D start to overplay in an effort to suppress all shots, and end up giving up way more high-danger chances. Elliott played more like Husso, and he has the best GAA, Save percentage and most shutouts amongst Blues all-time, despite not being the best goalie. He did so because his style fit really well in StL. So if Husso becomes a better version of Elliott, most Blues fans would be extremely happy rather than getting another Allen type, even if that type is more athletic and makes crazier saves.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I can't speak to what the Isles would do. However, it is possible for both teams to not like a deal. As a Blues fan, I wouldn't do it. Husso is the type of goalie that the Blues need. Sorokin is more like Allen, who many fans don't see as the best fit stylistically. Great goalie for sure, but not a fit for the team. Husso is a positional goalie with good size who plays big and stops the shots he is supposed to. Sorokin (from reading scouting reports and an admittedly small sample size of viewing) is a skinny goalie who uses athleticism to great extent but has a tendency to slide out of position (Ryan Miller type, and that was a disaster for the Blues). Blues defense is best when pushing offense to the low-to-mid danger scoring areas. When goalies let shots in that the D funneled to safe areas, the D start to overplay in an effort to suppress all shots, and end up giving up way more high-danger chances. Elliott played more like Husso, and he has the best GAA, Save percentage and most shutouts amongst Blues all-time, despite not being the best goalie. He did so because his style fit really well in StL. So if Husso becomes a better version of Elliott, most Blues fans would be extremely happy rather than getting another Allen type, even if that type is more athletic and makes crazier saves.

Ignore him. He thinks he knows everything.

Reactions: SI90

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Speculation: Sorokin is only moved in a deal to impact our ability to win this year and only if we vault into a playoff spot in the next 10-15 games. If we make it to the offseason, and only have to wait one more year for him, I dont think he's moved. At that point, the Tavares saga will have played out and the team will need a solid goalie either way.... FWIW, He seemed genuinely interested in/excited to be coming here after his current deal expires (in the interviews when he was here last offseason).

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
All things considered and with an eye towards the window that starts opening for the Blues next year, Husso is the best goalie in our system.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Speculation: Sorokin is only moved in a deal to impact our ability to win this year and only if we vault into a playoff spot in the next 10-15 games. If we make it to the offseason, and only have to wait one more year for him, I dont think he's moved. At that point, the Tavares saga will have played out and the team will need a solid goalie either way.... FWIW, He seemed genuinely interested in/excited to be coming here after his current deal expires (in the interviews when he was here last offseason).

offseason 2016 he came to rookie camp with good attitude , offseason 2017 he signed khl extention . Something happened on the way to paradise.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
offseason 2016 he came to rookie camp with good attitude , offseason 2017 he signed khl extention . Something happened on the way to paradise.
Yeah, it is called being offered a spot on the 2018 Olympic team.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
yeah that'll be something to tell the grandkids about --We won gold in 2018 wearing a jersey with a needle as a logo
Olympic officials had not penalized Russia for the doping scandal,at the time Sorokin signed.

No idea if it would have influenced his decision to sign.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
dell is better now and the isles aren't worried about the future. they're worried about the present and re-signing jt. also why wouldn't dell make it to free agency?

Based on what Darling fetched, a late 3rd from Carolina, Dell could be moved by the Sharks to another NHL team in need of a goalie, who could sign him before he hits UFA. Could be moved at the TDL to give the other team more time to sign him. There are only a few teams that Dell could step in and be the #1. As long as he lands with one of them, he's likely to sign. I mean, not like Darling, who was going to be a UFA, was going to pass up a contract from Carolina when his rights were traded.

Dell is likely to be the best goalie available via UFA. Grub from Washington would need assets to be acquired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad