Waived: [STL] F Jakub Vrana waived by the Blues (cleared)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
When he’s on he’s a true 1st/2nd liner player.

Problem is he’s only on for about 20-30 games a year due to injuries or seemingly having zero interest in hockey.

Reactions: Blueston

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If his country is fine with it, he's the kind of guy that seems like 1st line KHL player would be his longer term future. Europe is a much less appealing option if their countries don't want them to go the KHL though as the other leagues don't pay that well (NLA, for a few teams at least, is probably the best option but very limited import slots)

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
If his country is fine with it, he's the kind of guy that seems like 1st line KHL player would be his longer term future. Europe is a much less appealing option if their countries don't want them to go the KHL though as the other leagues don't pay that well (NLA, for a few teams at least, is probably the best option but very limited import slots)
He’d likely return to the SHL where he originally came from.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He won’t be claimed. This isn’t EA Sports. GMs and coaches have to care more about just getting a guy with a “90” for his shot release and who may help the PP once every ten games. The lack of commitment is glaring and not something any serious franchise is going to want to introduce into their mix.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He won’t be claimed. This isn’t EA Sports. GMs and coaches have to care more about just getting a guy with a “90” for his shot release and who may help the PP once every ten games. The lack of commitment is glaring and not something any serious franchise is going to want to introduce into their mix.
If he was gonna be claimed, I'm sure he would have been traded for a bag of pucks or something already, as I'm sure they kicked the tires around to see if anyone was interested.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
Has he always shown the same deficiencies, or is this something where as he got a little more money he kind of became a different guy?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You’d have to be one desperate manager to claim, or even trade (50%) for him at this point.

When the two most respected managers in the game, have now thrown him out with yesterday’s trash, anyone thinking their outcome with Vrana would be any different, is just a complete moron.

3 teams have now given up on an extremely talented player. Anyone who believes that trade was Mantha for Vrana needs a reality check. Vrana was a throw-in. No different than Jake Walman was in the Leddy trade. Nobody was talking about Vrana in Detroit. They were talking about getting a 1st and 2nd for Mantha, and “if” Vrana ever screwed his head on straight, maybe they’d get a rejuvenated player, taking advantage of a second chance. He already had a reputation.

Nothing more than that, was ever the expectation from Detroit’s POV. Looking back at it now, the team going through a major rebuild has two very talented young players in their system.

That’s the goal when rebuilding teams make trades like that. You don’t trade “FOR” a Jakob Vrana. You take a player like him added in, to make the deal work.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If he was gonna be claimed, I'm sure he would have been traded for a bag of pucks or something already, as I'm sure they kicked the tires around to see if anyone was interested.
I think teams probably wanted Blues to take back an equal contract. There really is only a handful of teams that can afford him right now at full price, so that's probably why there wasn't a trade made. Maybe a CHI has interest in him if he clears in hopes of being able to dump some sort of contract on the Blues and the hopes he can get going before the trade deadline.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I am going to assume that yesterday, an email was sent out saying he was available for next to nothing and they got zero replies. Thus, waivers. I expect him to clear.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think teams probably wanted Blues to take back an equal contract. There really is only a handful of teams that can afford him right now at full price, so that's probably why there wasn't a trade made. Maybe a CHI has interest in him if he clears in hopes of being able to dump some sort of contract on the Blues and the hopes he can get going before the trade deadline.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Vrana may be confused/arrogant/stupid/high enough, to agree to a termination, should nobody claim him. To try and find his own deal, or just call it a day in North America..

It would be a nice Christmas present for both the Blues and Detroit. Obviously the Blues probably don’t want him around their AHL team either. This situation may not end with him not being claimed and just going down to play in the AHL.

Not sorry for having no sympathy for a guy given this many chances.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Vrana may be confused/arrogant/stupid/high enough, to agree to a termination, should nobody claim him. To try and find his own deal, or just call it a day in North America..

It would be a nice Christmas present for both the Blues and Detroit. Obviously the Blues probably don’t want him around their AHL team either. This situation may not end with him not being claimed and just going down to play in the AHL.

Not sorry for having no sympathy for a guy given this many chances.

I hate to say it but I'm at that point as well. If he's not willing to do what's being asked as a pro athlete (effort... sobriety...), he's going to be out of hockey soon enough.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
When he’s on he’s a true 1st/2nd liner player.

Problem is he’s only on for about 20-30 games a year due to injuries or seemingly having zero interest in hockey.
Just seems like a guy who wants to use his talent and not much else. I.e. not gonna do the difficult and boring things to ensure good all-around play, consistency, and being in top shape in your 30s. Someone could still get a decent season out of him for cheap though. But I think he needs to collect his paycheck in the AHL for the rest of this year and then sign for league minimum next year to get a wake-up call. Probably will need to sign somewhere that has a former Caps coach on their staff so that someone he knows can keep him motivated.

His longtime girlfriend is an Insta model so maybe she pressures him to get his ass in gear for one more payday before he goes back to float around with his skill in Europe.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad